1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you lot
Now I know this has maybe been covered before but recently Iv noticed
a ticking sound coming from the top end on my 2010 Venga 1.4
IV done some research and apparently it's oil feed/tappets..my question is has anyone had this before, have guy had it fixed and how much did it cost?? Many thanks

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Its usually worse in winter and colder conditions and a problem not only associated to the Venga but other cars that use the same engine.. if you look at others.. Ceed for one you will see the same kind of problems..it can also be associated to the cam chain as well.. but first lets have the mileage and some service history of the car so we can see how its been maintained over the years..

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
53k serviced every year since iv owned it at a reputable garage
It's 11 years old but still
WOW quick reply you were on standby weren't you.. :oops: .. do you know what oil was used and what filter is fitted.. would always use a filter with a anti drain back fitted in it..some garages do cut corners and unless you know what's been used quality wise.. well I guess you know what that means I'm sure I dont have to spell that one out to anyone.. and that applies to dealers as well..

On my part I always use an oil above the recommended spec A5 and not A3 which is what's in the handbook.. and for filters you can't go wrong with Mann seeing that Mann make them for Kia/Hyundai.. have always trusted Blue print totally for a quality product and been using that filter on my youngest lads ix20 since 2017 and no rattle on cold start on that car..of course if its wear then the damage is done and I would be looking at the oil pump there and possibly a little blockage of the oil galleries to the engine from the pump.. there is obviously a drain back from the top end happening which is why its happening.. these engines are slow on oil delivery when cold..

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Well my guess is they have use an A3/B3 spec which is a semi synthetic.. I know some might use it and its minimum standard but being a picky person I go one step further and use the higher spec A5/B5.. every time.. would be interesting to know what filter is fitted on the car at the moment but for that you would have to get under and dirty to find that out..you say ticking is there all of the time.. even when the engine is HOT ?

Font Gas Circle Entertainment Electric blue

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Yes,I think it's getting worse
Ok then if its there all of the time and getting worse then undoubtedly the timing chain.. time for a fix and new chain and tensioner and it wont be cheap.. I think there will be a few vids on this some where I do recollect seeing one for the Hyundai i30 [ same engine ] and will see if I can get one for you..

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
It's a Gamma engine circa designed around 2005. The 1.4 is designated G4FA and the 1.6 G4FC
It's not a particularly "modern" engine.
It uses multi-point injection.
The injector rail and injectors are on the front side of the engine.
Sorry to disagree Phil, but it's probably injector noise you are hearing but it can sound like cam chain.
It is similar on the Nissan GA engine series (my previous car). They have the injector rail on the back of the engine and that sounds for all the world like cam chain, but it isn't.

As Phil suggests, these engines do often rattle a bit at start up due to slow oil circulation, but even when warm, injector noise will remain as the injectors are, well, injecting to keep the motor running.
Mine doesn't have the faffy plastic "beauty cover" and its fairly obvious its the injector rail and injectors. If you have the cover, it can divert the sound to make it seem like its cam chain / tappets (or more correctly valve shims).
Hard to say without knowing full car history but I've found very few (well zero actually) cases of chain / tensioner failures on Venga's or accelerated wear on tappets.
If you consider what an injector actually is (very simplistically, a solenoid with a nozzle), it also make sense they will make some noise as they get older. Now multiply that noise by 4, remember it continuously fires many times a minute add some wear and tear and you've got "injector ticking".
Interestingly E10 petrol has just hit forecourts so when I fill up again I'm wondering if that will make mine noisier (or quieter)

Regarding oil.
If you check the handbook, you'll see that the oil spec is wide (remember to look at the Europe specs).
Best recommendation is to use fully synthetic of a suitable grade. Essentially it says, use A3/B4 or later (ie: Phil uses A5). The "C" variant more recently replaces this and is said to be better for catalytic converter equipped cars.
And you can get a fully synth A3/B3, but you should at minimum be using A3/B4
Also the garage may have used what ever they have in the "bulk drum", so while within spec, it might not be ideal.
Essentially it's saying use pretty much anything fairly recent as more than likely it will be beyond A3/B4 spec,and this is partly because the Venga is sold in some "rural countries" where premium oils aren't common and they've catered for it by not demanding a high spec oil.

By all means continue investigation and have the chain done / shims done if your garage thinks it is that but I'd say that you'd be getting difficulty starting if the chain was worn to excess as it retards the timing beyond where the cold start advance can cope. If you have no problems starting when hot or cold, no issues accelerating (ie it doesn't lag then surge) and no EML light coming on for cam sensor then I'd still go with injector noise and live with it.

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.