Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need Help and Advice please.
Dealership are saying that the above fault is not covered on my warranty as i never got the vehicle serviced in 2021.
1 The dealership m.o.t the vehicle in 2021 but said they couldnt service it due to covid and only servicing emergency service workers.
2 They have had the vehicle twice with the fault code showing a fault with the timing belt but cleared the code and sent me on my way.
3 The vehicle as 49 000 on the clock with a full dealership service book except 2021 surely a timing chain should not slip with that low milage
4.I Am now being told its 拢750 + v.a.t to be paid in full by me.
Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated as im worrying big time what to do next as the dealership have washed their hands of it.
Cheers Daz馃憤馃徎

Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
Dealership are saying that the above fault is not covered on my warranty as i never got the vehicle serviced in 2021.
1 The dealership m.o.t the vehicle in 2021 but said they couldnt service it due to covid and only servicing emergency service workers.
2 They have had the vehicle twice with the fault code showing a fault with the timing belt but cleared the code and sent me on my way.
3 The vehicle as 49 000 on the clock with a full dealership service book except 2021 surely a timing chain should not slip with that low milage
Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated as im worrying big time what to do next as the dealership have washed their hands of it.
Cheers Daz馃憤馃徎
What engine is it. Apart from the fault code is there a running problem. Can you hear any rattling noise especially on start up and idle. Not sure where you stand with a missed service due to covid.

Registered
You could take it up with Kia customer service, but would you have any proof of the refusal to service due to covid? It's still worth pursuing as a first stop.

Registered
I got a 1.1 CRDI 2013 and 120.000 miles no issue,a bit noisy when cold start,but goes away in 1 min.At such a low mileage that would happen because of a service,my opinion,hope you have a good outcome 馃憤馃徎 and not money out of your pocket.

Registered
The noise on cold start could be the hydraulic timing chain tensioner. I would get it seen to. The noise would be less after a fresh oil change.

Premium Member
68 Picanto GT-Line S, 69 Ceed ISG 2, 1.0TGDi
Cheers Daz馃憤馃徎
Sorry to hear your dramas Daz,

Maybe try speaking to your local Trading Standards Officer for some advice.

Good luck with this,

Jason

Registered
If its slipped a tooth, then the timing will be out and also WHY has it slipped a tooth - has one of the tensioners failed or is a little lazy getting up to pressure.. Has the chain stretched? Rattle for less than a second upon start up isnt anything to worry about, but it shouldnt be doing it at all on a car with such low mileage. If the chain hasnt stretched and its caught early enough new tensioners should sort it. But i'd be pushing for it to fixed given the mileage on the car.

Also, never EVER go with the long service intervals on engines in general never mind engines which are chain driven.

Super Moderator
What I find odd is a dealer saying they were only doing servicing for emergency service workers in 2021. Yes in the 1st 2020 lockdown dealers did tend to only offer slots to "Key Workers" which is why manufactures offered a extention or some leeway on servicing. As non Key Workers should not have been out and about.

In 2021 we had both cars serviced + MOT one in February & the other in September. So unless that this was just that dealer doing it because they were short on staff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts