Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my Forge intake as I needed some cash a month ago and i've been running the stock intake since.

I miss the intake, both the way the felt better when pulling but also the sound. The sound was rather loud and you either loved it or hated it. I loved it.

Trouble is all of the off the shelf items (Forge, K&N) etc are rather expensive and you looking to spend at least £200. I didn't want to do this so decided to look at other options.

The obvious one was to buy a cone filter and just to bolt that on. Trouble is it looks a bit ghetto and the open cones, as I had discovered with the Forge intake, are open to heat soak.

Looking at the stock setup, it isn't that bad compared to some OE setups. There are no tight turns or restrictive areas. The airbox itself has no baffles or anything to block things either.

So I looked at what Mountune do for the Fiesta ST and their stage one setup is simply a K&N filter in a stock airbox with but with an extra cold air feed. It would be fairly difficult to install a new cold air feed into our airbox due to the angles at the bottom of it so I decided to allow it to breath slightly better.

Cost = free. Having driven the car it makes a lovely difference to the intake noise and you can hear the turbo whistling which is exactly what I wanted. It also seems to pull a bit nicer too and this is with the stock paper air filter.

I ordered a replacement bottom half of the airbox from KIA in order to switch over come service time, a simple 5 minute job :)

Edited by: Jam0r

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leave the airbox in. All this does is allow more air to be taken through the filter into the engine, essentially what a cone filter does but without suffering so much from heat soak.

The filter itself, although restrictive, is still held back by the single intake into the airbox. Drilling the holes allows the car to swallow more air

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just wondered what airbox you ordered as kia list the air filter as the same for the 1.4 diesel and the 1.6 diesel.so assuming the gt airbox is the same as these cos the filter is the same. 'what was the part number if you have it.was gonna do the same with mine but i have an old mesh door flyscreen which i'll be slicing and dicing to fit inside the airbox to keep excess rubbish off of my jetex filter otherwise i reckon i'll be cleaning it once a fortnight!!!! Did notice with the jetex filter in it trapped more bugs n stuff during the summer.due no doubt to the extra air the intercooler was sucking in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.