Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,402 Posts
On our GT-Line all the tints are original. They are on the rear passenger windows and the rear window, and they are so dark you can't see inside the rear of the car. The front doors and the windscreen have a slight tint, but nowhere near as dark as the rear.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
"The rules for tinted front windscreens and front side windows depend on when the vehicle was first used. There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows.
Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later
The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.
Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985
The front windscreen and front side windows must both let at least 70% of light through."

My Sporty has light tints to teh front side windows and slightly darker tints to the rears.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Thanks for the replies the reason i am asking is because on my front inside drives side window the tinting film has started to come away. I am not sure if this is a manufacturers fault or has the tinting film been fitted after the car was purchased by the previous owner.

·
Super Moderator
3,402 Posts
Hi Thanks for the replies the reason i am asking is because on my front inside drives side window the tinting film has started to come away. I am not sure if this is a manufacturers fault or has the tinting film been fitted after the car was purchased by the previous owner.
That does not sound like manufacturers equipment, more like an after market fit.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
Proper tinted windows do not use tinting film so that has been applied by a previous owner. If this has ben applied over the factory tints then it is likely to be darker than the legal limit.

Suggest that you peel it off.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Factory tints are part of the glass.

Aftermarket tints are normally a film that is applied. The success is down to the quality of the film and the person who applies it.

But some dealers will have aftermarket film applied if its cheaper than a factory OEM tint and saves them money.

All Factory OEM tints comply with the law, many companies who apply film will do whatever the customer wishes providing they sign a disclaimer accepting they are illegal to use on the road and accept all responsibility for any fines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.