Kia Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know there’s a number of complaints about the ‘dark band’, but can’t say I’ve noticed it myself.
And I certainly don’t have the problem you describe with auto headlights. I would get the dealer to check out whether there is a fault. It should be detecting tail lights ahead and maintaining dipped beam accordingly
Thanks for the reply, apologies for delay in getting back, I'm sure I used to get a notification when someone replied to a post but I don't remember getting one.

I will pay the dealer a visit and ask him to have a look.

Cheers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just wondering if there has been any update or solution to this issue?

Have to admit that I am now becoming annoyed at this black band which is very much an impairment of the drivers visibility when driving on full beam.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Just wondering if there has been any update or solution to this issue?

Although I'm happy to acknowledge that the headlamp main beam is spoiled by the appearance of a dark band, only particularly noticeable when driving way out in the sticks on windy (nothing to do with strong airflow!) roads with zero lighting, I feel that the issue has been blown out of proportion, somewhat.

Perhaps some drivers spend a high percentage of their motoring time in the countryside at night with no street lighting but I reckon no more than 5-10% of my driving falls into that category. That being the case, while a little annoying, it's hardly a major problem for me and the available illumination from the LED lamps is still a big improvement on many headlamps from just a couple of decades ago.

During the hours of darkness, in urban areas with lots of ambient light, or on major roads with lots of traffic, the problem isn't noticeable so I'd guess that for many drivers, the main beam shadow isn't really an issue.

It would be nice if KIA acknowledged that there is a problem though and provided a free fix but that seems most unlikely now, certainly in the case of those Optima models which will no longer be imported into the UK, if available anywhere, come to that.

According to something I read, LED lighting seems to be the greenest lighting source available and offers better longevity than other forms of vehicle lighting so I suspect that we shall see increasing use of them in future. My favourite system was an OE Bi-Xenon equipped BMW from 2004 and I wish my Sportswagon had those.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Found this upload on Youtube commenting on the "2019/2020" model in US with specific focus on the auto high beam function. Not sure whether this is the same as the latest UK model, but the reason for posting the footage is to see whether anyone else thinks that the "dark band" issue is not evident.

I know its difficult to assess, but it did seem okay to me which would pose the question, has it been sorted out now in the States, and if so, can Europe also have this fix please?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I know its difficult to assess, but it did seem okay to me
I'm inclined to agree with you, 'Tommo21', but I think it's highly unlikely that we UK owners will benefit from any fix or modification that might have been introduced in the USA, being as the Sportswagon is at the end of it's short incarnation in the UK market anyway.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Car in for first service today. Dealer is making enquiries with Kia to see if there is a "fix".

Will post further if there is anything to report.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Car in for first service today. Dealer is making enquiries with Kia to see if there is a "fix".

Will post further if there is anything to report.
Car in with Kia Allington yesterday for a headlight beam synchronisation fix.

Apparently this is not a TSB fix but based on advisory from Kia Technical dept involving a software tweak I believe.

Haven't had an opportunity to test the outcome myself but the Allington technician is perfectly happy with the result. As he was testing in the MOT bay, I have every reason to believe that this may have solved the issue.

So Rod 9669 may have just been a tad premature moving on to a Tucson :):)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have every reason to believe that this may have solved the issue.
Although the light output from my LED headlamps isn't perfect, I can live with it as it is. Keep us posted please, 'Tommo21', with your impressions and whether it is worth a trip to the dealer. If it is indeed the subject of a technical bulletin from KIA UK, then all dealers should be aware.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Apparently this is not a TSB fix but based on advisory from Kia Technical dept involving a software tweak I believe.

Haven't had an opportunity to test the outcome myself but the Allington technician is perfectly happy with the result. As he was testing in the MOT bay, I have every reason to believe that this may have solved the issue.

My 2 year lease was up - it had 53k miles on it. Went to auction - wish I knew how much it went for, probably under 10k

I was told that I wasn't having another estate and to get another SUV - SWMBO was fed up of her short arms not being able to open the door fully and it coming back and twating her on the leg o_O

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for this Kenny - exactly the sort of thing I was looking for

They are trying to get a dealer to take photos similar to mine to compare them - I have told them that depending what these photos look like I will either go to DVSA or the motoring press - not heard anything since last Friday

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of yours once they are fixed so that I can show them that it can be adjusted, just not using the standard method. I tried adjusting the lights myself but it all seemed to move as one unit. If you could take a photo of where they've "shimmed" it that would be greatly appreciated - I'll probably do that myself as my dealer don't have what I would call a workshop
Only had mine a week now 2019 sportwagon, as you say main beam spoting planes in the sky. Managed to adjust the unit down where itS nearly ok ,but low bean low . Thinking of loosing the bolts off and trying to get head light unit down the adjust low beam up.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Have now tested the dealer "fix" and it is now perfect. Synchronised beams and no dark bands anymore. Well done Kia Allingtons!!

Anyone else with the same problem might well like to contact their own dealer to get a resolution

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Annoys me that 2 years later tey've acknowledged there was a problem - there was nothing wrong with them I was told by Kia

·
Registered
223 Posts
Funny thing was that when I mentioned it to the Workshop controller at Allingtons, she had heard all about the issue from her own reading and made out a job card straightaway, without questioning my word, to contact Kia Technical for instructions and approval for a fix under warranty. I have to say that I was very impressed with the product knowledge of this person and wonder whether at the end of the day resistance to acknowledge problems is down to a lack of training for the front line staff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick up-date

Brought this up with Kia UK on twitter, the said to take it back to dealer. Dealer sent Kia UK these photos and a video ant they reckon it's OK

Now - can anyone else take photos to

1 - confirm that theirs is the same so therefore it's a design issue

2 - theirs is ok so a manufacturing problem on mine

Thanks in advance - will be tackling Kia UK on Monday
My 2019 optima sportwagon is the same, adjusted main beam down to stop spotting airplanes, now dipped beam far to low even on its 0 setting. Booked it in for 6/1/20 not holding much hope.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2019 optima sportwagon is the same, adjusted main beam down to stop spotting airplanes, now dipped beam far to low even on its 0 setting. Booked it in for 6/1/20 not holding much hope.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update for headlights ,after getting the lights somewhere near ok, i took it to dealers as it was booked in .They set the head lights ,tried them at night worse than ever. Made two 6mm thick plastic washers and fitted under the outside screws on each head light that hold the head lights in. Readjusted and now 95% good.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts