Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New here and have read a few threads. From what i've read, everyone seems thrilled with the Sportage. Am changing the car this year and first on my list is the Sportage. Test drove it today and loved it but I have a few questions:

1. Steering seemed very light when starting out. It did weight up considerably as i progressed. Does this cause any issues when driving at speed.
  2. Colour I like Sandtrack and they are not too popular around where I live. Does anybody have this colour and is it easy to keep clean/still a head turner.
  3. Fuel consumption: I've read here its about 48 mpg which is fine but how much does it take to fill her up
Any other information on buying would be great. I'm looking at getting the 2 spec, or EX here in Ireland. Am changing from an 03 Ford Focus 1.6l Petrol.

Thank you all so much

·
Registered
65 Posts
you wont be disappointed. i always drove sports hatchbacks and had same doubts about steering but it drives like a limo. i get a lot of positive comments on its looks but even more on the colour which never really looks dirty but always looks classy. plus its a bit exclusive as they only do it on the 2 speck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Unless you are going for the 1.7 you wont get near to 48mpg, knock 10mpg off that

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I took delivery of a 1.7D at the weekend.

Yes the steering feels light, but like a new pair of shoes, you get used to it quite quickly.

Mine was on empty when I got it. (tight dealership). It took £75 to fill it up.

I've done around 350 miles since, the computer is showing an average of 53mpg.

My 26 mile daily journey does consist of 22 miles motorway at a steady 60mph though.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Our 1.7 returns 46 on a 22 mile commute, almost all of it on country lanes and back roads. It rarely gets used on main roads and motorways so I doubt we will get into the 50's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the responses.

Yep going for the 1.7D. Seems the more viable option for me at the minute.

As luck would have it, the local Kia dealer took delivery of a 1.7D EX (2) in Sandtrack this afternoon and it is not sold. Drove it this evening after work and gave it a thorough going over. The light steering is great for parking although the A pillars are quite thick.

Found the drivers door hard to close though. Took a few pulls to get it to catch. Read here it was common enough. Should I mention it to the dealer?

Have to go sweet talk the bank tomorrow. . . . Hopefully could be on the road within the next 2 weeks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,I have the KX2 1.7D in Sand track metallic and highly recommend it for not showing dirt as some other colours do, and when washed & polished (I use Mer) it really looks the business.

I am getting between 42- 47 mpg and have only 4000 miles on clock, so this should improve as I add more miles

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
tomister said:
Found the drivers door hard to close though. Took a few pulls to get it to catch. Read here it was common enough. Should I mention it to the dealer?
I quite like that sandtrack colour but it wasn't available on the 3.
The doors on ours initially had an annoying habit of not shutting properly on the first push. However, nearly six months on, it doesn't seem to be a problem any more.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Was intrigued to see what colour "sand track" is ....try BROWN
my car is Silver (storm)and looks great. colour is a very personal thing I realise but its hilarious the names manufacturers give colours. Many years ago a friend was buying a brand new Ford KA. I was pleased for him and asked what colour is it ? His reply was Belladonna (WTF!!!!)
Turned out to be purple lol

For my 2 penneth worth Silver, Black and White are the way to go for resale...and remember white is fashionable at the minute but was the kiss of death not so long ago..... as for Orange that will date the car very quickly

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
garynic said:
Was intrigued to see what colour "sand track" is ....try BROWN
my car is Silver (storm)and looks great. colour is a very personal thing I realise but its hilarious the names manufacturers give colours.
You aren't kidding. It amazes me how many different names there are for the various shades of metallic grey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tomister go for it. I pick mine up on friday in Silver Strom (or just Silver) Lets hope i get as much enjoyment as i have from the Sorento its replacing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
stuart79 said:
Tomister go for it. I pick mine up on friday in Silver Strom (or just Silver) Lets hope i get as much enjoyment as i have from the Sorento its replacing.
i'm sure you will , i replaced my (black) sorento nov last year with a 2lt sportage kx2 brown (sandtrack)love the car love the colour,last 2 cars have been black(black),dont like white(white)(personal opinion)or grey
(silver).guy on my street got byte blue (blue).did'nt fancy orange so brown it was!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stuart79 said:

Will know on Monday or Tuesday if my finance is approved. If that gets sorted, I'll be cruising around in the Sportage by Friday lunchtime according to the dealer.

Thanks to all for the feedback. Fingers crossed!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got Machine Silver as I have kids who are always scratching the paint work and silver hides these best. But in a showroom recently I've seenSirius Silver and it looks fantastic. Wish I had have opted for it, but from thebrochure it did not look that good.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My First Edition is Sirius Silver. It can look almost gold in some lights and grey in others!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Leave Kia alone, buy a nissan or some other model. Nice car until you have a warranty issue, they don't want to know ,not even on a 1 year old car, so much for the remaining 6 yrs warranty.
Fuel consumption on a 2.0 diesel 30mpg max. can go as low as 12mpg if towing into the wind.
Take my word, do some homework before buying an expensive overpriced far eastern makers car.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Sorry Mr Unhappy. i'm getting tired now . . .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.