Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking into accessories and my main concern is that the Rear skid plate option seems to dictate if I can have a towbar fitted or not, why on earthwould this stop a towbar being fitted, surely this is'nt the case with most other vehicles, is it? Can it be lightly bodged to makea towbarwork/fit?

I've already established that my dealer isn't helpfull in matters of new Sportage knowledge or honesty
so I'm after some help from those in the know please.

P.S. Silly question now but just need other people to confirm my understanding - If an order confirmation to Kia for the order of my car has a certain date at the top of it labelled as 'Order date' is this the date the order was first placed?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I suppose it depends which you need most...a tow bar or a silver bit of plastic screwed to the bottom of the bumper!!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
AyOwZe said:
Hi,

I'm looking into accessories and my main concern is that the Rear skid plate option seems to dictate if I can have a towbar fitted or not, why on earthwould this stop a towbar being fitted, surely this is'nt the case with most other vehicles, is it? Can it be lightly bodged to makea towbarwork/fit?
I think you may have it the wrong way round... the towbar option will dictate whether, or not, you can have a rear skid plate fitted.

I suspect it may be possible to have both but how much you have to trim the skid plate will depend on the make of towbar you choose.

BTW How much is the skid plate?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ashtons99 said:
I suppose it depends which you need most...a tow bar or a silver bit of plastic screwed to the bottom of the bumper!!

True!

Techno said:
I think you may have it the wrong way round... the towbar option will dictate whether, or not, you can have a rear skid plate fitted.

I suspect it may be possible to have both but how much you have to trim the skid plate will depend on the make of towbar you choose.

BTW How much is the skid plate?

Again I think you may be right, I just like the look of the skid plates but the towbar would be themost useful

I think the price of it is around £95, like you I suspect that it is probably possible to have both but the online photos are too small and do not have enough detail so I was hoping someone may have experience with it. I'm hoping to go for the Detachable Witter Flange Neck as I think that they leave very little trace of a towbar being fitted once detached.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'd get the towbar fitted and then see if you can find a dealer willing to let you offer up a skid plate.

Pretty much anything can be made to fit anything... if you are determined enough.

I wondered if a tin of silver paint might give the effect (and about as much protection) as the factory option skid plate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll do that, thank you.

A roll of tin foil and some wall paper paste would be even cheaper!

Can anyone confirm which exact towbar to get so that when removed you will hardly be able to tell? I've heard of electrics being able to fold back etc.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine is a Witter detatchable swan-neck with 13 pin electrics and it disappears completely. You can't retract the twin electrics. I converted my caravan to 13 pin by buying a 13 pin connector with a 2-hole grommet for the 2 old-style s.cable

·
Registered
564 Posts
I also have a Witter detachable swan neck. I have angled the bracket for the (in my case single) electrics and you can hardly see anything. No skid plate fitted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks people,

In my (very limited) understanding the swan necks cannot take a bike rack as well as towing something at the same time, is this right?

I quite like the idea of towing a trailer tent and taking the family bikes along too.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
You are correct. You can get a detachable flange type hitch though. Witter IIRC.

I intend to fit one.

Edit: You need factor in the weight of the bikes with the nose weight of the trailer. Otherwise you could exceed the rated tow hitch weight.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had the Witter detachable flange type fitted at the dealers for the same reason. as Techno says though you got to be carefull with the noseweight on the towbar, I find my caravan very close to the max weight and have to load the van to account for it. the other thing is I have single 13 pin electrics but they dont retract (or if they do I can't do it lol)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Well I fitted a Witter detachable flange towbar today. When the package arrived (£179 from eBay) I was initially a bit dubious as the instructions amounted to one picture and a parts list on an A4 sheet of paper. However, I needn't have worried because it was all pretty straightforward and probably only took an hour to bolt all the bits to the back of the car. One of the easiest towbar installations I have done.

Towball on...

Towball off, electrics bracket retracted...

Towball off and electric bracket down...

Just got the electrics to do now.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great to see the photo's Techno, just what I wanted to see before I take the plunge
and buy a tow bar.

I'm very interested to see how you get on with with the electrics. If you get the chance
to take some step by step photo's that would be most helpful :)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
smithouse said:
BTW, what's the deal with the 2 photo's of the electrics bracket, is it hinged so as to be hidden when not in use?

Ha ha! My wife asked the same question. She couldn't see any difference until I pointed it out to her.

Yes, most detachable tow bars have a hinged bracket for the electrical socket so that it swings up out of sight when not in use. Obviously, it will only work with a single socket, although I expect you could get creative if you need twin electrics. The Witter bracket is a fairly crude and retained by friction as opposed to the nice spring loaded ratcheting system on a Thule bar I recently fitted.

I'm going to fit the electrics shortly. I've decided to splash out on the both the Kia wiring and wiring extension kits to give full 13 pin functionality. I've been quoted £175 for both kits together. If I have time I may take pictures and post the job up on here (if it hasn't already been done.) I may have to break it down into two parts though and do the basic electrics first as, by all accounts, the extension kit is a bit tricky to fit.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">Yes, I think it was about £120 on its own. It sounds a lot but it will just plug in (for the most part) and should avoid any issues with future warranty claims.
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">

<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">This the towbar I bought...Witter Detachable Flange Towbar
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">

<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">It's ten quid cheaper than when I bought it last Thursday!!!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Here are the part numbers for the KIA wiring kits...

3W621ADE00CP 13 pin wiring harness PLUG IN - 13 pin with Reversing Aid cancellation £95.58 + VAT
AC09236030 13 pin supplemental PLUG IN use with3W621ADE00CP only £49.99 + VAT

You only need the top one if you are only going to tow a trailer. You will need both if you want full caravan electrics.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
An update to the above. It seems that there are no supplemental 13 pin wiring kits available in the UK at the the moment so they will need to be specially ordered from Korea. Quoted 2-3 weeks wait, so probably 4-6 weeks in the real world.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
A further update.

It seems that, despite being on the KIA system, the13 pin supplemental plug in wiring kit (AC09236030) necessary for towing a caravan andcosting£59is no longer available and has beensupersededby another kit costing £230!

That's on top of the cost of the basic kit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts