Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just collected my new Tempest,and am really surprised (and happy) to find it has a Tiptronic auto box. Is this standard? as I didnt think Kia were offering a Tiptronic.

·
Registered
118 Posts
any chance of some pics of the interior, i have mine on order but haven't seen the inside of tempest just a soul 2

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was parked next to a 60 plate Tempest CRDI on Monday (only1 I've seen on the road) and it deffo had the full auto box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try and send some pics tomorrow.
Mine has got black and dark red leather with red stitching......looks awesome

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Taffy 49

We got ours last week. It is a full auto but you can (by pushing the gear stick right- (towards you) go into a triptronic mode - great for changin up or down for hills, overtaking etc and overiding the auto. So simple and so effective . You will love it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Errrr. no I won't. As stated, it's a "semi auto" which means you have the option of both. I've driven both versions over the years without going into detail, I had the internal clutch go on a 3.5 y/o car (54 plate) with the semi and not trusted them since - cost me £750. My present C4 has the semi auto box even tho I was told it had the full auto. The semi auto is being used by the majority of makers these daysand getting hard to find one with a full auto. The semi box has come on leaps & bounds tho but gimme the full auto any day.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry to disappoint, when I had test drive the KIA guy told me the my11 has tiptronic and you can change gear as you please.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No probs, cheers both - only wish the dealer told me. They didn't have a Tempest to test drive - only the "2". Like I said, many dealers haven't a clue between the two. Was hoping for a change to a full auto but hey ho - still can't wait.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

My daughter has Soul 2 MY11 and and we have Tempest MY11 - bothhave the same Auto system.

It is a full full auto (not like a CVT or clutchless manual) PLUSthe tiptronic facility. With that you move from drive - D - by pulling the lever right . You can than change up one gearby pushing the lever forward (it returns to centre) or change down by pulling the lever backwards. If you don't want to use that just drive it in the default Auto mode. Either way its great!

We have just changed from a Honda CRV EXlatest shape, 57plate,full auto andI find theSoul a better drive.

The Honda had

P

R

N

D

Soul Has

P

R

N

D - +1GEAR -1 GEAR

Hope thats helpful

·
Registered
887 Posts
Kia currently only offer full auto boxes.
The 'tiptronic' function is simply to allow manual ratio selection and hold if required, they have taken away the 3,2,1 straight line selection, and opted for the more modern appearence on the +/- shift pattern.
It's just a switch pack, box is same old relaible full auto.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts