Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last 3 cars have been Skodas, and in the past i've had a number of VAG cars, and if KIA are reading this i'd like to offer a couple of suggestions (software related so should be easily doable) in relation to lights and wipers.

On most VAG cars, there's a logic to the auto lights that means if the wipers are on full, the dipped beam lights come on. Likewise if you go over a certain speed (75mph iirc). There's also the option to set the sensitivity of the lights sensor. All were optional via tick boxes on the screen.

This week while I was driving in the pouring rain it occured to me I had no lights on, and of course while it's no hassle to do it manually, I keep forgetting to do so.

So, KIA, can you pass this on to someone back in R&D and suggest it for the next update?

Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
Seems a sensible improvement and while I'm all for suggestions to Kia for SW improvements - at present I'd prefer if they would focus on the Nav unit SW that they have been struggling with for the last 5 months 馃槃

TBH since they don't seem able to synchronise the reading of speed signs with map data and a number of other apparently 'simple' SW matters you may be better to remove your suggestion lest you end up with the rain sensor turning the AC on and the headlights flashing with the wiper movement 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ - unless that sort of automation 'floats your boat' LOL

• Haha
Reactions: mr.macspot

Registered
@J500ANT I think you had better ask the mods to shift this discussion to the "Kia Customer Support" section of the Forum if you want CS to read your suggestion. You surely don't expect them to read every page of every section of this forum, do you?

Reactions: bydandie

Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
Did you not have DRLs on? Thought they were automatic if the lights are set to 鈥榓uto鈥. My Ceed has DRL all the time irrespective of light or weather if the lights are in the Auto position. Bit of a retrograde if the EV6 doesnt

Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
Good point - I think DRLs, where fitted, have to be on whenever the vehicle is moving.

Registered
Ah yes, VAG; well known for their 'creative' software...
I can think of a few improvements to our golf's s/ware. There is clearly some German logic to the setup, but it still feels the wrong way to do it.

As for auto headlights, I had a very similar experience the other week but with DRL's I don't think it's a major problem.

Registered
Gov.uk..
鈥淰ehicle manufacturers must fit DRL to new types of passenger car and light goods vehicle (car derived vans) type approved to European vehicle requirements from February 2011鈥RL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are switched on. They may however remain off in some low speed and stationary situations.鈥

I鈥檝e noticed that the DRLs turn off when my EV6 is stationary and the engine is on. But they definitely work when the car is moving in all weathers - I鈥檝e seen the reflection in the rear of vehicles in front.

Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
Gov.uk..
鈥淰ehicle manufacturers must fit DRL to new types of passenger car and light goods vehicle (car derived vans) type approved to European vehicle requirements from February 2011鈥RL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are switched on. They may however remain off in some low speed and stationary situations.鈥

I鈥檝e noticed that the DRLs turn off when my EV6 is stationary and the engine is on. But they definitely work when the car is moving in all weathers - I鈥檝e seen the reflection in the rear of vehicles in front.
I can add to this in regards to my Stonic, and probably other recent Kias, which does not have side/marker lights (the DRL double for those) hence when the headlights are on the DRLs drop to a dimmer setting to comply with the need for white forward facing marker lights.

Registered
Same on my Ceed. They dim. Clever, stops people being dazzled on hills for example and saves load on the battery.

Registered
On my Niro, the DRLs turn off when you put the parking brake on for some bizarre reason best known to Kia, I assume it's the same on the EV6.

Registered
To prevent other road users being dazzled. They just dim to side lights on my Ceed. It also probably reduces the need for an x circuit to remove consumers when cranking. Part of the ISG system I expect

Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
Same on a lot of other brands. Not one of my favourite features. Would rather they stay on all the time. Given the way some people cut corners. Lights stand out far more than none..
I'm pretty sure that the build regulations require DLRs to be off if the car is stationary (as has been said to avoid dazzle to other drivers). If the DLRs also serve as marker/side lights they are to be dimmed when stationary (this happens on my Stonic)

Edit; Daytime running lights

Super Moderator
When you put the handbrake on they go totally off, even with engine running. Certainly did on my Stonic. They only dim when you turn on side or headlights.

DRL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are switched on. They may however remain off in some low speed and stationary situations. In general all other lights should remain off when the DRL are on
It's only a " May" not a have too.

Edit to add.
If using Auto Hold. The DRL's do not go off, but use the Handbrake & they do? What is the difference?

Registered
This might be appropriate for this thread. I have a GT Line S on order for next March and scouring the spec sheets and manual just now I can't find any reference to front fog lights. I know it has magic headlights and rear fogs so does it not need front fogs??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts