Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, in the last month on start up my 52 plate rio sounds as if the cam is ticking then ticking stops after about 30 seconds to a minute and drives fine so do you reckon the cam is on the way out or would a service which it must be due cure this, Thanks in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Viking Paul said:
when was the oil changed last? sounds like its low on oil or the oils gone thick
Was thinking along these lines as well since i have not had car long but don't know if it was serviced recently so once the weather up here breaks a bit a service and maybe timing belt fitted i think, thanks for reply mate

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Possibly a hydraulic lifter HLA has got sh*t in it and blocked the oil way. I had this on my old 1.6 Mentor. I took the ticking one out and flushed it out with Lusol and then blew it out with compressed air and it was fine after that.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
How many miles has your Rio done? How does the oil look?

Mine's done just under 80k miles and the oil is clean as a whistle, a nice amber colour.

If you take the oil filler cap off, is there any yogurty crap inside the rocker cover?

·
Registered
35 Posts
go for oil checks first, then what Davy says, my previous Accents did the same tappety noise when cold, and goes when warm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the car has done 60,000miles and engine runs and sounds sweet except for the initial start up which is only onthe first start of the day thereafter its fine and the oil cap has no gunge so gasket seems fine, what i have tried and this works is i have added some fresh oil(just a small amount)before start up and it seems to cure the tick so i'm thinking as someone said maybe the oil is thick and needs replaced, hopefully this is all thats needed, replies are appreciated guys thanks

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Drain the old oil and use a flushing oil and then use a new filter and correct grade of oil. My old mentor HLA ticked on cold start up and wouldn't do it again till next colsd start up but eventually it ticked all the time and had to be taken out and cleaned like I said in earlier post.
Worth a try with the oil change route.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update guys i had the oil/filter changed on saturday and so far all seems well no ticking so thanks for the replies folks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts