Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Worth noting that the manufacturers' economy figures are measured under near lab conditions on a rolling road with the car controlled by computer. In the real world it would be almost impossible to consistently obtain similar figures - there are just too many variables that affect fuel consumption. Because all manufacturers follow the same process in measuring consumption, it does give a very good comparison between models when choosing a new car.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
583 Posts
In my case, the Stonic meets all published figures consistently.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
389 Posts
Miles per gallon is fairly irrelevant as it really comes down to miles per £, or cost per mile.
Petrol is less per litre than diesel, and lpg is cheaper still even considering the conversion cost over a period, so there's some maths involved in them all. Plus the cost of the vehicle of course, over the time it's owned/rented etc.
And no I won't work them out for you!! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
Pretty sure that WLTP are gained using pure fuel & not E5/10 fuel. Which again may affect the results, or not as the case maybe.

As ever MPG has more to do with driver & weather conditions than anything else. Unless you are running on flat tyres 🤣

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
As ever MPG has more to do with driver & weather conditions than anything else.
Exactly! The trouble with car forums is that they are populated by so many bullshitters who simply lie about their car's fuel economy in the perverse belief that it will somehow enhance their status among peers as if it's a contest to be won thus raising their perception in the minds of others.

I can do basic arithmetic and my credit card statement never lies so I know exactly the fuel economy of my car, long-term, over all kinds of terrain, weather, traffic and all the other factors that contribute to fuel economy. I never seek to impress with additional guff as some do, such as, 'but on a run I get.....' as that really is an irrelevance.

Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
583 Posts
Pretty sure that WLTP are gained using pure fuel & not E5/10 fuel. Which again may affect the results, or not as the case maybe.

As ever MPG has more to do with driver & weather conditions than anything else. Unless you are running on flat tyres 🤣
According to the WLTP site, they use E10. I think it doesn't matter really, but I found this: ECE-TRANS-WP.29-GRPE-2021-10e.pdf (unece.org)

But even if they didn't, user tests of retail fuel at UK forecourts shows that E5 petrol from most retailers (Shell, BP, etc.) does not contain any ethanol, or at most up to 1%, and E10 fuels from same retailers contain between 0% and 3% ethanol.

This will change once retailers will be forced to put at least 5% ethanol in E10 petrol.

For now, it really should not be an issue:
What is Ethanol? – Shell Support

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
389 Posts
Well, I think we all like the 'on a run' figures to make us feel better, but as you say, average cost per fill referenced to mileage over a lengthy period is the real relevance rather than nipping somewhere local on a snowy day, otherwise we'd all walk to the paper shop - or send the kid next door...
Thing is, who puts everything in? Tyres, servicing, fuel conversion (in my case), carpets, car cleaning, purchase against trade in value? Where do we stop?
I think everything in versus everything out over the life of the vehicle is very unlikely to be done because of the pure headscratchiness over time.
Although I could be wrong, after all I've been divorced twice........ o_O

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi

As with most things, the devil is in the detail and it is why you see Manufacture MPG and real world MPG and in the real world there are so many variables that they are only a guide.
I was thinking and adding to my post from last year regarding the MPG of my Niro and E10 petrol.
The listed MPG for my car is 64 miles (14.1MPL) but MY real world MPG was around 59 miles (12.97MPL) obtained by dividing the miles travelled by the amount of fuel used but with the very occasional 64 plus the odd 75 as displayed on the dash. Then came E10 and the cold weather and my MPG dropped to about 49 miles (10.77MPL).

After a number of months experimenting with my driving style and fuel, My findings have lead me the following:-

Driving style and the type of driving (e.g. Motorways, minor roads, average speeds 30/45/60/70) do have a major effect, fuel (e.g. E10 49MPG / 10.77MPL or E5 59MPG / 12.97MPL) and a BIG factor has been air temperature 10C or below wipes about 10MPG. I have found that if I accelerate at a steady speed and average 30MPH my dash shows that my average MPG reaches 75 Miles. These are my, none scientific findings, driving my M-HEV Niro 1.6 Petrol.

That is why Manufacture MPG should never be taken on face value especially when you hear stories of some who have taped over all the door/frame joints, tests carried out on a rolling road or circuits which are flat at a constant speed, none of which is real world.

I'm happy with 59MPG with the occasional 75 bonus.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi

As with most things, the devil is in the detail and it is why you see Manufacture MPG and real world MPG and in the real world there are so many variables that they are only a guide.
I was thinking and adding to my post from last year regarding the MPG of my Niro and E10 petrol.
The listed MPG for my car is 64 miles (14.1MPL) but MY real world MPG was around 59 miles (12.97MPL) obtained by dividing the miles travelled by the amount of fuel used but with the very occasional 64 plus the odd 75 as displayed on the dash. Then came E10 and the cold weather and my MPG dropped to about 49 miles (10.77MPL).

After a number of months experimenting with my driving style and fuel, My findings have lead me the following:-

Driving style and the type of driving (e.g. Motorways, minor roads, average speeds 30/45/60/70) do have a major effect, fuel (e.g. E10 49MPG / 10.77MPL or E5 59MPG / 12.97MPL) and a BIG factor has been air temperature 10C or below wipes about 10MPG. I have found that if I accelerate at a steady speed and average 30MPH my dash shows that my average MPG reaches 75 Miles. These are my, none scientific findings, driving my M-HEV Niro 1.6 Petrol.

That is why Manufacture MPG should never be taken on face value especially when you hear stories of some who have taped over all the door/frame joints, tests carried out on a rolling road or circuits which are flat at a constant speed, none of which is real world.

I'm happy with 59MPG with the occasional 75 bonus.

Regards

Paul
I like your use of MPL and wonder why it is not now the defacto uk measurement for fuel consumption? Or at least a selectable option.

In UK we are sold fossil fuel in Litres and travel distances in miles. It seams blindingly obvious (to me at least) that this would be the best measure for assessing not only fuel efficiency but also how much a journey will actually cost.

I'm guessing the younger generation, more used to cm, ltrs and kgs, will have no concept of a gallon, let's face it they'll likely be around much longer than someone like me in my late 50s. (BTW I very rarely use imperial measurements these days, except for my pint of Guinness).

It's only a simple calculation (mpg ÷ 4.54) that's needed in the cars software to give an extra choice when selecting the "units" via the head unit? I could work it out on the fly, but hey I'm almost 60 :rolleyes:

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
975 Posts
Trouble is they can not agree on the best way to display the usage. As some do it Ltr to 100Km other it's ltr per KM.

Give me good old MPG. I know exactly what that means. (y)
I always used to fill up with 45.5 litres ie 10 gallons, so I knew where I was. Now adjusting to miles per Kw
I use firkins to the furlong, so that requires some careful calculation...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts