Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week we showed you the all new Kia Optima with 1.6L turbo. And today, we have the new Optima with 2.0L MPi engine. This all new Kia Optima with 2.0L gasoline engine drives a lot better than the all new Hyundai Sonata. Let me tell you why.

#kiaoptima #kia #kiak5

https://youtu.be/KVlKp-jp9q4

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I'm not sure the 2.0L is at all necessary in the UK (even if KIA decide to market the Optima here) but the model looks great, seems to go well and a Sportswagon variant would be on my shopping list if available.

Actually, it wouldn't bother me whether the car had a KIA or Hyundai badge on the front, I could happily live with either as I have now owned both makers' big estate models.

Whether we ever get to see either the Hyundai or the KIA in the UK remains to be seen but if they decide not to offer those cars in the UK, I shan't be buying one of their SUV/Crossover offerings - my hard-earned will most likely go to a German or Swedish carmaker for one of their estate cars.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm not sure the 2.0L is at all necessary in the UK (even if KIA decide to market the Optima here) but the model looks great, seems to go well and a Sportswagon variant would be on my shopping list if available.

Actually, it wouldn't bother me whether the car had a KIA or Hyundai badge on the front, I could happily live with either as I have now owned both makers' big estate models.

Whether we ever get to see either the Hyundai or the KIA in the UK remains to be seen but if they decide not to offer those cars in the UK, I shan't be buying one of their SUV/Crossover offerings - my hard-earned will most likely go to a German or Swedish carmaker for one of their estate cars.
I thought it was fully confirmed that these were not coming to the UK in any way?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I thought it was fully confirmed that these were not coming to the UK in any way?
You may well be right, 'smellmet', but I haven't actually read anything other than a few lines by some motoring hack in one of the car mags. Perhaps it is official and the journos know for definite that the UK market will be denied these new models?

It seems crazy to me that both Hyundai and KIA have these new large saloon offerings and that neither may see the light of day in the UK. However, if that is the way ahead as viewed by the bean counters at both companies, I shan't be visiting their showrooms just to cast my eyes over a bunch of lookalike SUV/Crossovers in a variety of sizes.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You may well be right, 'smellmet', but I haven't actually read anything other than a few lines by some motoring hack in one of the car mags. Perhaps it is official and the journos know for definite that the UK market will be denied these new models?

It seems crazy to me that both Hyundai and KIA have these new large saloon offerings and that neither may see the light of day in the UK. However, if that is the way ahead as viewed by the bean counters at both companies, I shan't be visiting their showrooms just to cast my eyes over a bunch of lookalike SUV/Crossovers in a variety of sizes.
I'm exactly the same. I sat in a Sportage last weekend to see if it could be a potential replacement for my optima, and there was nowhere near enough legroom in the front for me, and I found the interior to be just not as nice as the Optima (even my Mk1 model). I sat in a new Sorento and the space and cabin quality in that car is much nicer, but am I willing to sacrifice a probable 10mpg drop with increased costs in tyres, tax and servicing? Absolutely not. That leaves just the Stinger to accommodate my 6ft 7 inch frame, which it does nicely, but they've gone and discontinued the only model that has even vaguely sensible running costs. Waaaaaah! I've even held my nose and considered a Carens but surprise, surprise, that's been discontinued too! I guess I could be tempted by the new Proceed, the front cabin space is just about enough, but they don't offer any variant with full leather - WTF?

I just don't get this obsession with SUVs, especially as none of the models in Kia's range now suits my needs. I mean they offer these infernal things in a ridiculous amount of sizes (and none of them are right for me) - all I want is ONE large family car that's adept at pounding the motorway, hell offer it as estate only with one engine again if you must, but why alienate this market to this degree?

I can see me going to another manufacturer and purchasing an extended warranty at this rate

Reactions: Tommo21 and Indalo

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm exactly the same. I sat in a Sportage last weekend to see if it could be a potential replacement for my optima, and there was nowhere near enough legroom in the front for me, and I found the interior to be just not as nice as the Optima (even my Mk1 model). I sat in a new Sorento and the space and cabin quality in that car is much nicer, but am I willing to sacrifice a probable 10mpg drop with increased costs in tyres, tax and servicing? Absolutely not. That leaves just the Stinger to accommodate my 6ft 7 inch frame, which it does nicely, but they've gone and discontinued the only model that has even vaguely sensible running costs. Waaaaaah! I've even held my nose and considered a Carens but surprise, surprise, that's been discontinued too! I guess I could be tempted by the new Proceed, the front cabin space is just about enough, but they don't offer any variant with full leather - WTF?

I just don't get this obsession with SUVs, especially as none of the models in Kia's range now suits my needs. I mean they offer these infernal things in a ridiculous amount of sizes (and none of them are right for me) - all I want is ONE large family car that's adept at pounding the motorway, hell offer it as estate only with one engine again if you must, but why alienate this market to this degree?

I can see me going to another manufacturer and purchasing an extended warranty at this rate
For some reason this just does not seem to be getting through to Kia.

Indalo I think blames the bean counters and I would agree.

New Skoda Superb is the obvious replacement if Kia continue to ignore the UK with this new model despite the shorter warranty. As you say, just need to build an extended warranty into your budget and you have an equivalent period of cover if you want it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
For some reason this just does not seem to be getting through to Kia.

Indalo I think blames the bean counters and I would agree.

New Skoda Superb is the obvious replacement if Kia continue to ignore the UK with this new model despite the shorter warranty. As you say, just need to build an extended warranty into your budget and you have an equivalent period of cover if you want it.
Yeah I can agree with the bean counters point, but the model wasn't exactly supported very well in the first place with the solitary engine and token PHEV. I just don't understand in this age of niches and sub niches of cars and crossovers being released for seemingly every situation that there isn't a single model in Kias range that comes close to suiting my (perfectly normal) needs.

The Skoda superb ticks a lot of boxes with a few engine choices, one of them being the 190bhp diesel which. The VW Arteon (or Passat even) would suit my needs also, especially with the 240bhp diesel. Or maybe Volvo V60 of some kind, maybe they are too pricey. The Mazda 6 appeals, having 2 diesel engine choices, but I've been reading horror stories about the DPF system on these. There's even choices from Ford or Vauxhall, let alone the likes of BMW/Audi/Mercedes, yet nothing from Kia? It's a real shame as I really like the brand, the cars, and most importantly, the warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts