Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a new belt for my deisel, looking round the net for kits, they all seem to be for the 3.5 petrol, does anyone have any sources for decent priced kits.Gates dont even list one for the 2.9 (grrrr)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. I purchased a timing belt kit with the tensioners ect... new for £151.49 from BLUE PRINT. They do not sell to punters so see if your mechanic or 'shop' can order one. The part number for my 2001 Sedona 2.9 Diesel Manual 2001 (Y) is ADGo7343. My mechanic ordered through General Traffic..01254 233445. DO NOT BUY OFF DIRECT SUPPLIES,CAR BITZ as I have had difficulty with the wrong belt kit and no refund.
Hope helps...oh Thhe £151.49 INCLUDES VAT.
Steve G Blackpool

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers, I have a couple of mechanic friends who will probably order one for me for a pint, would get them to do it for me as well, seeing as it looks to be a pig o a job, but funds wont stretch that far.

what do you get in the kit? never had an engine this big, last car I did was a citroen ZX, that had the belt, idler and tensioner, and was still only £65 for the kit.

·
Registered
702 Posts
stevegx said:
Hi. I purchased a timing belt kit with the tensioners ect... new for £151.49 from BLUE PRINT. They do not sell to punters so see if your mechanic or 'shop' can order one. The part number for my 2001 Sedona 2.9 Diesel Manual 2001 (Y) is ADGo7343. My mechanic ordered through General Traffic..01254 233445. DO NOT BUY OFF DIRECT SUPPLIES,CAR BITZ as I have had difficulty with the wrong belt kit and no refund.
Hope helps...oh Thhe £151.49 INCLUDES VAT.
Steve G Blackpool
I've had the same problem with the wrong belt being supplied there is a company from North london selling or were selling belts on EBay who were selling the same belt for the Sedona from 99 -2006 told them it was wrong info but still kept selling them . it appears to be the diffence in width and 151 or 152 teeth

·
Registered
390 Posts
timtheenchanteruk said:
cheers, I have a couple of mechanic friends who will probably order one for me for a pint, would get them to do it for me as well, seeing as it looks to be a pig o a job, but funds wont stretch that far.

what do you get in the kit? never had an engine this big, last car I did was a citroen ZX, that had the belt, idler and tensioner, and was still only £65 for the kit.
The belt kit has the belt and 4 o5 other tessioners and idle tessioners. The VAT is £25.00 too.
SteveG

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
seems to be descrepencies on a couple of parts for the deisel, went to get a fuel filter, and the 'puter in the parts shop came up with the wrong one.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Why take chances buying cheap parts from e-bay etc. they are not cheap if they are the wrong part with no refund and worse still nasty counterfeit copies can cause expensive engine damage when they fail or fit incorrectly. I appreciate some people are running their cars on a budget but the difference between a genuine part and an e-bay part is only a few tanks of fuel at todays price and you know its a job done once and right.
Paul

·
Registered
543 Posts
All the parts are made to a standard what ever make they are , there all been approved to be sold on the current Market If they were deemed unsafe they wouldn't be sold to the user , I've always used bits from eBay etc because there very competive on price and there good quality and if you use paypal you can send the item back and get your money back with nonproblem at all . The link listed with the eBay parts above looks good and usually the factory parts are from other companies in the own boxes I've been conned before ie my BMW spark plugs BMW ones are Ngk ones , air filter is fram , fuel filter is Delphi . All pattern part names which can be bought on eBay cheaply I wouldn't be turned of by bits on eBay thinking that there cheap and don't last they usually outlast most parts .

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
All parts are made to a standard but who knows what that standard is. The manufacturers of the part may say they meet OE requirements but we can only take their word for it. E-Bay is full of conterfeit parts, getting your money back is no good if the part fails and you perrish in an accident caused by the failure.
I have used Continental and Gates timing belts on the race car with no problems but I can see the difference between a pattern part and a genuine one, for the extra £20 I would buy genuine everytime.

Tried NGK sparkplus on the race engine once, the plugs caps would not fit correctly, with Motorcraft ones no problem.

Parts are usually cheap and on E-Bay for a very good reason.

Paul

·
Registered
702 Posts
suttonseven said:
All parts are made to a standard but who knows what that standard is. The manufacturers of the part may say they meet OE requirements but we can only take their word for it. E-Bay is full of conterfeit parts, getting your money back is no good if the part fails and you perrish in an accident caused by the failure.
I have used Continental and Gates timing belts on the race car with no problems but I can see the difference between a pattern part and a genuine one, for the extra £20 I would buy genuine everytime.

Tried NGK sparkplus on the race engine once, the plugs caps would not fit correctly, with Motorcraft ones no problem.

Parts are usually cheap and on E-Bay for a very good reason.

Paul
But Kia dont make most of the parts on the car such as filter/belts plugs etc, they have to buy them in from some where. Seem to remember reading a while ago that someone bought an oil filter from Kia and when the box was opened it had another makers name on it. Also used to work for Massey Ferguson parts, they had a section of the warehouse set apart for taking parts out of very large boxes and repacking them in their own boxes and adding large percentages onto them for the privalage , who knows if the "OE part" you bought this month is the same as the "OE part " you bought before

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Totally agree that manufacturers don't make many parts of their cars but the manufacturer sets the standards that the supplier has to meet and regular quality checks are made to ensure that they are met. Or at least they should be, maybe Massey Furguson have(or had)a different approach.
Needed an oil pump several years ago when rebuilding an engine, Ford had them on backorder. Out of necessity bought an "OE" quality one from a national supplier of repute, it was branded Autopumps and Isaved myself about £20. All was fine for about 2 years and then the pressure relief valve stuck, blew the oil out of the engine and at 7500rpm that did not take long and the crank and other parts were wrecked. Rebuild cost me over £2000.

Paul

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Gates belts for me or the makers own. Too expensive to take a chance with some rubber band belts you can get cheap.
Paul keep an eye on your oil pressure gauge next time as it would have showed high pressure. I think your eyes were on the pit babes mate

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Davy
At last, someone else sees the sense in buying a known quality brand.

Problem with oil pressure was the gauge goes up to 100 psi and when cold it had always been right up there (still is with genuine Ford pump) thus difficult to see if anything had changed. When it was hot all appeared OK and as all racers do I worried about low oil pressure, that's why I have a huge warning light on the dash but by the time it lit it was way too late especially at full chat on the strait. Made it interesting for those following but they knew I was having problems before I did.

Paul

·
Registered
543 Posts
yeah if moneys no object :L I agree the originals are the best but overpriced for what they are ...Edited by: Dano

·
Registered
422 Posts
The problem I find is that when I need anything for my Kia its so difficult to get anything you want - nobody stocks anything, its usually a special order, and I'm talking about common stuff like filters, brake pads, etc Last time I serviced it I went to my local Kia dealer intending to fit genuine Kia parts and they looked at me gone out when I asked them for an oil filter for my 2006 Sedona 2.9 cdti TS, they didn't stock any service items and needed a week to order them in. Ended up going to Halfords whose filters are usually well made, by reputable firms, and got everything apart from the pollen filter of the shelf. We could do with someone on the forum ie Viking Paul - who could put Kia service kits together and sell them - I'm sure there would be a lot of members who would use a service like that. I also run a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti and I can get a genuine GM service kit on ebay for £30 - cheaper than I can get it from my local dealer via the Vx Trade Club!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
There are many dealerships now that dont hold alot of stock mainly because it takes up valuable space and its sitting there not earning money. Plus most of the time you can order parts one day and they are there the next. The Kia dealer I used always had service items in stock but if not they were there next morning.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Surely it must be a condition of them getting the Kia dealership that they carry, at least a stock of basic service parts, but as you say there's no money in it for them, which just about sums it up!

·
Registered
702 Posts
suttonseven said:
Totally agree that manufacturers don't make many parts of their cars but the manufacturer sets the standards that the supplier has to meet and regular quality checks are made to ensure that they are met. Or at least they should be, maybe Massey Furguson have(or had)a different approach.
Needed an oil pump several years ago when rebuilding an engine, Ford had them on backorder. Out of necessity bought an "OE" quality one from a national supplier of repute, it was branded Autopumps and Isaved myself about £20. All was fine for about 2 years and then the pressure relief valve stuck, blew the oil out of the engine and at 7500rpm that did not take long and the crank and other parts were wrecked. Rebuild cost me over £2000.

Paul
Its not just the tractor company that does this, most companies buy in bulk and repackage in their own packageing. The problem with OE parts are that normally you can buy the same part made by the same company that provides the "OE" parts to the car manufactuer for 50 to 66% cheaper from my local trade spares retailer than from the main dealer. Car/Bike/Lorry/washing machine etc all bang on large increases to parts they supply as this is where they make the large percentage of their profits

1 - 20 of 20 Posts