Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I'm thinking of purchasing one of the above and have been flicking through the forum to gauge reliability.
I was actually torn between an i30 or the Kia but Kia looks so much better.
The Hyundai's seem to suffer from gearbox/clutch problems, and looking on the forum there seems to be a few owners with the same problems. Is this a common problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just my thoughts. I think buying ANY 8 year old car is a gamble. Some will be better than others even across the same model and marque.

A clutch and gearbox will wear out quicker the more it is used. Hard to tell to tell and you cant always go on mileage. Outward condition can give a clue and service/MOT history. Always go into such a purchase with a fund to repair, if you cant drop £1000 off your purchase budget.

I bought my 3 year old C'eed in Feb 2019 at 23k miles now with 52k miles on the clock, it has cost me 2 x services (dealer) and 2 x MOT's and a full brake pad replacement (not dealers). Only other items are a headlight bulb, wipers and a washer jet - mostly maintenance items.

My dad had an Hyundai i40 2013 (63) and the clutch was going on that (no other issues) at just 46k miles before we sold it - there were some common reports on that model.

I think you would have to replace the clutch a bit earlier on the Kia/Hyundai models and I would say between 80-100k and while i haven't had any issues yet I think it is down to the fact they aren't quite as hard wearing as other marques. Others will differ to say.

I expect to replace my clutch around 100k of which I will have no issue with that - you might be lucky as the 1.6U2 engine I read does not have a DMF saving further money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Yes i agree that buying an 8yr old car is always a gamble but unfortunately that's all my budget allows. I had originally looked at an i40 but most seem to have clutch problems which i believe they have never rectified so hence why im looking at the i30 or kia ceed.
I thought all diesels had a DMF, but hearing you say that you think otherwise is reasuring! I would always budget for clutch and consumables like brake discs, pads etc needing replaced sooner rahter than later with a used car.
They seem to fair better with regards to DPF's as i was originally looking at diesel skoda octavias or golfs but after there emissions fix on most of vw based diesel engines they all now have problems!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gearbox's are a weak spot across the whole Kia range and although the Cee'd is better than most its not uncommon to find them with syncromesh issues, a crunching on test drive will give the game away. Have a look underneath for any signs of oil leaking from the joint between the engine and box, this is bad news and means the gearbox input shaft seal has failed.
The only other common fault is the DLR strips failing and can be a costly repair if the car is out of warranty, its a well known issue and Kia are doing them as a goodwill gesture but its probably best to ensure you buy a car with a full service history as this will be looked upon more favorably.
DPF issues are virtually unheard of with the Cee'd and the Diesel engine is virtually bomb proof.Everyone seems obsessed with the Sportage but I think the Cee'd is a much better car in SW form and a great used buy

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I was under the impression the running gear namely the floor pan engines, gearboxes and suspension are shared across the Kia/ Hyundai brand?
Just seen your original post.
I had a 2013 Kia sportwagen from new and ran it for nearly 5 years and 45000 miles. Nothing, absolutely nothing mechanical went wrong in that time. The drl strips were both changed under warranty but that was the only failure. I would comment, though, that the reversing light on the car iis p...poor and I eventually sourced a decent led bulb to get a bit more glim out of the back of the car. For me the car was utterly reliable, very economical (especially on trips from Surrey to Fife each year) and a great allrounder. Good luck with your search.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts