Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 4+ Jan 21, 70 plate
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Is it just me getting old or are manufacturers trying to get rid of every button in there cars. Just had a test drive of anEV6 and watched the video of the new Niro and all the heater/radio buttons seem to have gone to either a touch sensitive strip or onto the centre screen. To me it looks very sleek but will be a nightmare to use without looking away from the road. At least with a button layout you learn where they are and can do most things by feel while keeping your eyes where they should be. Thought the best driver aid on the EV6 was the head up display on the windscreen. Best one I've seen yet.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,483 Posts
Hi all,
Is it just me getting old or are manufacturers trying to get rid of every button in there cars. Just had a test drive of anEV6 and watched the video of the new Niro and all the heater/radio buttons seem to have gone to either a touch sensitive strip or onto the centre screen. To me it looks very sleek but will be a nightmare to use without looking away from the road. At least with a button layout you learn where they are and can do most things by feel while keeping your eyes where they should be. Thought the best driver aid on the EV6 was the head up display on the windscreen. Best one I've seen yet.
Agree - faffing around with centrally mounted touch screens is dangerous. Fixed controls can be found by touch.

A further issue will be the warranty situation as it's not much use having a 7 year warranty on the car components if there is only 3 year warranty on the screen that controls them.

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
To be honest with buttons you look away from the road.

But agree while it looks neat. There was nothing wrong with the old set up.

Hope that the Parking Brake is not in the same place as same place as some of the new Sportage.

What's wrong with the old position?

Car Vehicle Speedometer Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
371 Posts
Does the parking brake not automatically come on on ignition off? On our Volvo, once the engine start/stop button is pressed to turn it off, the parking brake comes on automatically. In that instance it isn't a big issue where it is

·
Registered
47 Posts
A further issue will be the warranty situation as it's not much use having a 7 year warranty on the car components if there is only 3 year warranty on the screen that controls them.
Where does it say that?

I've just looks at the T&Cs for the Kia warranty and can't see any mention of a shorter warranty period for the screen.

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
Audio and navigation units
The original audio and navigation units are covered for 36 months or 60,000 miles from the date of first registration, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
371 Posts
I've just looks at the T&Cs for the Kia warranty and can't see any mention of a shorter warranty period for the screen.
emphasis added

The question that comes out of this is what parts of the system that you use are considered audio and navigation and which are controls of the car. Arguably the touch screen, if used for core controls of the car, isn't an audio or navigation unit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
emphasis added

The question that comes out of this is what parts of the system that you use are considered audio and navigation and which are controls of the car. Arguably the touch screen, if used for core controls of the car, isn't an audio or navigation unit.
Exactly. I was in the middle of typing a reply along the same lines when I saw your response. If the screen dies completely you also lose access to the various vehicle setting menus and have reduced HVAC functionality, both of which I would expect to be covered under warranty.

·
Read Only
66 Posts
Part of the attraction of the Proceed over the new 22 Sportage is the physical buttons for climate and radio.

I find the combination of muscle memory and the tactile feedback that physical buttons offer make them easier to locate and use when on the move.

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
Just what they would class the combined audio/Heating control as I do not know? But would say just like the old style switches it is possibly not within the Audio/ Navigation group.
Audio/Navigation is usually the Infotainment unit.
As far as it goes that is the only change & is the same as in the EV6.

End of the day is it something to worry about, as there are far more important things that can go wrong.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line S RWD in runway red. Bought November 2021 to replace eNiro bought November 2020
6 Posts
LKA is to prevent you drifting into another lane causing a danger to another driver. Your own safety is secondary.
This is why it is becoming compulsory this year for new vehicles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Before the Niro, I had a Mazda 6 which had a sort of joystick thing near the gears with which you could move about the screen and select things. At first I didn't use it much as I had to look at the screen to see what it was doing, but I quickly became able to use it without looking and found it a much more positive way and safer of controlling screen based controls. I often try to select a button on the Kia screen (especially the mute guidance one) and find I have slightly missed and have to try again. I think some BMWs Mercs have a similar joystick.

·
Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro 4
251 Posts
The rotating and moveable dial in my old Mercedes was a joy to use to navigate round the screen, in a similar position to the drive selector on the E-Niro, would be good to have a similar system and move the drive selector elsewhere.

·
Registered
63 Posts
One of the things that drew me to the ProCeed was the physical knobs and buttons for the HVAC controls. My current car is a Honda HR-V and the HVAC controls are all touch screen - and they are a nightmare to use on the move (even more so in winter with gloves on). They are low down so you need to take your eyes off the road to first find where to touch and then to make the adjustments - boarder line on dangerous! In my view anything that needs to be adjusted while driving should have a physical knob/button on the dashboard or on the steering wheel. The less time you have to take your eyes off the road the better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts