Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this fantastic forum and wonder if I might ask for some advice please? I am on a fairly tight budget of around £4,000 and looking for a Sportage (probably a 2007/8/9). I am trying to learn what I can, but wanted to ask if I have the choice, whether it's better to choose diesel or petrol from a reliability perspective? I have always been averse to diesels due to DMF's and other associated problems with diesel engines.
However, I'm open to being persuaded. ;)

Also any Sportage specific faults that I should watch out for that may differ from the usual things you would look for?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
90 Posts
On an 11 year old car, it depends on the previous owners. Get the best car you can afford.
Why do you want a Sportage particularly? Mileage? Type? Towing ability?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Tony

Depending on where you live (amount of winter road salt) - the subframes can get badly corroded and seem to be manufactured from fairly thin metal.
We have a 2008 Sportage XS 2.0 crdi (diesel) Automatic which does circa 37mpg although it does touch 40mpg on a longish run in warm weather.
It is a great motorway cruiser c/w cruise control,the suspension is fairly old fashioned which makes it a little lively on bumpy/uneven back roads,but overall we love the old bus :)
I am not aware of the DPF being over sensitive on these older Sporty's,but it would be sensible not to do too many consecutive/continuous short journeys.
The EGR valve can (as with all diesels) get badly clogged but is very DIY - able if you are fairly experienced at car maintenance.
The diesel is very easy for regular servicing - being high enough to drain oil without using ramps or jacks,the oil filter is right on top of the back of the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
On an 11 year old car, it depends on the previous owners. Get the best car you can afford.
Why do you want a Sportage particularly? Mileage? Type? Towing ability?
I live in deepest darkest Devon (well not quite the deepest or darkest actually) and find an SUV to be the best way to get around in winter. Don't tow, just running around and taking dogs to the Moors.

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tony

Depending on where you live (amount of winter road salt) - the subframes can get badly corroded and seem to be manufactured from fairly thin metal.
We have a 2008 Sportage XS 2.0 crdi (diesel) Automatic which does circa 37mpg although it does touch 40mpg on a longish run in warm weather.
It is a great motorway cruiser c/w cruise control,the suspension is fairly old fashioned which makes it a little lively on bumpy/uneven back roads,but overall we love the old bus :)
I am not aware of the DPF being over sensitive on these older Sporty's,but it would be sensible not to do too many consecutive/continuous short journeys.
The EGR valve can (as with all diesels) get badly clogged but is very DIY - able if you are fairly experienced at car maintenance.
The diesel is very easy for regular servicing - being high enough to drain oil without using ramps or jacks,the oil filter is right on top of the back of the engine.
That's really helpful, thanks!

Rust is the age old enemy I suppose and will keep a keen eye when looking. Good to hear that they are good cruisers on the motorway too!

Tony

·
Registered
935 Posts
Have to say that £4000 for a 13 year old car that will without doubt have many issues (that is why they get sold on) seems a lot of money.

If you are really on a tight budget the last thing you want is a money pit parked on the drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Have to say that £4000 for a 13 year old car that will without doubt have many issues (that is why they get sold on) seems a lot of money.

If you are really on a tight budget the last thing you want is a money pit parked on the drive.
I know what you mean, but needs must.

However, I currently have a 2004 Rav4 XT3 with 140,000 miles on it that causes me far fewer problems than friends with more expensive gadget laden and super complex vehicles. The same went for my HRV previous to that. I owned it for 3 years covered, 40,000 miles and literally nothing went wrong with it. Only sold it on as it was close to turning 180,000 miles and thought it time to change.

You are right though, it does feel like a lot of money for a car with 90-100,000 miles already on it.

The main reason to part ways with the Rav is that I now need 5 doors and a slightly bigger boot, with some ability to handle poor road/weather conditions. Would also like to try the Sportage. ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts

Mine is a 2010 Titan and I only paid £4,500 18 months ago so £4,000 for a 2007-2009 is very expensive!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I forgot to mention that our Sportage is the 2 WD variety - we have an old Vitara for any serious conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to mention that our Sportage is the 2 WD variety - we have an old Vitara for any serious conditions.
Ah, that explains the decent MPG. I'm sure the 4x4 version will not be quite as good on that side, although that's fine with me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts