Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well?

I have always pronounced it 'Sportarge' but I have noticed that on some US advertisements they pronounce it 'Sportidge'.

Does anyone know the official KIA pronunciation?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting, I noticed the opposite when I listen to the video on the UK Kia Sportage website. "Sportarge" does sound more European.

Yes, I'm a newbie "Sportidge"owner from across the pond. I'm on a couple of other Kia Sportage forums, so I thought I would join this one. I have made friends with Sportage owners from around the world on the forums. It has been amazing to find such a huge following for a vehicle from so many countries. There is a very big following of Sportage fans in Russia. This brings me back to the original topic about how Sportage is pronounced. It seems to me that Kia has done a great job of adapting the Sportage to many different cultures around the world, making it a true world class vehicle. But no matter how you pronounce the name, it is still the same great car wherever it is sold.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Sage said:
Interesting, I noticed the opposite when I listen to the video on the UK Kia Sportage website. "Sportarge" does sound more European.

Steady... for a lot of people in the UK,Europe is a dirty word.

Welcome to this forum. BTW you can tell your friends that your car is made in Europe, Slovakia to be precise, and not Korea.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
10 Posts
Techno said:
Steady... for a lot of people in the UK,Europe is a dirty word.

Welcome to this forum. BTW you can tell your friends that your car is made in Europe, Slovakia to be precise, and not Korea.

OK, I take back that it sounds European, it does sound more British. I know about the assembly in Slovakia and I also know there is a waiting list for many models. Kia has a new assembly plant in the USA, but is not yet building Sportages here yet.

As for how Sportage is pronounced, I think I prefer the UK version and will know use it to describe my car from now on.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Slight correction Techno, I you may find the the "Sportiges" for the US market are made in Korea , The Slovakia plant seems to be for the European Market as I understand

·
Registered
197 Posts
'Sportidge' sounds a bit like the way we Brits pronounce 'garage'
'Sportarge' sounds a bit like the way North Americans pronounce 'garage'

So why is it Sportarge in the UK and Sportidge in N America when it should be the other way around?

Richard

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">
kiaman said:
Slight correction Techno, I you may find the the "Sportiges" for the US market are made in Korea , The Slovakia plant seems to be for the European Market as I understand
Yes, I found that out today after I'd made that post. Typical! If they've only got to make cars for Europe it makes you wonder why there is such a backlog.

Blow-in said:
'Sportidge' sounds a bit like the way we Brits pronounce 'garage'
'Sportarge' sounds a bit like the way North Americans pronounce 'garage'

So why is it Sportarge in the UK and Sportidge in N America when it should be the other way around?

Richard

Garidge??? It must depend on where you come from because 'garage' is most definitely pronounced 'gararge' around here.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sportage pronounced as if you were posh and saying garaaage, not garage as in the word age, so it's kind of a soft ajh sound. Pretend you're French. Actually maybe don't lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Techno said:
<DIV style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; MARGIN: 2px; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.4; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px; -: none">[ If they've only got to make cars for Europe it makes you wonder why there is such a backlog.

[

the reason of the back log I heard from my dealer is that there is mroe than 30,000 ordered Sportages for europeONLY, waiting to be made in slovakia, and that does not include the ones on the production lines. these are only orders that have not even come close to the production line. This is why if you place custom orders, like i did, you end up with a estimated delivery time of 9mnths!!!

He did mention though that KIA is taking up more workeers, a 1000 of them actually to make one more shift, so they can deliver on the orders.

I guess they did not expect to see such a great interest in their cars considering the fact that there was "almost" no interest in their cars they made before schreyer came in. AFAIK, Hyundai bought KIA, and the hyundai ix35 ( SUV based on same chasis as Sportage ) does not have the same problem of delivery since the interest on those cars are almost the same it has been the last few years, so the hyundai factories can clear the orders in expected time.
Edited by: kaivish

·
Registered
140 Posts
"The correct way is the queens english ergo 'Sportage', ignore the rest - more so the Yanks!
"

I wonder how one would pronounce "menage" then

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kaivish said:
AFAIK, Hyundai bought KIA, and the hyundai ix35 ( SUV based on same chasis as Sportage ) does not have the same problem of delivery since the interest on those cars are almost the same it has been the last few years, so the hyundai factories can clear the orders in expected time.
One ofthedealers I visitedalsosold Hyundais (sp?) and I asked him if there was a clash of interests as the ix35 was pretty much the same car underneath. He told me no because, in his experience, they appealed to different age groups. He didn't say which age group preferred which car though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sportage is pronounced both ways by Kia employees in this video.

http://youtu.be/tSnJv5RAhRk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Actually, I think the correct pronunciation is 'Sportaj' or Sport- Tage'.
Sportarge has an extra 'r' that isn't needed.
Sportidge is just silly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
belgrave said:
"The correct way is the queens english ergo 'Sportage', ignore the rest - more so the Yanks!
"

I wonder how one would pronounce "menage" then
The same way.

You can stop wondering now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Which way is that then ??? - you missed the point - a little too subtle - you can start wondering again !!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I say Tomato

1 - 18 of 18 Posts