Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hopefully a fellow Sportage 4 trim owner can help here... my 2017 4 Sportage was in for a LKAS system fault which was giving me warnings on the TFT display on the speedo . This warning also flagged up SLIF and Automatic headlight assist faults, all connected to the camera being faulty. Noted on other Kia ownersthis has happened to them so big deal got sorted under warranty.
HoweverI picked the car up Friday evening and noticed the SLIF display on the the small TFT display was missing, the LKAS is working now but not the SLIF display. It works on the Sat Nav screen but the camera does not provide that with the info it's done from the Sat Nav map.
So basically am I wrong in thinking there is a SLIF display on the small TFT display between the rev counter and speedo or am I imagining it ? When I scroll through the menu on the TFT display the SLIF is not there ... any info from a 4 spec owner would be appreciated before I visit the dealer on Monday and start shouting very loudly lol

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
2,148 Posts
Yes there is speed limit information on the dash screen, it was there on both my 2017 Sportage KX-2 and on my current Sportage. It displays the speeds read by the camera.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.. yes I didn't think I was imagining it lol.. I have no idea why its not there now and when I scroll through the menu I cant see it listed. May try a factory reset and see if that sorts it before going back to the dealer.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE, back to dealer this morning and explained the problem, senior technician came out to have a look and couldn't find the SLIF in the menu whilst scrolling down. Took car into garage came back 5 mins later and blamed the software download from KIA to the new camera fitted, unable to get the SLIF back so will raise the issue with KIA and car will need to go back in when KIA get back to him.
Really can't believe the car was given back with this fault on it, the camera only has 4 or 5 functions and 1 of them not working when handed back to me, a really severe level of incompetence on the part of the " technician " I sincerely hope he is more professional when doing brakes or putting wheels back on someone's car.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I had the same problem with my 70 plate Sportage. Went in for a new camera under the warranty , and the only 'issue' I had was they kept it for 2 days, but handed it back with everything working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to make everyone aware as I didn't realise but apparently when you buy a Kia you are at the mercy of your dealership as they are entirely independent of Kia and Kia have no influence or appear unwilling to help if you have any problem.. just recieved this back from customer services after raising an issue with the woeful warranty work carried out at my local dealership.........

Thanks for your recent contact.

We take all customer feedback seriously. Rest assured it’ll be passed onto the relevant department for review. We use customer comments and feedback to continuously improve our brand and the service we offer, and we appreciate the time you’ve taken to email us.

As you may be aware, all our dealers operate as independent businesses, operated by a franchise network. While Kia grants dealerships with a licence to sell Kia products and services, ultimately, they are responsible for their service operations and customer care. Nevertheless, I am sorry that your experience has not met your expectations.

If you do have any concerns regarding the service provided by the repairing dealership, I’d recommend bringing this to the attention of the appropriate manager onsite to allow them the opportunity to address the issues you have raised. If you are unhappy with their response, they will be able to tell you details of their internal complaints process.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please get in touch via email or phone .

This is all good and well if you have a few Kia dealerships close by to choose from but if like me they are few and far between it may make you think twice !

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just to make everyone aware as I didn't realise but apparently when you buy a Kia you are at the mercy of your dealership as they are entirely independent of Kia and Kia have no influence or appear unwilling to help if you have any problem.. just recieved this back from customer services after raising an issue with the woeful warranty work carried out at my local dealership.........

Thanks for your recent contact.

We take all customer feedback seriously. Rest assured it’ll be passed onto the relevant department for review. We use customer comments and feedback to continuously improve our brand and the service we offer, and we appreciate the time you’ve taken to email us.

As you may be aware, all our dealers operate as independent businesses, operated by a franchise network. While Kia grants dealerships with a licence to sell Kia products and services, ultimately, they are responsible for their service operations and customer care. Nevertheless, I am sorry that your experience has not met your expectations.

If you do have any concerns regarding the service provided by the repairing dealership, I’d recommend bringing this to the attention of the appropriate manager onsite to allow them the opportunity to address the issues you have raised. If you are unhappy with their response, they will be able to tell you details of their internal complaints process.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please get in touch via email or phone .

This is all good and well if you have a few Kia dealerships close by to choose from but if like me they are few and far between it may make you think twice !
Kia are no different to the majority of car dealerships who operate under a franchise partnership with the manufacturer. Buy a new Ford, Vauxhall, VW, etc are you are likely buying it from an independent business, eg Evans Halshaw, Arnold Clark etc, in fact a search on Google suggests there are some 13,018 car dealers in the UK.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes you are correct but the point I was making was their response to a customer issue was to completely dismiss it and tell you that basically you didn't buy the car from them and you are in your own now.... I did expect Kia who propose to be very very customer focused to at least be willing to investigate and if necessary intervene or put pressure on the " independent dealer " which by the way carries their name... probably to give you the ( mistakenly) impression that you are dealing with Kia when buying a brand new car.
I'm sure many many Kia owners are under the impression that when they buy a new Kia from a Kia showroom with Kia in its name then Kia have something to do with the purchase other than building the car.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Its an extremely fair point you raise.

I had exactly the same letter (to the word) when I contacted them regarding a big service that was not undertaken but charged for and had a similar experience at a different dealer the previous year.

You would like to think that they had some obligation to ensure that the dealer was taken to task for malpractice.

·
Super Moderator
6,187 Posts
If you want a Kia garage then head to Kia Bolton. It is the only one owned by Kia.

Kia are correct in many ways. Your Consumer rights are with the dealer, not the brand. Only if it is a warranty issue will Kia get more involved as that is their responsibility.

Only thing Kia could do is put pressure on the franchise holder & threaten to remove their right to sell Kia. But with so many other brands out there. It is not much of a threat.

Other option is to vote with your feet & go to another dealer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is a warranty issue... and Kia are washing their hands of it as per my quote earlier from Kia Customer Services. In my opinion when you buy a car from Kia its THEM who are giving you the warranty peace of mind for 7 years, if you then go to a dealer and they mess up the repair as in this case then Kia should intervene and get it sorted. Kia supply the warranty not the dealer therefore they need to make sure work is carried out in a professional manner... in my opinion anyway.

·
Super Moderator
6,187 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.. yes I didn't think I was imagining it lol.. I have no idea why its not there now and when I scroll through the menu I cant see it listed. May try a factory reset and see if that sorts it before going back to the dealer.

Sorry to back to this.
When you say menu, which are you talking about?
Steering wheel or Infotainment unit

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The TFT display between speedo & rev counter

Reactions: iooi

·
Super Moderator
6,187 Posts
The TFT display between speedo & rev counter
Thanks.
Wonder if they have put the wrong software on.
As not every level will have it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's what I've been told, dealer blaming Kia but what irks me is the camera only performs 4 functions and it was handed back to me with one not working saying it was all working fine and had been checked and tested. It's either absolute incompetence or dealer knew it was like that and hoped I didn't notice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts