Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a problem as such, more a thanks because I wouldn't have known what to do without this forum.

Yesterday I was driving down a local dual carriageway at 50 mph when I started getting a vibration through the steering wheel. Felt like either a flat tyre or the road was corrugated. So I stopped in a layby and checked the wheels etc. Nothing untoward. So I pulled the TCC fuse. Problem gone. So the TOD was engaging. Today swapped tyres front to back and replaced the fuse and all is good. Oddly though it looks as though I had more tread on the rear tyres than the front before I swapped them.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The Borg Warner TOD transfer case is very sensitive to tyre wear,tyre pressure,different tyre brands front to back....it will engage the magnetic clutch very quickly, faster than you could do so manually....so yes even 1 mm. difference equates to enough rolling circumference to make it engage...you can either fit the modification or make sure the rear tyres (on a mk1) have deeper tread than the front.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Borg Warner TOD transfer case is very sensitive to tyre wear,tyre pressure,different tyre brands front to back....it will engage the magnetic clutch very quickly, faster than you could do so manually....so yes even 1 mm. difference equates to enough rolling circumference to make it engage...you can either fit the modification or make sure the rear tyres (on a mk1) have deeper tread than the front.
Identical tyres all round bought as a set.

·
Registered
573 Posts
In that case, you may have a faulty speed sensor?..there are 2 speed sensors , 1 on the front and rear propshafts in the transfer case which detect the speed imbalance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we're slightly at cross purposes. The tyres were bought as a set a year ago

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Sorento MK1 with TOD need tyres rotating back to front every 6 months as the backs wear much faster due to the drive going to the rear axle.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
or fit the mod kit, you can then mix and match tyres without any problems coming from the tod box,

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not worth fitting the mod kit. I don't think the car will last more than another year without more welding. I can just pull the fuse or fit a switch. There are no lights on the dash when I do that.
As I said though, the front tyres were more worn than the rear which I thought odd.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
It's not worth fitting the mod kit. I don't think the car will last more than another year without more welding. I can just pull the fuse or fit a switch. There are no lights on the dash when I do that.
As I said though, the front tyres were more worn than the rear which I thought odd.
Agree, you don't need the kit on that model and a switch will do fine.

Your comments on tyre wear would strongly suggest that yours is normally FWD with on demand AWD. Perhaps it is a transitional model? Is it late 2009?

I once owned a 1974 MG Midget. In that year there was a revisoin to the rear brakes. To cut a very long story short it turned out that mine had a pre-transition slave cylinder on one side and a post transition cylinder on the other (slightly different diameter) ! Gotta love that BL quality control.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
As it is a 2006 model there I something wrong for fronts to wear more than rears. Front wheel drive did not start until 2010 model Sorentos

Reactions: rcwood08

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2006. There does appear to be a slight tracking error on the front right which I'll sort out when it stops raining (I've got a Gunson Trakrite which is reasonably accurate).

·
Registered
573 Posts
So, back to the original post..TOD engaging, better tread on the rear if the front tyres are more worn would seem to indicate a fault with the transfer case?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Odd but perhaps I'm wrong because swapping the tyres worked. The point was though without this forum I'd have been stumped

·
Registered
573 Posts
As I said, the TOD transfer case works on the difference in speed of the front and rear propshafts..all 4 tyres new,the rear tyres lose grip and 4wd drive is activated...wear on the front tyres, the rear tyres have to slip more before 4wd activated...wear on the rear tyres (most common) and the 4wd activates all the time = bad...the Borg Warner system is very good but it fails to take into account tyre wear..simple.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts