Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a lovely and almost immaculate blue 2019 4 T-GDi and want to fit a tow bar for towing my glider and bike rack.

I've had a really good search thro the forum, but still have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone who has fitted a tow bar can help with :)

I've fitted a tow bar recently to a mini cooper, so not a total newbie to this, but want to go in with my eyes open..
The mini was much older so I wasnt so worried about removing the rear valance/bumper, tho actually it all went fine..

Looking at the install manuals for the usual suspects witter/ umbridge etc.. they all seem to suggest you've got to take the rear bumper off to install the tow bar ?

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Electric blue

Font Art Number Pattern Brand

White Motor vehicle Organism Automotive design Gesture

Is that right, or can you get it on by just lowering the exhaust, like in the many USA based youtube videos ?

Most of the posts seem to suggest the towbar fitting only takes ~45 mins, which would suggest dropping the exhaust rather then taking the back valance off ?

For the electrics, I appreciate I need to get a car specific kit... I dont want to be scotchlocking it !!

I only want the basic single 7 pin electrics (12N towing electrics), so wont need to run an additional 12v feed from the main battery, but... I also dont want to be cutting into any looms if I can avoid it.

but...
the pfjones 'dedicated' kit @£130
seems to need a few cuts/joints in a few wires including the canbus....
Human body Jaw Organism Gesture Font

White Organism Line Font Slope

is that right ?

Or has anyone used the much much more expensive kia oem kit ?
TOW BAR WIRING KIT 7 PIN 12N F1620ADE00CP £253.00

does that still need some cutting/jointing, or is it all proper connectors only ?

the pictures on kia site dont help much... it doesnt look like ready made connectors only...
Tire Automotive tire Light Product Black

So I'd like to know if the extra £100 means no scotch lock type connectors, or if its the same as the pfjones kit..

thanks for any advice, if I undertake it, then I'll take some pictures to document the steps :)

Toby

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
578 Posts
Instructions are available here - looks like a simple plug and play affair

Any reason you want a Witter and not the factory Kia one?

Those instructions also suggest removing the bumper to fit the wiring loom back in and trim the bumper. It probably could be done with it in place, but they are almost fool proof in removal and re-fitting these days.

EDIT: Appears the rear crash bar is replaced so would need to remove the bumper to do that. If there are videos showing you how to online, then it must be possible with that specific kit

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I can't answer both your questions, the dealer fitted my tow bar before delivery. However I can confirm the rear bumper cross member needs to be removed, mine is in the loft to pass on when I change car. It is not unique to Kia, our last two Vauxhall Insignia's also had the bumper cross member removed.
I can't comment on the electrics other than to point out using the Kia kit will protect the warranty, should you ever need to claim.
Edit: The 2020 GT Line did not need a bumper cut.

Reactions: nimbus_kia

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the quick replies, and with exactly the info I was after (y)

I'd looked on the UK Kia website, but whilst it vaguely has the parts, its not obvious where the install docs are.

That mobisweb site has it all, and make it obvious how it fits together..

So definitely will be getting the kia electrics,

reason for looking at a witter or other brand tow bar... well

kia towbar £506
witter £236...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
funny you should say that....
I was just looking thro the kia uk website and adding to basket..
and it only tells you its a ''fitted price' at that point.. not when you are browsing... doh ;)

So the electrics are £253 fitted.... I wonder if they will supply them cheaper unfitted...

or if can you order from that EU site..

as that with a fitted towbar its £759... which is roughly £350 over fitting it myself for a days entertainment..

Guess a call to the local kia parts dept is in order...

In other news... loving the car so far... I've come from an original rav4 and then a Qashqai...

We looked at Sportages 6 years back, and went for the Qashqai.. Now we've updated the car we've really realised what we've been missing.. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
I wouldn't be to worried about the Kia tow bar. We ordered both our last Sportage and our current car new and fitted with a tow bar. In both cases the dealer fitted the tow bar, on the 2017 Sportage it was a Kia supplied Al-Ko (re-branded Kia) on the current car it is a TowTrust. The current car, fully fitted with Kia 13 pin electrics was £750.

·
Registered
2017 2.0 Diesel AWD KX3
508 Posts
I like the TowTrust detachable bars and fited them to my last (2014) Sportage and a Soul. Along with dedicated electrics. Its the removing of the trim panels to access and run the wires which can be a slight headache. There are films on Youtube and the specific wiring instructions are fairly comprehensive.
The only issue was that when insurance renewal came up and I informed them that a towbar was fitted they did ask if it was fitted by a 'professional' fitter. So its wise to have a suitable answer. Mine was that in a previous life I was authorised to test and inspect vehicles so was competent to fit it. None have fallen off yet. :p

·
Registered
2018 (68) Sportage 1.6 CRDI 4 - 7 speed auto with factory side steps in Laser blue.
19 Posts
I like the TowTrust detachable bars and fited them to my last (2014) Sportage and a Soul. Along with dedicated electrics. Its the removing of the trim panels to access and run the wires which can be a slight headache. There are films on Youtube and the specific wiring instructions are fairly comprehensive.
The only issue was that when insurance renewal came up and I informed them that a towbar was fitted they did ask if it was fitted by a 'professional' fitter. So its wise to have a suitable answer. Mine was that in a previous life I was authorised to test and inspect vehicles so was competent to fit it. None have fallen off yet. :p
Direct line didn't care if towbar has been fitted or not on my 68 1.6 Sportage '4' - made no difference from an insurance point of view and I had fitted it all myself :)

·
Registered
2018 (68) Sportage 1.6 CRDI 4 - 7 speed auto with factory side steps in Laser blue.
19 Posts
funny you should say that....
I was just looking thro the kia uk website and adding to basket..
and it only tells you its a ''fitted price' at that point.. not when you are browsing... doh ;)

So the electrics are £253 fitted.... I wonder if they will supply them cheaper unfitted...

or if can you order from that EU site..

as that with a fitted towbar its £759... which is roughly £350 over fitting it myself for a days entertainment..

Guess a call to the local kia parts dept is in order...

In other news... loving the car so far... I've come from an original rav4 and then a Qashqai...

We looked at Sportages 6 years back, and went for the Qashqai.. Now we've updated the car we've really realised what we've been missing.. :rolleyes:
I fitted towbar myself in day. Towbar and electrics both KIA to maintain warranty and for ease of connection (Parts £315 all in). Not too difficult but it is 5th one I have done on various cars. Only improvment would have been if there was a 12v block to plug in the boot area rather than having to route cable to battery. I too swapped from Qashqai to Sportage - no comparison and would never buy another Qashqai after all the trouble I had with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts