Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2003 2.9diesel sedona with 38000 miles on,would it bewise to have a new cam belt fitted ,or is it not ready yet.i have got a timing kit just incase full kit for £132 . also does any one know if the rear bumper is premarked for sensors as i want to fit reverseing sensors

·
Registered
702 Posts
steve107 said:
i have a 2003 2.9diesel sedona with 38000 miles on,would it bewise to have a new cam belt fitted ,or is it not ready yet.i have got a timing kit just incase full kit for £132 . also does any one know if the rear bumper is premarked for sensors as i want to fit reverseing sensors

Cambelt change 60,000 or 6 years I think. The kit for £132 does sound very very cheap for a belt, two idlers and a tensioner, dont know about the rear bumper, but if you take it off you should be able to tell if it is.

·
Registered
887 Posts
steve107 said:
been quoted £90 to fit cambelt at local garage i use a lot
Seriously, get it in writing and snap thier arm of up to the shoulder, and let me have thier number I'll sub all my sedona cambelts out to them!

·
Registered
662 Posts
£90 !! so you will be waiting for it to be done then, couple of hours work sounds easy to me, when he's finished (2 days later) see how many broken cam belt covers are missing add that to the £90 o and dont forget to ask to see the old belt
if its all good let me know i will drive our cars up to swinton

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have used this garage for the past 4year ,i take all my cars there <3>.plus family cars i have never had any problems .with repairs +m o t .why how much is a cambelt change price normaly

·
Registered
702 Posts
steve107 said:
i have used this garage for the past 4year ,i take all my cars there <3>.plus family cars i have never had any problems .with repairs +m o t .why how much is a cambelt change price normaly

I beleive the Kia dealears charge around £500-550 to do the belt. If your garage is charging £30 per hour labour then he's going to loose money on it as it's normally 4 1/2 to 5 hours to do as it's really tight in places to get stuff in or out of the engine bay. I would assume your garage has never done one , but good luck to you for getting it done at that price

·
Registered
887 Posts
steve107 said:
Not accusing your garage of any wrong doing, just £90... if they honour that price please take full advantage!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi mate, that price they quoted you is rediculous! kia suggest the engine has to come out and to make things easy it probably is the best way. for a start if you leave the engine in sit you have to destroy the cam belt cover to get it off. ive done my own one and it was a pig. and i mean a pig!!! bruno 1926 does a cd what shows how to do one without removing the engine but you still have to destroy the cover and you really need a pit or a ramp to get access. contact him for a copy. i tell you its well worth the £5 and you can then show the garage and see if they still fancy the job for ninety quid. you dont want them starting something they cant finish!! best regards and luck, stanman

·
Registered
662 Posts
engine does not have to come out and the covers do not have to be broken. the engine does have to be let downwith the subframe a long way and yes its a pig make sure the covers are not damaged as stones could get in later and distroy the belt have seen that twice now

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi Mate, I need one of these kits for my father in laws 2002 Sedona - the best I can get it for is £251-88 and thats SKF fromEurocarparts, although their part number is different- can you tell me where I canone at your price please

·
Registered
662 Posts
you dont need to replace the idlers or tensioners unless they are makeing a noise they are propper ones not plastic c£&* that you get on french cars so save your money and buy a quality cambelt

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks Paul - I'd rather change the lot while its stripped down - I know they are steel roller bearing idlers etc, but for what it takes I may as well do the lot. SKF is a bearing manafacturer so I assume they will be quality parts and thats a good price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts