Kia Owners Club Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you are in neutral and you make selections on the new switch you will hear the engagements when in position 11 on the switch you will be using the original mag clutch when in position 1 you will be using the resistor hope this explains it.

No it's not nessecary to have the light I cant see why you have an abs light problem are you using the same type of switch as I used? You have to have the switch on position 1 for two wheel drive if your switch is in the middle position 0 then the abs light does come on also when you are selecting positions make sure you are in neutral on the gearbox you cant change on the move or at least mine doesn't.
As a test disconnect your switch and join the yellow wire from the harness and join this straight to the resistor this will give you two wheel high and nothing else if the abs light stays off then there must be a problem with the switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, new here.
I have decided to buy a sorento pre-2006.

Reading this helpful and informative forum I've come across this post and the lock switch "superlocker".

I visited dip-tech site and there it says:

"....Attention 01.10.2019:

All Versions are sold out. Goods are in the inflow.

Pre-orders are still accepted and processed in the order after receipt of goods....."

I have sent an email to them about a week ago but still no reply.
Does anyone perhaps know if they are still producing this stuff?
Did anyone here installed it successfully? Was it complicated? Does it come with instructions?
Also, will this mod work with 2.5l crdi machine with manual transmission? Just asking since their website specifies that it is only for Sorento JC and JC FL (BJ 2002-2009) with automatic 4-wheel drive?

Thank you very much for any informations.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
with the pre facelift model all you need do is remove the tccs fuse. this can be linked in to a switch if required

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys, new here.
I have decided to buy a sorento pre-2006.

Reading this helpful and informative forum I've come across this post and the lock switch "superlocker".

I visited dip-tech site and there it says:

"....Attention 01.10.2019:

All Versions are sold out. Goods are in the inflow.

Pre-orders are still accepted and processed in the order after receipt of goods....."

I have sent an email to them about a week ago but still no reply.
Does anyone perhaps know if they are still producing this stuff?
Did anyone here installed it successfully? Was it complicated? Does it come with instructions?
Also, will this mod work with 2.5l crdi machine with manual transmission? Just asking since their website specifies that it is only for Sorento JC and JC FL (BJ 2002-2009) with automatic 4-wheel drive?

Thank you very much for any informations.

Yes they still ship them. I ordered and got mine around 2019.09 It comes with a guide. The instalation was tricky but only because my connector under the passenger side was flipped upside down, also connectors at driver were in different order than the guide showed, probably previos owner messed around, or there was some kind of electrical problem fixed at some point in any case the guide was coloured so I tracked down wires and connetors pin by pin, and succusfully installed the thing, I did not use any solder just turned the wires together and it works fine for 9 months. I had in mind to solder/crimp the cables but I really dont want to remove the underside of the dash again. The install took me half an hour I guess. P.S. Mine is manual diesel 2007.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Yes they still ship them. I ordered and got mine around 2019.09 It comes with a guide. The instalation was tricky but only because my connector under the passenger side was flipped upside down, also connectors at driver were in different order than the guide showed, probably previos owner messed around, or there was some kind of electrical problem fixed at some point in any case the guide was coloured so I tracked down wires and connetors pin by pin, and succusfully installed the thing, I did not use any solder just turned the wires together and it works fine for 9 months. I had in mind to solder/crimp the cables but I really dont want to remove the underside of the dash again. The install took me half an hour I guess. P.S. Mine is manual diesel 2007.
It will fail. Crimps are probably easier than soldering.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It will fail. Crimps are probably easier than soldering.

They most likely would fail as fast with crimps from corrosion, I was just too lazy to draw 200m cable extension for my garage to solder it, I might solder it when I have a mood for it but so far it works perfectly fine I keep it at 2x4 most of the time.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
They most likely would fail as fast with crimps from corrosion, I was just too lazy to draw 200m cable extension for my garage to solder it, I might solder it when I have a mood for it but so far it works perfectly fine I keep it at 2x4 most of the time.
Then please explain why all cable and harness connections are crimped and none are soldered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!
I`m still waiting for someone at diptech to respond. If not I will just add a switch as foster said. If I understood right, with this switch you practically have everything that a superlocker has....?

Ex.
position 1 on the switch: (locked 2wd) you can then engage the "low" with the original knob and you have low 2wd..?
position 2 on the switch: would be "auto" as factory intended
position 3 on the switch: would be locked 4WD... if left at "auto" on original knob you would eventually have high 4wd and switching to "low" on original knob would get you low 4WD?
Am i right? Or am I missing something?

One more thing. Yesterday I got a chance to drive a 2007 Nissan X-trail and i must admit I was very positively surprised!
Now I cant decide... Cargo space is important factor to me, bigger better. I think Sorento is bigger by specifications, though in real life it seemed quite the opposite to me.
Which one is more suitable for offroad riding? Which one is more rugged? Any inputs would be gladly appreciated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!
I`m still waiting for someone at diptech to respond. If not I will just add a switch as foster said. If I understood right, with this switch you practically have everything that a superlocker has....?

Ex.
position 1 on the switch: (locked 2wd) you can then engage the "low" with the original knob and you have low 2wd..?
position 2 on the switch: would be "auto" as factory intended
position 3 on the switch: would be locked 4WD... if left at "auto" on original knob you would eventually have high 4wd and switching to "low" on original knob would get you low 4WD?
Am i right? Or am I missing something?

One more thing. Yesterday I got a chance to drive a 2007 Nissan X-trail and i must admit I was very positively surprised!
Now I cant decide... Cargo space is important factor to me, bigger better. I think Sorento is bigger by specifications, though in real life it seemed quite the opposite to me.
Which one is more suitable for offroad riding? Which one is more rugged? Any inputs would be gladly appreciated.
Hi
you get 2wd high and 2wd low the other position is 4wd auto the same as the original rotary kia switch when in 2wd high/low you are using the resistor when in 4wd auto you are using original mag clutch.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
with the more complex circuit you get access to 4x4 fully locked in high range as well as the other functions, if you want more adventurous off road.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Then please explain why all cable and harness connections are crimped and none are soldered.

Because it's faster, cheaper and in most cases more reliable. In any cases I was comparing my install which is bare wires twisted and crimped on top one another and heatshrinked VS a normal crimp, which would fail in same amount of time in my application since there is no way it would disconnect somehow, so just a corrossion left which would affect both twisted or crimped wires. I actually did not own crimping tool at the time, now I do have one which I use for my 3d printer connectors. But again I really not look forward to removing half dash.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts