Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to buy a spare cabin filter for the 2018 JA Picanto today. I nearly dropped dead at the price - $69.30. EACH!! Twelve months ago they cost half of that. Can't help wondering if the massive price increase is due to the pandemic or taking advantage of the pandemic. Not sure how often Kia now specify these things need to be changed but I changed my first one at only 8,100 kms from brand new and it was beyond filthy. Mind you, I had moved to a new estate being developed and there was definitely more dust running around than normal.

But stuffed if I am going to replace these things every year if they cost that much. I know Ryco make a replacement one here in Australia for the Picanto and I think I will go that route once I have used this spare one I got today. Oil filter and engine air filter prices have not changed at all - just the cabin filters. In all honesty I just can't help thinking this is taking advantage of the pandemic and people suddenly now thinking about the air they are breathing!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Can't help wondering if the massive price increase is due to the pandemic or taking advantage of the pandemic.
Undoubtedly, there is some sheer profiteering going on by some shysters, taking advantage of the ready excuse that it's the fault of of others in the supply chain being affected by Covid restrictions. While that may be true or partly so, I can't see how that necessitates a price increase such as you have described.

'It's business my son; all about supply and demand, see!'.........I think not!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Last one i bought was just over £10 equivalent 20 AUD but that was from a local parts shop not Kia direct, and after a quick search on Google they are still quite near to that price here in the UK now

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last one i bought was just over £10 equivalent 20 AUD but that was from a local parts shop not Kia direct, and after a quick search on Google they are still quite near to that price here in the UK now
Looks like even the aftermarket Ryco ones are not that much cheaper. I have seen some "re-usable" foam ones but to be honest I think there is a difference between a foam filter I might put on my lawn mower versus a cabin filter which has to serve as a pretty darned good filter to keep the air quality inside the car at a high standard.

I don't know what car websites and magazines have been saying in the UK, but here in Australia they are almost trying to put buyers in a panic, telling them if they don't buy now they might have to wait a year....well, how about just not bothering to buy now and see what the market is like in a year! They are citing chip shortages but as someone pointed out, supply and demand will eventually sort it out. I mean, as if there is any commercial advantage in deliberately not making enough product, especially when it comes to something like cars where the more volume you can push, the higher the profits - overall and per unit sold and also per unit serviced over its useful life. So yes, I think there is definitely some profiteering going on based on creating a perception of lack of supply.

But at the dealership today I have never seen so many shiny brand new Kias as I saw today - more than at any dealership I have been to for years including the new Niro (to be fair I have not been near a capital city for years though, though the cities I frequent these days are still fairly decent sized ones).

·
Registered
254 Posts
We are seeing more issues due to brexit and the lack of Eastern european drivers on supply chains, but no we are not seeing panic buying being pushed by the trade for anything tbh,

New cars are suffering from the chip shortages and we are starting to see delays in some vehicles of up to 6 months, but I just had my new Piccy GT line S in 6 weeks lol. We are being warned that new car prices will be hit soon by the global rise in shipping costs, containers prices to the UK have really gone through the roof apparently.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Talking to a friend on another forum who is a fellow supermod.. he is a garage owner for 45 years and was saying the same.. prices are shooting up to a ridicules price and he is finding it harder to price work when you get the parts and they have shot up in price from the week before when he priced the job.... he said that latex gloves have shot up 150% because of Covid and I know for a fact that Dettol wipes have.. wife can get those in Home bargains normally for around a pound a pack but back in 2020 there became a shortage and I had to use eBay to get them @ 3 for £15 from a rip off merchant in Swansea.. screwed over by a fellow Welshman how do you like those eggs.. :mad:

Even the cheapo Chinese junk brake pads have shot up to a level of a decent set so hoping that people will at least buy decent over junk..

·
Super Moderator
5,987 Posts

Makes scary reading.

When you find the likes of Walmart & Ikea are now buying their own containers & charter ships independently. You realise that supply chains are at or just passed break point.

Too many products being sourced out of one country does not help either. Especially when you hear that they have had to shut some ports for several days due to Covid. Even a one day shut down has a massive knock on effect.

Found other links but all paywalled.

Reactions: Cold Sausage

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got one of these from MicksGarage for about £7.50 it was dead easy to change, Kia don't change them until 20,000 miles and it was filthy at 14,000 but they are happy to charge £30 to spray some germ killer into the air conditioning at the 10,000 mile service. Me thinks someone is taking the iss :).

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
212 Posts
Changed mine this evening, genuine Kia part for approx £22 delivered, not too bad, although Kia did want £38 to supply/fit… no thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.... he said that latex gloves have shot up 150% because of Covid and I know for a fact that Dettol wipes have..
I've had trouble getting gloves full stop. I used to be able to get a decent quality nitrile glove for car servicing and other "heavy duty" tasks at the supermarket. The company stopped making them soon into the pandemic and put their attention towards gear for hospitals, etc. It is now really hard to get any latex gloves here in Australia except the thin fragile types you might use for food preparation or the ultra heavy duty ones that go up your arm for house / kitchen cleaning.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got one of these from MicksGarage for about £7.50 it was dead easy to change, Kia don't change them until 20,000 miles and it was filthy at 14,000 but they are happy to charge £30 to spray some germ killer into the air conditioning at the 10,000 mile service. Me thinks someone is taking the iss :).
I decided to check today the one I installed in November last year (about 10,000 kms ago). It was quite obviously discoloured compared to a new one but thankfully not nearly as bad as the original which I replaced at only 8,000 odd kms. Still, at the rate they are getting dirtied up I will probably still want to replace this one in November this year. I am just hoping when they finish the last houses in my estate the dust levels might further reduce and I can stretch it out to maybe 18 months.

Does make me realise how dirtied up the insides of car ventilation systems must have gotten in the old days when filters weren't even thought of in those applications. Whoever decided to start using high quality air filters for car interiors made a very good decision imo, even if it does mean another consumable to regularly replace.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Went to buy a spare cabin filter for the 2018 JA Picanto today. I nearly dropped dead at the price - $69.30. EACH!! Twelve months ago they cost half of that. Can't help wondering if the massive price increase is due to the pandemic or taking advantage of the pandemic. Not sure how often Kia now specify these things need to be changed but I changed my first one at only 8,100 kms from brand new and it was beyond filthy. Mind you, I had moved to a new estate being developed and there was definitely more dust running around than normal.

But stuffed if I am going to replace these things every year if they cost that much. I know Ryco make a replacement one here in Australia for the Picanto and I think I will go that route once I have used this spare one I got today. Oil filter and engine air filter prices have not changed at all - just the cabin filters. In all honesty I just can't help thinking this is taking advantage of the pandemic and people suddenly now thinking about the air they are breathing!
There was no need to replace the cabin filter at 8,100 kms in the first place but most likely after 30,000 kms

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Not sure how often Kia now specify these things need to be changed but I changed my first one at only 8,100 kms from brand new and it was beyond filthy. Mind you, I had moved to a new estate being developed and there was definitely more dust running around than normal.

But stuffed if I am going to replace these things every year if they cost that much.
We had our Ceed SW 5 years and never replaced the filter. Took it out every 6 months (when I was cleaning the interior) and knocked it on the drive to get the surprising large bits of debris off the filter. Then used the vacuum to clean the filter (from the atmosphere side) and the difference was pretty amazing, the dirt was basically all on the atmosphere side. Filter looked like new after 10 seconds.

All in it added about 2 minutes to the time it took to clean the car and cost nothing.

Kia do not specify a replacement time and its not part of any service. Obviously in some areas its going to collect more dirt than in others so simply spend the 2 minutes more often.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There was no need to replace the cabin filter at 8,100 kms in the first place but most likely after 30,000 kms
You might not have seen my other thread but at 8,100 kms, the filter was dark brown, caked thoroughly in dirt and stunk - it was disgusting. I hav enever seen worse and was horrified. The car was used in a very dusty environment (new estate - houses being built everywhere) and I can tell you that it should actually have been replaced earlier than that had I seen the condition of it before then.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
ebay dot co dot uk.
brand name filters from about £24 including post to Australia. Sounds better than £69-
Coming back to this thread and Jack I think has pretty much hit the nail upon its head.. also I think look for a country that is closer to home Cold Sausage.. Malaysia comes to mind.. does this country deal with Kia parts in its many car outlets. Certainly worth a look I think..

·
Banned
54 Posts
Just had my filter changed by Kia for £15 then found out it should have been part of the service schedule so they refunded my money and gave me £50 as a good will gesture for charging me for supplying / fitting the part

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
they refunded my money and gave me £50 as a good will gesture for charging me for supplying / fitting the part
That really is a fantastic result, above and beyond, if you will.

I haven't looked but I'd like to think you have given the dealer a mention in the 'KIA dealers review' sub-forum. The dealers generally get a bad press but credit where it is due - if they cock it up but respond as you have described, then that is noteworthy.

·
Banned
54 Posts
That really is a fantastic result, above and beyond, if you will.

I haven't looked but I'd like to think you have given the dealer a mention in the 'KIA dealers review' sub-forum. The dealers generally get a bad press but credit where it is due - if they cock it up but respond as you have described, then that is noteworthy.
I am new on here so just looking for the KIA dealers review' sub-forum.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts