steve107 said:
well had timing belt fitted today at a cost of £247

timeing belt £132
fan belt £8
a/c belt £7
anti freeze £10
labour £90
total £247
Great price but I get the feeling he won't be doing another one for £90 labour, it just isn't cost effective assuming he charges £30 per hour labour then he's nealy as much out of pocket as he's charged ,normal time to do one is 5-6 hours hang your head in shame young man

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it took 3hrs 30 min .why should i hang my head in shame. if i took another one i would get it for same price. there are still descent garages out there that do not charge the earth .

·
Registered
702 Posts
steve107 said:
it took 3hrs 30 min .why should i hang my head in shame. if i took another one i would get it for same price. there are still descent garages out there that do not charge the earth .

·
Registered
702 Posts
3:30 is mighty quick for doing the belt on one of these , I've done a few of these and got nowhere near that time even knowing what's required . It can take a while to get the lower casing off as it's a real bugger to get off without busting it on the front side. But if he can do them for £90 labour post his name etc on here I guarentee he will get quite alot of business from Sedona owners around there, might even take any of mine down to Swindo as my son lives 20 mins away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if people can not put sensable comments dont bother what i have said re the timing belt belt is true it you think it was cheap .it proves that some garages drag there feet to make the job last longer so you pay more labour .i dont want to give the garage away or there prices will go up

·
Registered
702 Posts
steve107 said:
if people can not put sensable comments dont bother what i have said re the timing belt belt is true it you think it was cheap .it proves that some garages drag there feet to make the job last longer so you pay more labour .i dont want to give the garage away or there prices will go up
Don't think anyone is disputing what you paid to have the job done, but seeing as you got it done for a bargin price the least you could do is post the name and number of the garage that did it , so helping other members of this forum as others have helped you. As I said my son lives just the other side of the M4 from Swindon, so maybe when I've got a cambelt to change it may be worthwhile me taking it to them having a day with my grandaughter and making some money whilst doing so

As I said I,ve done a number of these belts and cant get anywhere near 3:30 hours to do the job even knowing whats what and how to do it. I dont think its a case of garages dragging their feet , just that it is a bas**d of a job to do with little space to get the water pump pulley and the bottom casing off and on. Now it the engine was 3/4" - 1" nearer the bulhead it would just fall off. I remember the first one I did it took 20 mins just to figure out how the fan belt was routed over the pulleys in a way tha made sense

Edited by: bruno1926

·
Registered
702 Posts
steve107 said:
i think you are getting swinton and swindon mixed up it is a 350 mile round trip.it is a bit far
Sorry mate I did think you meant Swindon. Have been to do work in Swinton(if its the one near Manchester) ,then again if the guy can do it in a day then it would be worth driving the car up there whilst mate drives the van then picking it up later don't mind using 3-4 gallons of diesel to make money
But again it would be useful to post the name and number of the garage for other members
<div style="display: none;" id="YontooInstallID">c27cbe93-6110-4357-8f21-5bed908bd096
<div style="display: none;" id="YontooClientVersion">1.03.01
Edited by: bruno1926

·
Registered
192 Posts
ive been to swinton in glasgow but i didnt meet a 3 armed mechanic thou [mores the pity] sorry i cant help it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
steve107 said:
no the 3 armed mechanic is in swinton .rotherham yorkshire
Even better I grew up near Sheffield still got family there, whats the garages name and number ? would cherlish not to help other members
<div style="display: none;" id="YontooInstallID">c27cbe93-6110-4357-8f21-5bed908bd096

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the garage is called ideal on wath road mexborough. not sure of number as i all ways call in it should be on yell...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mexborough thats a name I've not heard for a while, brings back memories of very very pre Kia days. I might look up the garage when I'm next in the area. thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just been told my cam belt should have been changed after 5 years its now 7 years old garage quoted me £670 anyone know how to get to swinton from cardiff or any garage cheaper down here ???? good answer will help thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts