Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Touch-up paint

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Cold Sausage 
#1 ·
Hello

Much to my annoyance, I've recently picked up a couple of stone chips on my driver's door, so I'm looking for some touch-up paint.

Having a quick search on Amazon and Ebay there seems to be a multitude of different suppliers, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good supplier.

Thanks

#4 ·
Just one thing to note (I assume your Picanto is silver and thus metallic). I have not come across any metallic and perfectly matched touch up paint yet that does the job of both a base and clear coat (as in an "all in one" product). So if you end up finding one, especially if it is an official Kia touch up paint, I would love to know. Perhaps they exist but I have only ever seen them in the spray cans where they use incredibly thin and fragile paint.

I have only seen touch up metallic paint in the small jars that operate as the base coat and the final finish of that coat is a mat finish only. So you would normally have to put the corresponding clear coat on top of it if you want gloss. But in all my experience, these metallic touch up paints go much darker than the surrounding paint once the clear coat is put on. I have never found a way around it except to simply just put the colour coat on and put up with the mat finish.

I have had this problem with both family Picantos - my Pop Orange one and the Green one. I think my next Kia might just be plain white because at least the white paint from a Kia dealer in Melbourne was an all in one paint (so colour and glossy).

#6 ·
Is your car the silver metallic as shown in your avatar? If so can you please report back as to how perfect a colour match the official Kia touch up paint is to the original paint and also whether the touch up paint gives the same gloss finish or is just a mat finish. As I mentioned I searched in vein for a gloss finish metallic touch up paint that actually matched however I cannot get the OEM Kia paint here in Australia - I would probably have to order from the UK.

#9 ·
Good luck with colour matches etc,I have found that even genuine paints are not usually a good match.
Most of my fairly recent touch up paints have been 2 or 3 part,the 2 part is usually the colour coat and then clear laquer/topcoat.

#10 ·
I currently have a third party one part metallic which is an absolutely perfect match. Except when the clear coat goes on. That makes it too dark. So yes I will certainly be interested to test the "all in one" I have just ordered. I think the Kia / Hyundai I buy next will probably be plain white unless I can find a touch up paint that actually matches in both colour and gloss levels. Colour matching is always the problem with metallic paints.

#12 ·
Sorry to hear the paint you bought wasn't a match Cold Sausage

I collected the Kia touch up kit I had ordered last Saturday (was told the price has since gone up to £15).

Please find below some photos of the box and bottles, along with a scan of the instructions.

Fluid Liquid Chemical compound Red Font
Liquid Fluid Personal care Cosmetics Material property

Font Material property Art Screenshot Pattern

Hopefully, the info proves useful.

I'm hoping a have a go at one of my stone chips over the weekend, though plan to use the toothpick method, rather than the supplied brush.
I'm still contemplating whether to give the dabber in the cap a go after that...

#13 ·
Thanks for the excellent info. If you don't mind, once you have tested it I am interested in how well the colour matched just when you have put the base coat on only and then after you have put the clear coat on. It will probably change colour once the clear coat is put on.

#14 ·
Just an update. In fairness to the third party paint vendor I had linked to above, they did sort out the issue very quickly by way of a refund once I had given them a photo showing the correct colour versus what I actually got. I might also add that although the paint was described as having an integrated top coat, it still only came out with a mat finish once dry - just like a colour only coat from a two-part kit.

Reactions: iooi
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.