Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im new on this site so just say hello to everyone first. i have decided to buy a sorento i cant afford a new one so looking at 2010/11 model, i need 7 seats and the ability to tow a horsebox and pony occasionally. i would like to know if its a decent propostion for the job intended and what if anything i should look for in a used model. also if any members are selling any low mileage examples please let me know.
thanks in advance
peter.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
If you intend tow tow horse box buy auto as manuals suffer clutch problems, especially when slow manoeuvring slipping the clutch and on grass with a load on tow bar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your reply, I must admit I was beginning to think that this site was very quiet. I have been steered towards the santa fe 7 seat auto as the self leveling suspension is supposed to be a huge plus when towing. With the benefits of the class leading engine.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I have towed caravans for 48 years and have had Kias and Hyundais both with self levelling and without models. Towing the same weight of 1500kg and not a scrap of difference. Bear in mind that self levelling If the rear shock absorbers need replacing they are very expensive. Several people have posted that rather than replace them they have fitted Peddars conversion replacing rear springs and non levelling shocks for around £250 against £1000+. and reported car is better. Should add my present Santa fe auto is 5 seat non self levelling and tows faultlessly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have towed caravans for 48 years and have had Kias and Hyundais both with self levelling and without models. Towing the same weight of 1500kg and not a scrap of difference. Bear in mind that self levelling If the rear shock absorbers need replacing they are very expensive. Several people have posted that rather than replace them they have fitted Peddars conversion replacing rear springs and non levelling shocks for around £250 against £1000+. and reported car is better.
yes i saw how expensive they were. made me gulp. i guess if the worst happened id go for the conversion too. just out of interest what would you say was the better car? 2010 sorrento or 2011 santa fe. both 7 seat incarnations. or is there not a lot between them.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Mechanically and suspension they are the same motor, just differing body shell and interior. But there were several complaints on forum on the early 2010 Sorentos towing, whereas never anything on the Santa fe of the same year. I read both forums daily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mechanically and suspension they are the same motor, just differing body shell and interior. But there were several complaints on forum on the early 2010 Sorentos towing, whereas never anything on the Santa fe of the same year. I read both forums daily.
thank you for your good sound advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts