Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
EV6 GT Line S AWD in White Pearl
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a nail in my Tyre last night. It looked like a small nail, but when I removed it, it was a lot longer than I thought, around 60mm long, also air was escaping so the nail had gone right in. I pushed the nail back in to seal the hole until I could get it sorted. I put some paint around the hole, so it can be found when the nail is removed.
As I thought it is too close to the shoulder for a standard repair. I have found a Tyre Vulcanising company who can repair the Tyre.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Registered
Probably not what you want to hear but tyre insurance would have covered that no matter what the remedy. Given the use of mobility kits these days, can we afford not too??

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tyre repaired, it was classed as a Major repair as it was outside of the 鈥渞epairable area鈥 and needed to be hot vulcanised. The lad that did it did not realise it had the foam liner, he said it was a pig of a job.
dropped off at 09:30 this morning, I got a call at 14:00 to say it was being vulcanised, I got another call at 16:30 to say it ready to collect. 拢35, expensive for a puncture, but a lot cheaper than a replacement Tyre.

Registered
Kia EV6 GT-LINE S AWD
Just to note that in the event of a puncture, the supplied mobility kit is completely and utterly useless when you have the foam liners in your tyres. The liners prevent the gunk from getting to the actual puncture. I learned that the hard way with my iPace.

Giving out these kits to us is basically taking us for idiots who will only learn this ugly truth when we have a puncture.

And you learn it by taking out the kit, screwing in the gunk tank to the kit, connecting it to a 12v outlet in the car, waiting for the gunk to distribute around the inside of the car, then attempting to blow up the tyre while wondering what the loud hissing is as you fail to see the tyre pressure increase. Then you realise what the problem is - Jaguar is run by half wits who don鈥檛 really care if you live or die.

Turns out it鈥檚 not just Jaguar. The car industry has unilaterally decided to remove spare tyres from pretty much all mass market cars. They obviously think leaving their customers faffing about in the dark, at the side of a busy road with a puncture repair kit is not enough of concern to bother figuring out an actual way to fit a spare into the vehicle.

I鈥檓 interested in the tyre insurance. Can anyone recommend a good option?

Registered
Tyre repaired, it was classed as a Major repair as it was outside of the 鈥渞epairable area鈥 and needed to be hot vulcanised.
How could that puncture possibly be classed as requiring a 'Major' repair when, according to the photo, it is in the main contact area of the tyre and well away from the shoulder and side wall?

As I stated previously, I believe on the basis of that picture that it required no special treatment.

Registered
Just to note that in the event of a puncture, the supplied mobility kit is completely and utterly useless when you have the foam liners in your tyres. The liners prevent the gunk from getting to the actual puncture. I learned that the hard way with my iPace.

Giving out these kits to us is basically taking us for idiots who will only learn this ugly truth when we have a puncture.

And you learn it by taking out the kit, screwing in the gunk tank to the kit, connecting it to a 12v outlet in the car, waiting for the gunk to distribute around the inside of the car, then attempting to blow up the tyre while wondering what the loud hissing is as you fail to see the tyre pressure increase. Then you realise what the problem is - Jaguar is run by half wits who don鈥檛 really care if you live or die.

Turns out it鈥檚 not just Jaguar. The car industry has unilaterally decided to remove spare tyres from pretty much all mass market cars. They obviously think leaving their customers faffing about in the dark, at the side of a busy road with a puncture repair kit is not enough of concern to bother figuring out an actual way to fit a spare into the vehicle.

I had a similar experience with a previous car, you forgot to mention the bit where you drive on the partially inflated tyre to slosh the gunk around.7hrs waiting in the dark meant I demanded a space saver with my ceed. Waiting 7hrs for the AA to repair a puncture means I won't use their services again.

Sadly I doubt there will be a SS option for my next car. To be fair though, unless you're unlucky, punctures are generally few and far between.

Registered
Sadly I doubt there will be a SS option for my next car. To be fair though, unless you're unlucky, punctures are generally few and far between.
According to material I read recently, a new form of airless tyre is well into the pre-production test process and could be introduced into the mass market in the near future......Mmm, I'm not sure about that, being something of a Luddite in some matters. I'm reminded of the internal combustion engine that could run on water.....I'll wait! :rolleyes:

Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
I recently bought some Bridgestone all weathers for my car from National tyres. Says it came with free lifetime warranty for punctures and even accidental damage. If needs replaced then it's percentage of tread used etc. Will see when time comes if it's any use or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The tyres on my EV6 are Continental. I have read that the gunk used by Continental is designed to work with the foam layer inside the tyre. I also used to carry a couple of cans of Holts tyre weld but it would appear this is not suitable with these tyres.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How could that puncture possibly be classed as requiring a 'Major' repair when, according to the photo, it is in the main contact area of the tyre and well away from the shoulder and side wall?

As I stated previously, I believe on the basis of that picture that it required no special treatment.

I was aware the puncture in my tyre was close to the shoulder and sent a phot to a number of tyre repair companies, all said it was too close to the side wall. i was advised it would need vulcanising.
when I took the wheel to the tyre repairers, they had a gauge to show where was safe to carry out a "minor repair", unfortunately this puncture was just outside of this area so it need a "major repair" which used the hot vulcanising method.
Product Rectangle Blue Font Screenshot

Registered
when I took the wheel to the tyre repairers, they had a gauge to show where was safe to carry out a "minor repair"
I'm well aware of the measuring criteria used to determine the appropriate repair technique but perhaps your pic is deceptive as the nail seems to be in the flat road-contact area some distance from the sidewall and even the shoulder. Perhaps it looks worse from a different angle?

Regardless, the main thing is that the tyre has been repaired and the price is a big saving on that of a replacement.

Reactions: iooi

Registered
According to material I read recently, a new form of airless tyre is well into the pre-production test process and could be introduced into the mass market in the near future......Mmm, I'm not sure about that, being something of a Luddite in some matters. I'm reminded of the internal combustion engine that could run on water.....I'll wait! :rolleyes:
Yup..as seen on the new NASA Moon Buggy鈥.

Registered
My wife's ID3 and it's 19" Goodyear tyres had a puncture almost exactly the same just this week. Nail through the tyre in almost exactly the same position. Couldn't be repaired as too close to sidewall. Interestingly the tyres are 'self-sealing' but not in the area close to the sidewall and so new tyre needed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My wife's ID3 and it's 19" Goodyear tyres had a puncture almost exactly the same just this week. Nail through the tyre in almost exactly the same position. Couldn't be repaired as too close to sidewall. Interestingly the tyres are 'self-sealing' but not in the area close to the sidewall and so new tyre needed.
You have been suckered! The Tyre could have been repaired using the Hot Vulcansing method. It is only a small number of Tre companies who do this, I suspect the Tyre place you went to couldn鈥檛 do a 鈥渕ajor repair鈥 so sold you a new tyre. This is OK if a Tyre only costs 拢50 or 拢60, but when they are expensive, they should have suggested someone capable of vulcanizing the Tyre.

Registered
I saw this, presumably a few years back. Looks wrong but I can see the possibilities. I wonder how much trade the OEMs would lose if punctures were no longer a thing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts