Kia Owners Club Forum banner

To Goo Or Not To Goo…..

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ArthurCollins2 
#1 ·
My day started wonderfully today, went out to car to set off for the frozen north, flat tyre. Called breakdown service (not KIA RAS). Very cheerful Welshman turned up with a pickup truck. I explained that I had no spare just a tin of goo and he said “No problem, get it on the back of the truck, I’ll take you to the tyre shop, we don’t be wanting the goo do we?”

Off we set, very nice tyre man said “we can repair that”. 20 minutes later car back on road, and back home in under 2 hours since discovering flat.

Nice tyre man said he wasn’t really bothered if I’d used the goo, they just have to wash it out before they can find the puncture.

And no TPMS issues.

Apart from the puncture, really happy with today’s service.

#4 ·
Nice tyre man said he wasn’t really bothered if I’d used the goo, they just have to wash it out before they can find the puncture. Apart from the puncture, really happy with today’s service.
Result! I suspect many other tyre depots, however, may not take such a benevolent view, especially with big-name brand tyres typically retailing at a hundred and plenty each!

#5 ·
Result! I suspect many other tyre depots, however, may not take such a benevolent view, especially with big-name brand tyres typically retailing at a hundred and plenty each!
£99 all in for a budget tyre (which I wouldn’t have anyway). Repaired and back on the road for £18. Local family business who appreciate loyalty and word of mouth.

#7 ·
Kwik Fit say they won't repair a tyre that has been repaired using a sealant kit. My local indy won't either.

From the Kwik Fit website

'Can Tyres Be Repaired after a Tyre Sealant is Applied?
By its very nature, the sealant gel is sticky and difficult to remove from the tyre in its entirety. For this reason, we do not carry out permanent puncture repairs on tyres where a sealant gel has been applied as a clean, uncontaminated surface is required in order to carry out an effective and durable puncture repair.'

#9 ·
Surely in this third decade of the 21st century, it cannot be beyond the wit of man to create a cleaning substance, readily available to the likes of Kwik-Fit and other major tyre companies, specifically to eradicate every last vestige of the gunge that car manufacturers have fobbed customers off with in recent times?

If one small, family tyre business can manage to perform a repair to a gunged tyre, then the rest are simply taking the piss by refusing to deal with that problem.

#10 ·
Surely in this third decade of the 21st century, it cannot be beyond the wit of man to create a cleaning substance, readily available to the likes of Kwik-Fit and other major tyre companies, specifically to eradicate every last vestige of the gunge that car manufacturers have fobbed customers off with in recent times?

If one small, family tyre business can manage to perform a repair to a gunged tyre, then the rest are simply taking the piss by refusing to deal with that problem.
My Indie says it's the time, chemicals and cost involved in cleaning out the tyre carcass (which is passed on to the customer). Believe it or not there has to be training given, correct PPE provided, and procedures written up and followed. Unless it's a relatively new tyre most owners simply go for a new replacement tyre as it usually works out cheaper, so it's not a service worth offering. Not forgetting the cost of buying a replacement tyre sealant kit which can be very expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.