Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

"Thing" has been a sick bad ill Soul last week.

Would only do a max of 20mph over hills and 40mph everywhere else. When went to the dealer on sat to get the mirror glass replaced (At last yay) and asked if i could book it in for this and they said they would look at it know....humm niceness is not gotta fix the broken feelings i have for wessex.

Well when "Thing" was in there hands and i was sat there for 2 hours he had the mirror glass done, new EGR Valve and Driver side window switch as passenger side widow would not open.

Since sat he goes like sink and never did that that day we collected him, saying that i didn't wanna drive him too fast till 1,000 miles was on the clock....i'm strange like that as when i owned two new Clio's i had to run the engines in for 900 miles and not go over 60mph, so i did the same with "Thing".

Got the best MPG out of him too sincedec onsat night........39.1mpg woo yeah

Dee

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
an EGR valve already!!!.... it must have been faulty from new..... they usually pack up every 3 years with fiats..... we have discussed on here giving the diesels a good ragging occassionally.... the EGR is one of the things that gets cleaned out when you do this. But it should not need it at such a low mileage. Lets hope thats the end of the maladies and that "thing" behaves from now on.

and 39mpg is spot on for your mileage... it will continue to improve as time goes on. Enjoy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what i said sat morning....Glad i'm not mad and thinking that. I went down the M32 sat night and Ringroad so had a good ragging, like i used to do with my Diesel Clio.

I have given "Thing" a good telling off and told him if he does not behave i will not wash him lol.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I am sorry that "Thing" has not been behaving of late. The MPG will get much better , mine has been steady at 45 ish however we are looking to move to the east coast so we have had quite a few 250 milesplus trips and over the weekend and yesterday we went to the coast twice,with the fuel costs I did not exceed 70mph and most of the time I was around 60mph. It did take a lot of willpower not to push the Soul but the results were 53mpg over around 540 miles so take heart if I can get that anybody can (providing you can drive slower)

·
Registered
283 Posts
........and none of that supermarket weasel pee. Only use good quality branded fuel or better still any of the "super" diesel. The little extra in price will pay dividends.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A mechanic I know says someSupermarket fuel has to have lots of additives in itto make it work in UK cars & you get less miles from a tank , even though its cheaper .
The total garage near me Ive used for years & Id say sometimes , I can get 100 more from a tank from there than if I buy at Tesco or Saisburys .

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
with the cost of fuel being so ridiculous now - a few pence a litre more for the good stuff may well be worth doing and hardly noticeable in the overall cost. I always have used supermarket stuff without problem..... but i think its time for a change if the fuel economy and longterm engine life benefit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had to bring the RS down from V-power to normal unleaded as can't afford it....Well i can't affort it full stop as it drinks it like a fish tankand looking to cycling to work soon.

I ran my Diesel Clio on Sainbury's Diesel and had no problems with it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i think the entire country is gonna be on bikes soon..... maybe then they will move the call centres back here from india.... the countries are gonna finish up the same.... them on the way up - us on the way down!!!.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
There is a large fuel depot north of Sheffield and I am sure that I have seen a multitude of different tankers filling up there irespective of what company they are,I thought the company just added their own cocktail of additives to the tanker . Could be wrong but I thought that all the fuel was made to a set spec,I will have to look into itas its got me curious now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
tempest said:
I always have used supermarket stuff without problem..... but i think its time for a change if the fuel economy and longterm engine life benefit.
I just wonder what has caused that EGR to stick on such a new vehicle. It is a very common problem on RAV4s (which I have just come from) if they are not run on quality fuel. It will be interesting to see if any more pop up and if we are therefor dealing with a fuel issue or a sticky valve issue.

You can recover a RAV EGR by cleaning but not studied a Soul one although I spotted where it lives the other day.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It's probably a fault in manufacture that has got passed the quality control, Kia will havecodes for all types of faults and process them so if any area shows up on the computer it will flag a problem that needs attention.I doubt it could be fuel as the soul has only done a few miles. With a new one in place I don't think that any further trouble will be found.
If all fuel is manufactered to a set standard and the engine is designed against that standard then the fuel should not be an issue. If the engine will work in Russia on their fuel it will work anywhere !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts