Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm new to this forum and firstly wanted to say how imformative you have made this forum.

I am considering buying a diesel sedona at around 2000 to 2003 registration andask foryour collective thoughts on whether I should go for the older TDi model or as I have seen on honestjohns forum a Common Fail Diesel (CRDi). I have read all the previous threads on the scary prices if your high pressure fuel pump goes on a CRDi even to the point of replacing injectors, rail and flushing the fuel tank. Would this still happen with an old mechanical fuel pump (TDi) and what are the costs?

I know the performance is not as good on the older model and apparently the older models have oil pump and turbo problems, can you shed any light on this.

Obviously I would like it to be the cheaper option if things went bad and not write the car off because of a fuel pump.

Also does the sedona have a solid or dual mass flywheel (DMF)?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Answer to your question is to buy the newest possible vehicle you can afford look to put a warranty on the car that will cover injectors and pump, if possible get the car inspected by a kia dealer first and ask then to check the pump pressures on the GDS laptop, also make sure the car has a good service history with reciepts showing the parts changed at relevent service intervals
something most people do not realise is that the pump and injectors arecoverd on a fully comp insurance policy if you mistakenly fill the car with petrol and this damages the pump and injectors

which is the usual problem

never use Bio diesel try and stay away from supermarket fuels especialy if in france

hope this helps

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting the comment about French supermarket diesel. I've done two long ( 2000miles ) caravan tours to France in 2008 & 2009. My first signs of fuel pump trouble began in Aug 2008 after I came back from France. Initially it was just a flickering ECU light on heavy load. Then last year on the second trip it manifested itself into ECU light if pushed about 50mph.

I've never touched bio diesel....but thought it had better lube qualities. I thought its big problem was viscosity especially in cold whether putting too much load on the pump. However in mid summer France ambients, I thought a 5%<>10% mix of bio (which is standard ) would not be a problem.

Because of my encountered problems with fuel systems, I ONLY use Shell V-Power diesel now.

So its interesting to know what is the specific problem with supermarket diesel ...and the French supermarket diesel.

Re the other poster's points, the Sedonka MkI/II does NOT have a DMF...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Whats the difference between Shell diesel and the V-power diesel they sell apart from the cost of course.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd google it TBH. I was sold on the cleaner burning aspect i.e. I'd get less problems with crud in the intake system due to the EGR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts