Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Our Kia is only 18 months old and after a trouble free year and a bit we are now getting terrible MPG. We were averaging 55 to 68 MPG then this winter the MPG is about 28 to 33. The vehicle went back to the dealer this week and they told us it needed a software upgrade, which they did (I think) We are still getting very low MPG. I reset have the display and we do not drive like a F1 driver. Also where we are the weather has so far been mild, we do not use the electrically heated seats or the heated steering wheel.

Any ideas before I take the vehicle back to the dealer (again)

Thanks

·
Registered
Niro DL, 2020, KIA Connect
151 Posts
At moment I have the same experience, but I'm riding short distances and it is cold ... the ICE does not get warm. If I can ride more than 20 km my Niro HEV reaches 50 MPG. Yes, we have now winter!

·
Registered
2020 Niro "2" HEV
132 Posts
I have the Niro "2" HEV, and during the summer I was getting fuel consumption in the mid fifties. Now that the colder weather is here, I am lucky to get 48-50 mpg. The petrol engine is being used to heat the cabin and keep the windows mist-free!

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts
Hi
Our Kia is only 18 months old and after a trouble free year and a bit we are now getting terrible MPG. We were averaging 55 to 68 MPG then this winter the MPG is about 28 to 33. The vehicle went back to the dealer this week and they told us it needed a software upgrade, which they did (I think) We are still getting very low MPG. I reset have the display and we do not drive like a F1 driver. Also where we are the weather has so far been mild, we do not use the electrically heated seats or the heated steering wheel.

Thanks
What sort of driving do you do?
As clearly at this time of year if you have AC on then ICE will be running no matter what.
As above posters have said, Kia's are slow to warm up. I can easily go 5 miles before normal level is reached. And you are carrying all that extra weight of a motor/batteries.
I know mine is a Stonic, but I have to do 10+ miles to get anything over 20 MPG at this time of year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi

Thanks
To get round this problem of the ICE running all the time (even high revs at traffic lights!) which totally negates the point of EV's, we DO use the heated seats/steering wheel and switch off the cabin heater/AC as soon as the windows are clear. I think these systems (including the rear window/mirrors heat) run off the small 12v battery which obviously isn't being charged if the engine is off but our '19 PHEV recharges it from the main battery while the car is parked. It tells us that next time we turn it on anyway.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
To get round this problem of the ICE running all the time (even high revs at traffic lights!) which totally negates the point of EV's, we DO use the heated seats/steering wheel and switch off the cabin heater/AC as soon as the windows are clear. I think these systems (including the rear window/mirrors heat) run off the small 12v battery which obviously isn't being charged if the engine is off but our '19 PHEV recharges it from the main battery while the car is parked. It tells us that next time we turn it on anyway.
Car 12v batteries don't do anything other than start the car, once the engine is running the alternator takes over and powers all the cars functions.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
Xceed phev
103 Posts
Car 12v batteries don't do anything other than start the car, once the engine is running the alternator takes over and powers all the cars functions.
Had Niro Hybrid
Hi

Thanks
Had Niro 4 Hybrid for 3yrs. Summer 52~62mpg and winter 45~47mpg. Keep heating around 19~22C. I usually turn off Aircon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In a conventional car yes, true, but if running in EV mode with the ICE off, is the alternator turning? I don't exactly know how the auxiliary circuits are powered. Maybe the alt is driven from the gearbox so it charges all the time whichever motor is driving the car. Does anyone know?

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
In a conventional car yes, true, but if running in EV mode with the ICE off, is the alternator turning? I don't exactly know how the auxiliary circuits are powered. Maybe the alt is driven from the gearbox so it charges all the time whichever motor is driving the car. Does anyone know?
I would assume that when the ICE isn't running all your functions are powered by the main battery, I don't believe the 12v battery would be capable of functioning for any length of time powering all the cars functions. I am sure somebody will confirm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would assume that when the ICE isn't running all your functions are powered by the main battery, I don't believe the 12v battery would be capable of functioning for any length of time powering all the cars functions. I am sure somebody will confirm.
Just checked and the alt is driven by the ICE serpentine belt as normal. I agree there is no way that small 12v battery would power all the functions for 30+ miles so it must be the main battery supplying the power (and reducing the range in EV of course) and charging the 12v battery. I often get a message stating that the 12v battery was topped up while parked....reassuring to anyone who has been stranded with a flat battery in the past!

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts
Just checked and the alt is driven by the ICE serpentine belt as normal. I agree there is no way that small 12v battery would power all the functions for 30+ miles so it must be the main battery supplying the power (and reducing the range in EV of course) and charging the 12v battery. I often get a message stating that the 12v battery was topped up while parked....reassuring to anyone who has been stranded with a flat battery in the past!
But a HEV does not have a 30 mile EV range.

A side issue?
When running on EV power only, is the ICE engine totally disconnected or is the likes of the alternator still turning?
Also regen braking, does that also feed the 12V battery?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I can only speak of the current HEV, but as far as I can see the ICE is running all the time, but when running on EV is only ticking over. Therefore the alternator will always be turning and charging the 12v side.

My understanding is that the regenerative braking only charges the traction batteries.

And I reckon the current HEV does have about 30 mile range. Driven carefully I can go quite a long way just on EV.

I keep meaning to plug in my OBD reader and after linking to my phone, see what is going on with various functions using the Torque (Lite) app

·
Registered
151 Posts
The HEV does not have an alternator, it has a HSG (Hybride Start Generator), powerd by the HV battery.
The 12V battery is only for basic functions and to connect the HV battery to the e-drive.
The HSG starts the ICE:

Reactions: iooi

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts
And I reckon the current HEV does have about 30 mile range. Driven carefully I can go quite a long way just on EV.

I keep meaning to plug in my OBD reader and after linking to my phone, see what is going on with various functions using the Torque (Lite) app
So a PHEV with a 8.9 kWh battery has a Kia quoted EV range of 30 ish miles, real world seems to be mid 20's.
Best I can find for HEV is 1.56 kWh battery size.
So can not really see how (love to be proved wrong) a 30 mile EV only range is possible, as clearly the ICE must be kicking in to recharge the battery. Which is not giving a true EV only range. As it should be from start to the battery is depleted and needs recharging.

Would be really interested to see what real world HEV EV only range is. As HEV/PHEV is about the only Kia I would look at switching too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The HEV is not constructed to drive as e-car, it is constructed to drive as economical as it can. Therefore the ICE is working with the Atkinson principle. The e-motor supports the ICE so that the ICE can run in his optimal area. A little advantage is, that the stored energy (recuperated or from the HSG) can be used for up to 3 km electric driving. The battery capacity is kept between 40% and 75% (sometimes till 90%). During constant driving e.g. 60 miles it switches often between e-motor and ICE, sometimes I notice it only, if I look at the consumption display ...
I like driving my HEV!

Reactions: iooi

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts
The HEV is not constructed to drive as e-car, it is constructed to drive as economical as it can. Therefore the ICE is working with the Atkinson principle. The e-motor supports the ICE so that the ICE can run in his optimal area. A little advantage is, that the stored energy (recuperated or from the HSG) can be used for up to 3 km electric driving. The battery capacity is kept between 40% and 75% (sometimes till 90%). During constant driving e.g. 60 miles it switches often between e-motor and ICE, sometimes I notice it only, if I look at the consumption display ...
I like driving my HEV!

So in effect there is no way to say a HEV will/may do x miles in EV from the charge, unlike a PHEV or EV.
In reality totally different beasts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, the PHEV has the advantage if you have to drive only short distances, where you can use the battery and can load it afterwards, on work or at home.
It depends very strong on your driving profile. At moment here in NL it is cold roundabout 0 degree celsius and in the week I drive less than 5 km, so my MPG is at moment between 35 and 45. Last weekend I drove 35km with MPG 56 ... and last summer I reached MPG 66 ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
At moment here in NL it is cold roundabout 0 degree celsius and in the week I drive less than 5 km, so my MPG is at moment between 35 and 45. Last weekend I drove 35km with MPG 56 ... and last summer I reached MPG 66 ...
Gerd, I am also in NL and although Niro is one of the best sellers on the market, there are quite a few PHEVs - a lot of HEVs and some EVs. Why is it - about the weather, the lack of heat pump in the Niro PHEV is causing all drivers to prefer Niro HEV as it is cold most of the year and even you are in the PHEV you should drive it in "HEV mode" to have the heat from the engine?
I am just curious, because I imported Niro PHEV here and in a mile radius on the streets are parked at least 10 Niro HEVs, 2 Niro EVs and no PHEVs around. I am not sure if I ever seen Niro PHEV in the Hague region....

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts
Gerd, I am also in NL and although Niro is one of the best sellers on the market, there are quite a few PHEVs - a lot of HEVs and some EVs. Why is it - about the weather, the lack of heat pump in the Niro PHEV is causing all drivers to prefer Niro HEV as it is cold most of the year and even you are in the PHEV you should drive it in "HEV mode" to have the heat from the engine?
I am just curious, because I imported Niro PHEV here and in a mile radius on the streets are parked at least 10 Niro HEVs, 2 Niro EVs and no PHEVs around. I am not sure if I ever seen Niro PHEV in the Hague region....
Even if a PHEV kicks the ICE in to warm the car in winter. It is still going to give better MPG than a HEV as you have a bigger battery and thus once the ICE is warm it should go into EV mode.

Don't know if this would work. But if you put A/C to lowest setting. It might be possible that ICE would kick in less as it would not be required to warm car if outside temp is about the same.. Just use heated seats/steering wheel.
Personally I like a warm car, so will suffer reduced MPG in winter & stay warm.

Biggest thing on a HEV is the length of your trip on cold days. Kia's do not warm the engine fast. 5 mile average for just above zero. So anything less that 10 miles is going to kill your MPG. Nothing wrong with car, just a fact of nature.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My HeV currently averaging 76mpg. However the only time I put the AC on is when it is demisting the windscreen. Winter the mpg does go down but still gets 65+ mpg. In hot weather this year I could get 100+mpg on my drive home from work (12 miles).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.