Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Thumping sound for a few miles whilst towing

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  iuygoig 
#1 · (Edited)
During a 12% hill climb, a 'thumping' noise could be heard. We pulled off the road to inspect the car and caravan but no sign of an issue. The noise seemed to be worse when climbing the hill. The more throttle applied, the stronger the sound. After a few miles, as we arrived at the site, the sound had gone. The drive home, with no caravan, was approx 100 miles and no thumping noise or vibration was evident.

We have a dash cam and captured the start of the noise. The road surface appeared good, but it felt like the thumping was the same are when driving over rumble strips.

Dash Cam footage

Any ideas? I thought it could be the AWD so test this on a short drive, no issues. All 4 tyres were fitted at the same time and have even wear.

Regards

#2 ·
Experienced something very similar with ours but it hasn't gone away. Much less pronounced when not towing though. Started my own thread as I didn't want to hijack yours but I suspect I'll be booking ours in soon to be looked at.

#3 ·
Thank you for the pointer. As CV19 restriictions continued, I have not yet arranged the car's service. I have though spoken with my works motor transport department and they feel the noise was from the caravan not the car. I've ordered new hitch pads, I understand worn pads can create noises.

Regards

#4 ·
Could be your problem, but I changed ours late last year and our hitch makes a different set of identifiable noises to this one. It's really tight on the tow ball with the new ones, after I'd taken or hitch lock off in the motorway services I was bouncing up and down on the handle for a while to get it close again, also we we arrived in Cornwall it took a bit of coaxing to get it off the car, guess the initial tight fit plus a bit more expansion from heating / friction didn't help :D

Easy job by the way, I changed both the side pads and the front/rear ones in ours, took all of about 15 minutes to do.

#5 ·
Something else you should take into account is the hitch shock absorber. If it hasn't been greased for a while, or has failed, it can make a banking noise. Push the hitch in towards the caravan, if it goes in without some resistance it's will be okay. It's unlikely but worth checking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.