Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 2011 Sportage 3 which I've had since summer 2014 and has been fantastic, however a couple of days ago when I got in and turned the ignition the touch screen came up with the 'Kia Motors' splash screen logo (shown below) as usual but has been stuck on that ever since. The radio is still working as you can hear it, the volume can be adjusted etc but pressing any of the hardware buttons that surround the screen don't do anything. When I put it into reverse, the screen shows the rear camera, although the guide lines aren't shown anymore either.

I've tried a software upgrade with the version available earlier this month from USB stick and it doesn't look it it's even trying to read from the USB drive anymore and doesn't present any option to start off the upgrade like it should - just stays on the splash screen 'Kia Motors'.

Has anyone had this before / got any suggestions before I book it in?

P.S. The example of the kia motors splash screen below isn't mine, found it online to save taking a photo of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I read on a Hyundia forum, that turning the car off for 30 minutes cured it, but i guess this is not the case.I think i'd be tempted to remove the battery for half an hour
or determine which fuses to pull, (may be a yellow plug which holds 2 fuses.)

I also read on the US forum when a long press (about 15 seconds) on the power button does some sort of reset.

I believe the audio system only has a 2 year guarantee, so getting it going is probably your only option.

Edited by: keat99

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the long power button press, didn't seem to do anything. Hope that isn't the cause for the audio system - I got it from a Kia dealership in summer last year so I guess it might still be covered by them?

Will give the battery or fuses a go sometime, quite a strange thing to happen though - it's like the software has partially booted.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Try pulling the fuse, top left fuse if I remember rightly (box by your right knee).
The darn SatNav is powered all the time.
In the early days lockups were common & pulling the fuse was the only way to reset it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions, I did try pulling the audio fuse this morning in a real rush, it seems to be in a holder and didn't come all the way out but seemed like it came out enough. I should try it with the car on next time to make sure - will report back what, if anything, happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried again yesterday, it definitely was pulled out far enough, audio / touch screen cuts out (lights on the surrounding buttons stay on though), cabin lights go out, even turns off whatever does the RF for remove key fob locking.. I guess there could be some big caps in there so might try leaving it out for a longer period next time.Not sure what else I can try.. I'm assuming part of the boot loader is broken since it won't read from USB devices and doesn't appear to boot properly with the stuck splash screen but then the audio (and control for it) is still working - bizarre!

·
Registered
2 Posts
did you guys find a solution for this
i also have this problem as of yesterday. Pulled yellow fuse out (to remove fully u have to squeeze the rear ends together to release the clips once fuse is in partial removal position) this made no difference to the problem though. Anybody got any ideas how to
get the touchscreen back pls?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read on a Hyundia forum, that turning the car off for 30 minutes cured it, but i guess this is not the case.I think i'd be tempted to remove the battery for half an hour
or determine which fuses to pull, (may be a yellow plug which holds 2 fuses.)

I also read on the US forum when a long press (about 15 seconds) on the power button does some sort of reset.

I believe the audio system only has a 2 year guarantee, so getting it going is probably your only option.

Edited by: keat99
I have just had the problem where the screen was frozen, in that I couldn't press anything on the touch screen. I could switch from radio to media to map to nav buttons but couldn't do anything whilst I got there. I have just tried the holding ignition for a long press and its worked after 2 days of a frozen screen. Saves me a trip to the dealer lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have just had the problem where the screen was frozen, in that I couldn't press anything on the touch screen. I could switch from radio to media to map to nav buttons but couldn't do anything whilst I got there. I have just tried the holding ignition for a long press and its worked after 2 days of a frozen screen. Saves me a trip to the dealer lol
Sadly I think your happiness will be short lived as what you described is usually a pre cursor to a failing touch panel. Common problem on these head units but should it fail completely drop me a message and I should be able to help at a fraction of the cost a dealer would charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sadly I think your happiness will be short lived as what you described is usually a pre cursor to a failing touch panel. Common problem on these head units but should it fail completely drop me a message and I should be able to help at a fraction of the cost a dealer would charge.
Hi, I have same problem with my Kia MOHAVE for past one year. Can you help?

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
Very old thread.
Have you tried a pin in the reset button?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts