Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a KIA Rio since March 2005 bought it new, had it serviced annually every year.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Garage I take it to always seems to find something to replace on annual service, which may be genuine.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">The Car has only done 24,000 miles but on latest service told timing belt should be replaced, did not say it was faulty just pointed out that service schedule states replace at 60,000 or 6 years.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Should I go to the expense of this as it seems to be one thing after another

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Well if the belt breaks then your looking at valve and head damage and its gonna hurt your wallet.
I would not chance it get your belt done as they can perish with age and thats why they recommend at 6 years to change it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you do decide to change it, get quotes from a couple of other garages for comparison. If you think your normal garage is pushing you into having unnecessary work done on your car, get a second opinion.

Just out of interest, what sort of thing have you had to have done so far?

Do you have the old or the new shape Rio?
Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

New rear shock absorbers, new rear cylinders, some sensor I was told had gone so warning light on all time. I suppose not bad in 6 yeaqrs but car hardley used as can be seen by mileage

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi, I also have an '05 plate Rio which, apart from a rear wheel bearing and in the last few days the rear shock absorber upper rubber bushes giving out, has been excellent value for money.
Previous to this I had a 53 plate 1.2 Corsa on a 4yr lease agreement which was recalled 3 times for warranty work (the worst was the replacement of the entiretiming chain systemwhich took half a day). It alsoneeded the gear linkage replacing twice, and had loads of other niggling little issues like a juddering clutch when cold, something Vauxhall refused to acknowledge and (as it was a lease car) I had tolive with.

I guess thateven ifyou buy a Honda Jazz (apparently the most reliable car in the UK), which will cost lots more than a Kia Rio, you have to expect some running costs and regular maintainance. Even Nissans and Toyotas need timing belts replacing on a regular basis.

Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Phil answer seems to be bite the bullett get the timing belt replaced even though car only done 24,000 from new and hopefully keep it 2/3 more years, not greatest car I've had but then prior to being made redundant had nice luxury cars.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think that it's the 6 year thats triggered the replacement rather than the mileage rcpinsa. I don't think Kia's are much different to any other manufacturer that has a cambelt engine in that respect. I do understand however that the Rio 1.3 and 1.5 engines have little latitude with their belts and I would recommend replacing sooner rather than later. The money has to be spent at some point anyway!
Best of luck with it.

Phil

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Not brilliant, but not too bad a record then. Sometimes it's much worse to use a car just every now and then, especially for short journeys. My Rio has just over 30,000 miles on the clock now and it's less than a year old. It has some annoyingniggles, but nothing serious has gone wrong.

If you're planning to keep the car for another couple of years or more it's worth doing, but shop around for a decent price from a garage you trust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
phil866 said:
I think that it's the 6 year thats triggered the replacement rather than the mileage rcpinsa. I don't think Kia's are much different to any other manufacturer that has a cambelt engine in that respect. I do understand however that the Rio 1.3 and 1.5 engines have little latitude with their belts and I would recommend replacing sooner rather than later. The money has to be spent at some point anyway!
Best of luck with it.

Phil

I note you are from Sleaford Phil. I was driving my 04 Rio through Sleaford yesterday on my way to a family funeral in Boston (I was born and raised in Sleaford before joining the Navy and my Dad is buried in the cemetery there).
I bought my 04 Rio 1.3 LXfrom a main agent in Lee On Solent last month and she only had 13000 miles on the clock (it was used as an occasional second car). She's been on two day trips to Lincolnshire of around 470 miles each round trip and she's behaved perfectly. Even though she's well under the mileage change criteria, the age criteria kicks in and the cambelt was replaced last August on her sixth birthday. I bought my wife a 52 plate 1.3 LX Rio about 18 months ago and she hasn't managed to break it, so when this one came on the market I decided to give it a go. These Rios areno motorway cruisers (unlike my old Rover 400 2 litre turbo diesel) but she is a good town cruiser and the load space is great for my shooting and fishing trips. They appear to be pretty reliable cars compared to some makes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts