Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys this for all you technophobes out there. I've seen a lot of posts about Android Auto and AppleCarPlay on this forum over the years, now bearing in mind I'm beyond my
three score and ten, I have a few questions:
1.What is it
2.What does it do
3.Have I got it
4.Can I possibly live without it
Car is MY2019 GTLine Gdi 1.6
Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
210 Posts
I use android auto. It allows you to display and use Google maps on the main screen.
You can also use various apps. For instance Waze, BBC Sounds, Spotify, check weather and lots more.
Your car should have it. You would have to download the app to your phone and connect via USB using a cable.
As for needing it. That's your choice if you are happy with the current setup in your car then no.

Reactions: kia62

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
My answers are based on Android Auto, but Apple Carplay does the same things (I think)
1. What is it?
In effect it turns your media screen in to a version of your smart phone.
2.What does it do?
This allows you to access certain apps through your media screen, for example Google Maps, Waze, BBC Sounds, Spotify etc. It also allows you to see incoming messages and make phone calls and it allows you to talk to the car using Google Assistant. So far example you can ask it to take you to John Doe's or you nearest Macdonald's and it will set the rout on maps and guide you there. There is more stuff, but without meaning to be rude, the t'internet is full of sites extolling it's virtues.
3. Have you got it?
Yes. With Android Auto, you have to download the app onto your phone, connect your phone (via a cable) to your car and then set up the app. I assume Apple Carplay is the same.
4. Can you live without it?
Depends on how fixated/dependent/glued you are to the phone. I don't use it, simply because I think there is enough distractions in life without have them happen while I drive, and here I will get stick from the Kia Sat Nav haters, but I find the in built Sat Nav satisfies my needs. I might start using it when they find a way to allow you to switch on the wipers or signal left/right with voice commands.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Can I possibly live without it?
The short answer is yes, 'kia62'.

I rather think you meant 'technophiles' when you typed 'technophobes' and I am sure one will be along shortly, better equipped than me, to provide a full explanation of the systems.

Your age is irrelevant and I think there are several readers of these pages for whom, like me, the 'three score and ten' year mark is now a distant memory. Nonetheless, those of us who have made use of ACP or AA are able to enjoy the connectivity provided by our smart phones, much of it replicated on the screen of the infotainment unit.

In particular, I like the text messaging and 'Whatsapp' services which permit me to both hear new messages as they arrive and to respond, all by voice command, in my case, 'Siri'. Additionally, if I want to, I can utilise Apple Maps or Waze instead of the integrated 'Here' navigation system.

As others are far more au fait with this modern tech, I shall let someone else provide chapter and verse for you. All I would add is that when I was younger, some of the things that we take for granted today could only be dreamed about in the 20th century. I recommend you get with the programme and avail yourself of this new-fangled technology.(y):D

Reactions: kia62

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I will get stick from the Kia Sat Nav haters, but I find the in built Sat Nav satisfies my needs.
Ditto that from me, although I do use one of the others from time to time, just for a change and to ensure they remain functional.

I love being able to respond to messages just by using voice commands which work well on my Optima.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to give the Apple Carplay perspective, I use it to choose music stored on my phone either by voice command or via the display. I also use it to access Apple Maps. I've no problem with the car's sat-nav but Apple Maps lets you share your route with anyone in your phonebook so it automatically sends texts to whoever you want with your expected arrival time.

Apple Carplay is essentially a stripped down version of the Iphone screen but the apps you can use are restricted to essentially media, comms and navigation. To get the best experience, you need an Iphone that can run the latest iOS so (I think) an Iphone 6 or newer. It'll work with older iOS phones but the graphics on the dash display will be less refined (apparently).

You can turn Android Auto or Apple Carplay on or off via the car's touch display. You would likely just turn the one on corresponding to the phone you own and to use either, the phone must be connected to the car via a cable. Doing this will disable Bluetooth so bear that in mind if you currently rely on that for phonecalls.

My wife has an Android phone and I have an Iphone but I have Apple Carplay only activated in my car. When she is in the car alone, her phone is paired via Bluetooth which she's happy with.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all you replies, it would seem that I'm the technophobe! but I did manage to transfer CDs to a memory stick (don't ask how) and play it in the car, and that's all I do. I load my fishing gear, start up, the stick never come out, so it starts playing and off I go. When the songs get to the end, ZZ TOP, it goes back to the beginning, ABBA, I do use the satnav on very odd occasions, tried the DAB radio, crap constantly drops out. So the answer is then, Yes, I can live without it. Having said all that I do admire the people that use the car to its full extent.

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
633 Posts
As CarPlay and Android auto apps relate to to usage with mobile phones I didn’t notice you say if you have a phone to use,if you manage as you are doing your ok👍👍👍,,,,,,,,,,,,apart from listening to ABBA😎😎😎😎😎personally I find the Apple app/with phone very handy for playing music,speed camera warnings/locations,petrol station locations/prices ,sending/receiving texts hands free, answering/calling phone hands free etc etc etc,from a fellow 3score + ten and I enjoy my fishing😊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.