Kia Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Martin
Did you find out where the clutch pack is?
I did thanks. Beyond me, but as I have just bought the car from a reputable dealer with a warranty, he is replacing the transfer box with a reconditioned one. Just hope that works.
Just have to wait out corona as everything is shutdown. Driving very little with the fuse out. Hope this can't cause damage.
Take care

·
Registered
7 Posts
instructions here for changing the clutch pack VehiclesSorento.pdf
Thanks Birdman, my problem is I am trying to locate this yellow A3 wire on f0sters diagram (above) and so far can't seem to get any continuity from the yellow wires on the module to the clutch pack to cut it and fit the switch. It's driving me mad been on it all afternoon! I'm normally okay with these things but this is beating me. I took out the fuse box in the d/s kick panel to check for continuity there, figured I could cut it here but it's not so simple as 2 wires from the module go to this so wouldn't know which one to cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I set fire to the car!!!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You may have to just go through a process of elimination as wires often change colour enroute. The controller should have power supply, connections to front and rear output shaft sensors of which these inputs actuate the clutch and also the clutch coil supply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's what I was thinking that the wires may change colour as I know these types of vehicles often do. Audis are a nightmare for that. Thanks for your advice, I will recheck tomorrow. You seem a very knowledgeable person on these Kia's. Take care and thanks again for responding.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
the tod controller circuit diagram for this vehicle has three yellow wires going to it. (tod face lift model) if you follow all three wires back on the circuit diagram two of them are fed from a fuse, the one you want feeds the clutch pack, to find the correct wire remove the multi plugs, with the ignition on test all three wires, two should be live and one should be dead, the dead one is the one. if you have a manual transmission there is a fourth wire that feeds the clutch interlock switch.
on the pre facel lift model it is not as obvious, there are four yellow wires, two are live, one goes to the engine control unit, the other is the one on this version,

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
the tod controller circuit diagram for this vehicle has three yellow wires going to it. (tod face lift model) if you follow all three wires back on the circuit diagram two of them are fed from a fuse, the one you want feeds the clutch pack, to find the correct wire remove the multi plugs, with the ignition on test all three wires, two should be live and one should be dead, the dead one is the one. if you have a manual transmission there is a fourth wire that feeds the clutch interlock switch.
on the pre facel lift model it is not as obvious, there are four yellow wires, two are live, one goes to the engine control unit, the other is the one on this version,
Thanks so much that explains it for me. Much appreciated for your response.
Best wishes

·
Registered
255 Posts
There is no rocket science to it.All that is needed is a switch, a relay and a resistor the same value as the clutch pack coil.When the switch is used it will cut off the voltage supply to the clutch coil and the relay will bring in the resistor, thus fooling the control unit that the clutch coil is still operating

Should of added relay needs NO&NC contacts.
Edited by: BIRDMAN
You dont need a relay just a switch and a 80ohm 10 watt resistor the switch allows 4x4 auto (kia original posirion) or two wheel drive high two wheel drive low this is on the facelift model 2006 to 2009.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi f0ster, your diagram worked great and I have the system working fine now with the switch. I unfortunately have developed a consequence as a result. I now have the ABS light on constantly. I went for a drive and it was fine for about a mile and a half then came on and wont go out. I know it's a long shot but any ideas of where to look?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi f0ster, your diagram worked great and I have the system working fine now with the switch. I unfortunately have developed a consequence as a result. I now have the ABS light on constantly. I went for a drive and it was fine for about a mile and a half then came on and wont go out. I know it's a long shot but any ideas of where to look?
Hi
I have just done my sorento and this mod works perfectly have you wired up your 4x4 light correctly on the switch this happened to me the abs light stayed on I checked the wiring and turned the igniton off and back on and all is ok.
you probaly know this but when you select 4x4 auto or 2wd high or low you must be in neutral when doing any selecting if you have a auto gearbox. I used a 82ohm 10 watt resistor and that is barely warm during use if you read this f0ster thankyou for all your help and patience I am very happy !!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi
I have just done my sorento and this mod works perfectly have you wired up your 4x4 light correctly on the switch this happened to me the abs light stayed on I checked the wiring and turned the igniton off and back on and all is ok.
you probaly know this but when you select 4x4 auto or 2wd high or low you must be in neutral when doing any selecting if you have a auto gearbox. I used a 82ohm 10 watt resistor and that is barely warm during use if you read this f0ster thankyou for all your help and patience I am very happy !!
The wiring for mine was the single yellow wire on the left hand connector block in the controller and for the light was the second wire in front row green and black in the right hand block connecter viewed from the passenger side.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Would you be so kind as to tell me exactly what to buy please

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
you need a switch off ebay, there are a few to choose from that will do but the one you want is a DPDT on/on (double pole double throw, it has two positions, it is on in both positions it has no dead spot)
it has two separate circuits in it, the middle terminal is either connected to one terminal or the other either side of the middle terminal, use a multi meter to test the path through the switch.
something like this 282558951963, you will also need a 10 watt resistor of about 82 ohm, a 56 ohm is nearer the correct size but it can run a bit warm. this is how a fitted my switch, I used the complex circuit diagram because it gives you 4x4 fully locked in high range as well as the other functions. this is a resistor to use 264603278476, that's the easy bit, the hard part is finding the correct wires, hoverspeed has just done his.
(The wiring for mine was the single yellow wire on the left hand connector block in the controller and for the light was the second wire in front row green and black in the right hand block connecter viewed from the passenger side.)

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks Birdman, my problem is I am trying to locate this yellow A3 wire on f0sters diagram (above) and so far can't seem to get any continuity from the yellow wires on the module to the clutch pack to cut it and fit the switch. It's driving me mad been on it all afternoon! I'm normally okay with these things but this is beating me. I took out the fuse box in the d/s kick panel to check for continuity there, figured I could cut it here but it's not so simple as 2 wires from the module go to this so wouldn't know which one to cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I set fire to the car!!!
The yellow wire you are looking for is located on the controller left side of transmission tunnel pull the front passenger carpet back and you will see it if your car is the facelift model 2006 onward there are three yellow wires on the first connection plug the two together are live the one on it's own is not it's this one you need .
You cut this wire one half goes to terminal A on the switch the other half goes to terminal Bon the switch as per diagram a 80ohm 10 watt resistor goes on terminal C on the switch the four x four light on the dash is fed from the green and black wire second wire in on the second right hand side controller connection block this wire is cut the harness side goes to terminal B on the switch (the controller part of the wire is not connected )terminal C on the switch goes to earth this should give you 4x4 auto normal kia mode and 2wd high when connected to the resistor via switch you can also get 2wd low aswell hope this helps you.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The yellow wire you are looking for is located on the controller left side of transmission tunnel pull the front passenger carpet back and you will see it if your car is the facelift model 2006 onward there are three yellow wires on the first connection plug the two together are live the one on it's own is not it's this one you need .
You cut this wire one half goes to terminal A on the switch the other half goes to terminal Bon the switch as per diagram a 80ohm 10 watt resistor goes on terminal C on the switch the four x four light on the dash is fed from the green and black wire second wire in on the second right hand side controller connection block this wire is cut the harness side goes to terminal B on the switch (the controller part of the wire is not connected )terminal C on the switch goes to earth this should give you 4x4 auto normal kia mode and 2wd high when connected to the resistor via switch you can also get 2wd low aswell hope this helps you.
You cut this wire one half goes to terminal A on the switch the other half goes to terminal Bon the switch as per diagram a 80ohm 10 watt resistor goes on terminal C on the switch the four x four light on the dash is fed from the green and black wire second wire in on the second right hand side controller connection block this wire is cut the harness side goes to terminal B on the switch (the controller part of the wire is not connected )terminal C on the switch goes to earth this should give you 4x4 auto normal kia mode and 2wd high when connected to the resistor via switch you can also get 2wd low aswell hope this helps you. 264603278476 is the resistor 281829466790 is the switch you will need I temporally used terminal blocks but later soldered the connections although the blocks worked fine.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts