Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why am I not surprised? As has been mooted for some time now Plug-in Hybrids are a con to get round emission legislation. You'll not save the planet or reduce your your carbon foortprint with one of these - Discuss

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
You'll not save the planet or reduce your your carbon foortprint with one of these
It’s an interesting take on the current situation but in truth, I don’t think there is any ‘one size fits all’ solution that would satisfy the various lobbying groups in the major car-using countries.

Toyota’s Prius regular model has been around for quite a few years and still stacks up well by any measure compared to all the newer, allegedly greener offerings from a host of manufacturers. They too market a PHEV but I don’t know what the take-up has been with that.

All electric cars then? The whole concept is fraught with problems and, in a sense, it’s just like kicking the can down the road a bit as we will still be depleting the planet’s precious resources one way or another. I don’t know the answer but if there is one thing I am certain of, it is that corrupt politicians cannot be trusted to protect the environment.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why am I not surprised? As has been mooted for some time now Plug-in Hybrids are a con to get round emission legislation. You'll not save the planet or reduce your your carbon foortprint with one of these - Discuss

The first thing that jumps in to mind is cardigans and jackets with reinforced elbows when green cars are mentioned🤭
I do agree mostly, the mild hybrids are the biggest con, I think the mpg of the Sportage suggests this.
Plus the particular need for the certain raw materials to build one of these cars, especially in the Lithium-ion batteries. These batteries are about 30% of the cost of a new all electric car and I would think a good chunk of a PHEV plus the electric motor and controls in addition to the petrol engine of which is not the most planet friendly on emissions.
Then we come down to the RRP, they aren't at all cheap.Then we have end of life and how the batteries get disposed of responsibly, and I one would have to question this.
Regarding the carbon footprint, IMHO the planet could probably be better off without these.

·
Super Moderator
3,160 Posts
But analysis from pressure groups Transport and Environment and Greenpeace suggest they emit an average of 120g of CO2 per km.
Reminds me of the article that company reps were buying them to reduce the tax paid, but never charged them up.... As that cost THEM money, but filling up with petrol did not as the company paid for it.

PHEV or HEV is top of my list for a new car (shame Kia do not do the Sportage in either PHEV or HEV only the pointless MEV, which has a diesel engine. Not a petrol one.
My average trip is less than 30 miles. So would be running on EV power the vast majority of time. So 0 CO2 per km. Unless EV's actually use CO2.

PHEV CO2 emissions are really down to how user runs the car. Charge up when needed zero/low CO2, do not charge up then high CO2.
Very much like the MPG they will return.

Just remember that unless it's a free charge port, it is not cost effective to recharge car while out. Due to high cost of charging.
Somewhere around 26 mins onwards.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just consider how much energy (not just nuclear fuel) is required to produce all that extra electrIckery to run these battery’s in these £35000 plus cars, then the government will increase tax,it seems like only a few years ago motorists were being enticed into buying dirty diesels to reduce co2 and reduce their tax,never mind the NOX which in turn produced dieselgate with Cheating VAG ,MERCEDES,etc etc,if pollution is that much concern why are exotic 3,4,5,6,7.8 litre cars still being produced at a time when there is talk of reducing motorway Max speed limit to 60 mph it appears if you have the money / wealth it’s a case of carry on polluting Or buy a £150.000 battery car to ease you conscientious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts