Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be fitting a twin socket towbar to my 2005 Uk Sedona.
Anything I should be aware of?
Is the wiring canbus? I'm assuming not.

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi there, the only problem I had with mine was the kit for the aux power (grey socket) did not have enough cable with it to reach from the battery to the relay(I used a smart relay to avoid messing about with other electrics, its not that I cant, its just that the smart relay is an easier option.)

I found the sedona quite easy to fit electrics to, most of the interior panels are quite self explanatory to remove (no hidden fixings)

·
Registered
399 Posts
wires can be routed underneath the car quite safely, as long as they are secured. Wired the switched live to my relays from the rear cigar lighter rather than from the alternator

·
Registered
399 Posts
have to lift the bottom plastic cover at the rear, loosen the o/s/r panel (lower part at rear). Relay/s can be inserted behind the lower part of the panel. Or if you prefer you can route the cables to the n/s/r and insert them below the jack. In either circumstances, secure with padding.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes. You can connect 2x in-line fuses (on many that I have fitted,2x 20amp fuse is required) close to the + terminal for ease of access. Secure the wires just below the fuse so that they aren't pulled out of the fuse terminal. Try 2x 15amp fuses first. I suspect that this answer will start another thread Re a suitable rating fuse?

Sorry for the late reply, knackered and went to bed early!
Edited by: MININUT

·
Registered
399 Posts
Straight down from the battery, along the underside. cross over to the o/s close to the spare wheel carrier, along the chassis you may need to drill I cant recall exactly, or there mightbe agrommet. You can secure with cable ties all along where the brake lines are clipped.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Obviously, if the sheath on the wires are cracked or have cuts, they would be useless. I taped the length of both wires together for extra protection and security

·
Registered
399 Posts
if the wire is strong enough? one will sufice. What amperage is the wire? if your not sure buy another to tandem. It should say on the kit if its suitable to service the fridge and charge the c'van battery. I am still on the old system of two wires, but, yes I have checked that modern kits are only supplied with one suitable wire.I never buy the kits, they are too expensive for what they are. The unit incorporates two small relays which usually lasts 366 days. I have re-wired quite a few vehicles with the modern system. I hope yours lasts a long time

Just make sure you fit an in-line fuse to the supply wire. No need to fuse the wire from the cigar lighter, just check the vehicle's fuse rating, it should be at least 10 amp! Let us know how you get on m623d!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Must say I have made my own wiring with twin fused relays and wiring in the past, but this came with the towbar, so I'll give it a go

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re bumper removal,
do you need to remove 5 bolts in each wheel arch? arent 2 of them just for the liner?
also one behind each light, 4 across top.....

Anymore.....

just getting prepared to remove on Sunday to fit the bar

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
phew, just fitted the bar.fairly straight forward, but prob worse bar ive had to fit (and i've done a few!)
just got twin electrics to do this weekend ready to pick my new caravan up on tues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts