Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I received my car a few days ago. When I was driving, I checked the tire pressure screen and it said that most tires were around 42psi. When I have checked the recommended psi for cold tires it suggests 35psi for 19 inch tires. Any idea if this is still ok?

·
Registered
188 Posts
You need to check the pressures on the screen shortly after setting off so that you get the pressures for the tyres at ambient temperature before the pressures increase as the tyres heat up with travelling. The sensors only work once the car is rolling and then only after few hundred metres. In my Sportage, with 17 inch wheels, the pressures start at 36psi as set and can rise to 41 psi or so after several miles on a warm day.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you have a favourite gauge, then you can check using that at the crack of dawn before the sun rises or late, late in the evening so the neighbours wonder what your doing messing about with your car in the dark instead of being in bed.
The values you see will be a good reference of cold pressures.

I guess TPMS is flawed without a temperature sensor and temperature compensated values, but still better than nothing for folks who don't check their tyres regularly.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Not at all flawed. It is there to alert the driver to a dangerous underinflation of one or more tyres - bad news at highway speed - been there and got the brown trousers to prove it! The KIA system checks tyre pressures four times per wheel revolution. I must be getting old but I find it very difficult to come anywhere close to checking all four tyres that frequently.

These days the only time I put a pressure gauge in my tyres is when I am adjusting the pressure. Otherwise I use the pressure read-out from the TPMS to check - much easier than grovelling around getting grimy and losing dust caps to check pressures. (OK I do check the spare periodically but only when I am anyway adjusting tyre pressures)

It is an unfortunate fact that tyre pressures will vary with temperature and I would not be comfortable with a system which "adjusted" the display since this is another thing to go wrong or mislead or misunderstand. It might be more helpful if manufacturers gave both cold and normal running temp pressures, because not many folk can measure/adjust tyre pressures on their driveway and have to drive somewhere in order to check them, warming the tyres as they travel..

Hereabouts, come Autumn, as the ambient temperature falls we get folk on here complaining that their TPMS is warning of low pressures......... <sigh>

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice. I will try and check shortly after the car is driven and prob best on a day that isn’t really hot.

·
Registered
262 Posts
TPMS may not be flawed, it's great as an early warning system, also good for many users who may not check pressures regularly or even know what pressure to put in even if they did stop at a gas station to check.
But as a means of "calibrating" the tyre pressure to the correct start pressure it is less practical than a gauge, but only because the vehicle needs to be moved to get the readings.
Tyre pressures should be equal on both sides of the vehicle, which is not the case with sun shining on one side only. Tyres should be cold when measured, which is about midnight - 5 am where I live. So instead of moving the car at 11pm, a gauge can be an option.
After that "calibration", if one notices the next morning during start off or driving that the tyres have unequal or higher pressures, then it is simply to take note as these values will be the normal operational pressures for that particular situation.
The difference will depend on sunlight, air temp, speed and so on.
I find it difficult to find shade to park under, so I if I see a low in the air temperature forcast one night, I may pump the tyres slightly overpressure that afternoon at the closest gas station, then just let out air to the correct pressures at night. So next day when the pressures are all different, all is well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
TPMS is not intended as a replacement to checking your tyre pressures and condition on a regular basis. You should still check and adjust them using a gauge/pump and whilst at it look for damage or foreign bodies.

On some cars which use the ABS sensors you could have all the tyres at 50% pressure and not get an alert since the rotational speed would still be the same.

We have owned 6 cars with TPMS of which 5 have been ABS. Even the one with valve based sensors did not display the pressure.

And after adjusting/correcting pressures remember to re-set the system if its required. I had a loan car once on run flats which after a 15 mile commute had one tyre which was smoking and extremely hot to touch. Gauge said no pressure at all but with the run flats on stiff sidewalls all looked OK and the car drove normally. Obviously someone at the garage at re-set it with a flat tyre. I pumped it up and re-set the system but by the next morning it was down 8 PSI and the warning came up just like it should, a quick detour to Morrisons and go to work, took car back at lunch.

TPMS is a great system that should prevent blow outs but it still needs regular checking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not at all flawed. It is there to alert the driver to a dangerous underinflation of one or more tyres - bad news at highway speed - been there and got the brown trousers to prove it! The KIA system checks tyre pressures four times per wheel revolution. I must be getting old but I find it very difficult to come anywhere close to checking all four tyres that frequently.

These days the only time I put a pressure gauge in my tyres is when I am adjusting the pressure. Otherwise I use the pressure read-out from the TPMS to check - much easier than grovelling around getting grimy and losing dust caps to check pressures. (OK I do check the spare periodically but only when I am anyway adjusting tyre pressures)

It is an unfortunate fact that tyre pressures will vary with temperature and I would not be comfortable with a system which "adjusted" the display since this is another thing to go wrong or mislead or misunderstand. It might be more helpful if manufacturers gave both cold and normal running temp pressures, because not many folk can measure/adjust tyre pressures on their driveway and have to drive somewhere in order to check them, warming the tyres as they travel..

Hereabouts, come Autumn, as the ambient temperature falls we get folk on here complaining that their TPMS is warning of low pressures......... <sigh>
Same here - when younger and far more stupid I was 'fracturing' the speed limit in my 216 Tomcat and the rear offside exploded - I do not want to repeat that experience.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Same here - when younger and far more stupid I was 'fracturing' the speed limit in my 216 Tomcat and the rear offside exploded - I do not want to repeat that experience.
I had a 214si, 216sli and eventually got a 220Gti.
The 220 was one of the best handling cars I've ever had.
Anyway, the fact you've had to go so far back in time shows the advances modern tyres have made, they really do put up with remarkable mis-use and abuse these days without blowing.
The amount of cars you see with blatantly under-inflated tyres is alarming - and if they're noticeably soft you can bet they're running VERY low Psi....:(
It really wouldn't surprise me if tens of thousands of people are runnnig around in cars with single figure tyre pressures.
They really won't care until they hear wheels scraping on tarmac.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a 214si, 216sli and eventually got a 220Gti.
The 220 was one of the best handling cars I've ever had.
Anyway, the fact you've had to go so far back in time shows the advances modern tyres have made, they really do put up with remarkable mis-use and abuse these days without blowing.
The amount of cars you see with blatantly under-inflated tyres is alarming - and if they're noticeably soft you can bet they're running VERY low Psi....:(
It really wouldn't surprise me if tens of thousands of people are runnnig around in cars with single figure tyre pressures.
They really won't care until they hear wheels scraping on tarmac.
The Tomcat was a bit of a tarts car, I only got it was £100, I added the 220 bonnet (the one with the hump). Had full leather AND Aircon!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi,

I received my car a few days ago. When I was driving, I checked the tire pressure screen and it said that most tires were around 42psi. When I have checked the recommended psi for cold tires it suggests 35psi for 19 inch tires. Any idea if this is still ok?
Every new Sportage I’ve had came with higher than normal tyre pressures.
From new, tyres are always inflated by a couple of psi as they will settle down, I don’t think KIA understand a couple.

·
Registered
292 Posts
"It really wouldn't surprise me if tens of thousands of people are runing around in cars with single figure tyre pressures.
They really won't care until they hear wheels scraping on tarmac."

"It's fine mate it was only MOTd 6 months ago" 🤬

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 16 Sportage is the first car I've had in over 50 years of driving that's had a tyre pressure monitor and I have to say it takes a bit of time to feel confident you're getting a correct reading.

I'm a typical male when it comes to new gadgets; if it doesn't appear to be working properly reading the instructions comes pretty low down on the list of remedial actions. I even phoned the local dealer when I couldn't get the monitor to work when it was sitting in my driveway. 🥴

Four years on I still check pressures with a hand-held tyre gauge as I don't trust the accuracy of the integral gauge on my foot pump. Set to the recommend 36psi all round on the 17" Hankooks gives a running temperature of around 40 - 41 psi which can be disconserting to the new owner.

Best advice I could give is to get yourself a good quality hand-held gauge to check when you pump up the tyres...then relax a difference of 4-5-6psi is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After the slightly cooler weather, when setting off , the tyre pressures do indeed sit around 36psi and rise once warm so appears they are set correctly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts