Kia Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
1. I have no idea, nor does KIA UK itself - I recon some money saving ideas were implemented in KIA HQ in Korea and these are the results. KIA UK was provided with "a software" and that's it.
The are no release notes, nor changes listed out.

2. I disagree. Yes, basic android is the same and each manufacturer puts their own flavour on it, but KIA is one brand with "different handsets" (cars). If you want to go down that route please take a look at Samsung - different smartphones with different hardware, but the software is all the same - you won't have some features if the relevant hardware is not there - this is the only difference. So translating this to cars - Niro would have some features which Ceed won't have, as one is electric the other not, but both cars are the same brand.

This is another example why KIA has failed - they wanted to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Yes, innovation and development is unstoppable, but they have taken wrong approach - purely money saving IMO.

Again, as you have brought in Android to this discussion - older phones of the same manufacturer have some time limitation in software updates, where at some point (2 or 3 years after production date) they switch to providing only security patches, not major software overhaul (different android versions).
Now KIA promises 6 years of free updates, which are provided free, but to have it applied you need to pay (only in the UK tough)
There is no integrity in software at all.
They create mess after mess with this.
I'm sorry but whilst I understand your frustration I have disagree with what you say here.

1. Kia know very well who supplies their navigation software, it may be different on each model as might the map data although I suspect this is provided in a standard form so that they can change map data supplier from time to time.

2. There is no reason why any features in different car models should be the same across various models and this extends to head units. It might be beneficial for the manufacturer to keep common software across their range but personally I would argue that this creates such a big head ache they would be best to avoid it. However, there are good reasons to create a common look and feel across their models as this gives brand synergy as is done with the likes of Samsung but this does not mean that the same systems need to be employed to achieve this.

3. Kia are not offering 6 years of free software updates, what they have advertised (but then said it was an error) is offer 6 annual map updates on two models.

Super Moderator
In terms of the screen presentation I'd hazard a guess that the colours/depth of transparency/fonts are all native to the platform and set by flags - much as windows does so it should not be difficult to vary these between different firmware releases for different units. As the Kia Map layouts/colours do not resemble the Here Android or PC offerings. I don't think Here set the display parameters only what has to be displayed and where. For example Here maps have far better road class colour resolution.

But I can say that the HereWeGo is up to date.

So you can not compare a app to something that is supplied to the car manufactures.

Registered
But I can say that the HereWeGo is up to date. I agree - I have said this in these forums in the past.

So you can not compare a app to something that is supplied to the car manufactures. I was not comparing as such just making the observation that HereWeGo maps are not visually like the Kia offering, so those (not me) who say Here provide the mapping SW, as opposed to the Map dataset may 'have the wrong end of the stick'.
Life would be so much better if Google allowed HereWeGo into their walled Android garden!

(nitpicking - the link was to the HereWeGo Web site not the APP site :) )

Registered
I got my e-Nero 4 updated yesterday ( mainly to fix the nav voice fault ) the map version now shows EUR 14.
My speed displays the opposite to some other members here, if the speed limit is 30 it shows 31 ???? speed limit 40 it shows 41??? weird. The other complaint is the speed camera alert, it now doesn't just warn of speed camera's it warns of ALL camera's so traffic camera's give me the beep treatment. It's really annoying!

Font Gadget Display device Electronic device Multimedia

Registered
The other complaint is the speed camera alert, it now doesn't just warn of speed camera's it warns of ALL camera's so traffic camera's give me the beep treatment. It's really annoying!
On my Stonic SW 2020 version (and before I think) always warned of Fixed Speed Cameras, Average Speed Cameras (in 2020 they also introduces speed monitoring over the average speed camera section) and Safetycam (speed and red light) cameras at light controlled junctions and railway level crossings. What are the additional cameras that are now causing bleeps?

Registered
Are the latest map updates ok on the whole? I鈥檓 due to be getting mine updated on a couple of weeks or so but keep reading posts on here to suggest it鈥檚 not a great update. Things like sound only coming from left speaker using navigation and things to do with searching for addresses and latest thing I saw was map showing more of the sky than road.

what are people鈥檚 thoughts that are on the latest 2021 maps?
I don't know if all KIA models have the same maps, but I have an Optima Sportswagon and I updated to 2021 in May and am very disappointed. Mine does not account for the new A14, when travelling from North to South. This opened 2019.

Registered
Oh well...
I just follow this thread to see if KIA will pull their fingers off their... pockets and react to this mess.
I doubt this personally, but I will be the first one to apologise if I'm wrong.

Chin Watch Dress shirt Gesture Collar

Chin Vision care Smile Goggles Gesture

Registered
Picanto 3 2021
Thanks for this, so you have Euro 13 on 8" screen.

Thanks for this a great help. I'm still not sure how to take this forward but for now, just based on a very few inputs the situations seems to be that:

Euro 13 on 8" head unit
1. Navigation guidance sounds come from left speaker only (passenger's door speaker)
2. Manual day/night option is gone - now it relies on car sensor and switches automatically - why? why taking away something user friendly?
3. Speed limits shown less 1 mph, for example the road speed limit is 30mph it will display 29mph, 40mph - 39mph and so on - looks awful and only confuses the driver, while it supposed to assist. I'm scared to see speed limits when driving in mainland Europe - where speed limits are converted into km/h. This will be totally unusable.
4. 3D map view is some sort of a joke - 1/3 of the screen from the top shows the sky - again, why?

Euro 14 on 8" Head Unit
2 & 4 above but not 1 and 3 not mentioned.

10.25" head units don't ever seem to have had the 'i' feature and no one has mentioned the 3D display or Nav Guidance on NS door.

I could try and put a spreadsheet together but although this thread has 22 posts there are few contributors, if others who are reading this are interested and have Euro 13 or 14 please send a photo of the system screen as seen above together with the differences you are finding, particularly the ones mentioned by others.
I can confirm that on euro14 on 8" i only see issues 1 and 3. 2 and 4 are not an issue here. Also, be aware that i am running the EUR14 July Update. (There was a previous May version too)

Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro
I've no idea where the data is coming from, all I know is that for the last week the system has been bonging away for non existent speed cameras, such that tonight i turned the Speed Camera Alerts off, now the Lane Keep Assist isn't working. Come on KIA sort this shambles out for goodness sake. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Registered
Picanto 3 2021
I've no idea where the data is coming from, all I know is that for the last week the system has been bonging away for non existent speed cameras, such that tonight i turned the Speed Camera Alerts off, now the Lane Keep Assist isn't working. Come on KIA sort this shambles out for goodness sake. :mad::mad::mad::mad:
I also have noticed a bunch of "new speed cameras" that popped up in the last couple days. All in places where there are definitely no cameras. Some are in weird spots such as in the middle of a roundabout.
There is a roundabout close to my house that, according to the maps, now has 3 cameras in different sports in that same roundabout. - Clearly that is NOT right....

Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
I can confirm that on euro14 on 8" i only see issues 1 and 3. 2 and 4 are not an issue here. Also, be aware that i am running the EUR14 July Update. (There was a previous May version too)
Now you have really confused my, I thought you had an issue with 2&4 and not 1&3?

My brain is beginning to hurt 馃槶

Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
I also have noticed a bunch of "new speed cameras" that popped up in the last couple days. All in places where there are definitely no cameras. Some are in weird spots such as in the middle of a roundabout.
There is a roundabout close to my house that, according to the maps, now has 3 cameras in different sports in that same roundabout. - Clearly that is NOT right....
Could you please say so on the KCS thread on this so they can see its not just one or two people with the issue

Registered
Picanto 3 2021
Now you have really confused my, I thought you had an issue with 2&4 and not 1&3?

My brain is beginning to hurt 馃槶
yes, sorry. I messed up. Issues PRESENT on Euro 14 on 8" Head Unit:

2. Manual day/night option is gone - now it relies on car sensor and switches automatically
4. 3D map view is some sort of a joke - 1/3 of the screen from the top shows the sky

Registered
yes, sorry. I messed up. Issues PRESENT on Euro 14 on 8" Head Unit:

2. Manual day/night option is gone - now it relies on car sensor and switches automatically
4. 3D map view is some sort of a joke - 1/3 of the screen from the top shows the sky
So, for the avoidance of doubt (as the lawyers say) the road speeds are correct on your unit and the Nav instructions come out of both Left & Right speakers?

Registered
Picanto 3 2021
Thanks - that's good news as it means the 2021 SW does some thing right on some installations.

Are you also suffering the dreaded multiple speed camera Bongs?
Yep. Bunch of new non-sense, non-existent cameras popped up this week

Super Moderator
LKA not working where?

As that can not be linked to Speed camera alerts.

Reactions: Radiorail

Registered
Is the 3d angle linked to the 'show 3d buildings' option by any chance? I was hoping for an update since mine was on 2020-purple still but reading the comments, i will wait...

41 - 60 of 75 Posts