Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
You'd only be able to fix the problem if there are separate vertical adjusters for both mains and dips. On my Hyundai i30 there is just one vertical adjuster per main/dip unit which moves both main AND dip beams in sync. All this does is move the problem, it doesn't resolve it.

Two weeks now and the Hyundai dealer still hasn't come back me regarding my claim for the lighting units to be replaced under warranty. I'll be calling him tomorrow..... ˜ 

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry - though I'd updated this

Had this reply from VOSA in the UK - I have included my response. Perhaps if we all complained through them we might get somewhere?

The purpose of any assessment carried out within the terms of the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety Defects (the Code), which has the support of the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 (as amended), is to establish if the defect isa failure due to design and/or construction, which is likely to affect the safe operation of the product without prior warning to the user and may pose a significant risk to the driver, occupants and others. This defect will be common to a number of products that have been sold for use in the United Kingdom.Additionally, when investigating concerns, the Vehicle Safety Branch (VSB) have as a base line that the vehicle is being serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations and that the Highway Code is being adhered to.The headlamps have been tested and they meet the necessary legal requirements. There have been no other complaints and the concern does not meet the definition of a safety defect as defined within the terms of the Code of Practice in that there is no failure.As such, on this occasion, no further action will be taken.Thank you for responding to this and apologies for the delay in my coming back to you<div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">

<div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">You state thatThe headlamps have been tested and they meet the necessary legal requirements-can you please advise how this testing was doneand whether it was done in the conditions stated in my initial query, if it was done by VOSA or KIA and wha research has been conducted that concludesThere have been no other complaintsas this is contrary to my experience, not only with KIA but it's sister company Hyundai, all with LED lights in the UK - may I point you in the direction of an user forum

<div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
My local Hyundai dealer replaced both led headlamp units in my i30 under warranty. I did have to chat to Hyundai's technical team and send them images of the headlamp misalignment problem but once they saw the evidence they gave approval immediately.

The new units still don't have separate adjusters for mains and dips, but the mains now point to where they should.

Hyundai knew about this problem, apparently, but didn't issue any info to their dealerships. I'd suggest that you chase KCS in the same way.

The comment that there have been no complaints is patently untrue. I had made a complaint, which was acted upon, and there is a case of a complaint by an Australian Hyundai i30 owner whose main beams were much to low. Unfortunately I have not been able to track down his post on the many Hyundai owner forums (none of which are anything like as good as this one).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks Dave - I've had an automated email that the guy that was dealing with it is away at the moment - I will link him to this thread when he returns

KCS didn't care - been there, tried that which is why I got VOSA involved

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Just realised that the complaint I made was to Hyundai, not VOSA. I'm guessing the Aussie did the same!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello from Finland!

I registered on this forum because I have the same issue with the headlights on my 2017 GT-line SW. Very useful info in this topic!

I bought the car used last week and immediately noticed that the main beams are useless, they just illuminate the trees and do not any range to the dipped beams. I don't see any longer on the road than with dipped beams. The dark band also is clearly visible on the right side. The dipped beams pointed also really high, and other cars were flashing their high beams at me on completely dark countryside roads...

I was able to adjust the dipped beams lower by turning the adjustment screw, and it helped, but doing that only made the problem with main beams more visible.

My car visited KIA Service yesterday but the time slot was not long enough for them to adjust the headlights. I was told that they will have to remove the front bumper, etc.. so maybe they will shim the headlights to make the main beams point lower. I have a new time booked for next week now.

Any updates on his issue since May with any of you?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Issue still exists and are still dangerous in my opinion

Quick question - do yours auto-level? On mine when I start up in the dark I can see the headlights moving up and down and centralising where they think the height of the car is - I don't get any flashing on dipped lights from other drivers

·
Registered
20 Posts
They do auto-level, but apparently not in a correct way because the KIA dealer booked a new time for me to examine the lights more thoroughly next week.

I called the previous owner of the car yesterday, and he was surprised to hear that I had a problem with the headlights. He agreed that the main beams do not really add any range to to the dipped beams, but apparently that was not a problem for him because the dipped beams are powerful.

I guess it depends on where you are coming from – I had a MKIII Octavia with auto-leveling dual xenons earlier and while Optima has definitely more powerful lights, the beam pattern is very strange. Maybe this is usual with LED headlight in general, maybe not, I don't know...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It also depends where you are driving - in urban areas with street lights you wouldn't need main beam anyway - it's just in rural areas (ie West Wales where I live) that it does my head in

·
Registered
20 Posts
Should the headlights auto-level continuously while driving, or just at engine start?

I see movement at start, but not while driving for example over speed bumps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK. I just checked that mine only go up at start and stay there. Maybe the auto-leveling sensor is faulty... On most cars the headlights seem to go first up and then down to their correct level.

·
Registered
519 Posts
OK. I just checked that mine only go up at start and stay there. Maybe the auto-leveling sensor is faulty... On most cars the headlights seem to go first up and then down to their correct level.
That’s how they self level on my Optima at switch on - up and then down

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just to add my twopenneth, I have exactly the same problem as others have mentioned with the dark band it is pretty annoying.

I also want to mention (don't know if it has been mentioned before) but does anyone else have a problem when the headlights are on auto that it turns to main beam even when following another vehicle just a few car lengths ahead?

Again that is not only annoying to me but to the cars/lorries I am following.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just to add my twopenneth, I have exactly the same problem as others have mentioned with the dark band it is pretty annoying.

I also want to mention (don't know if it has been mentioned before) but does anyone else have a problem when the headlights are on auto that it turns to main beam even when following another vehicle just a few car lengths ahead?

Again that is not only annoying to me but to the cars/lorries I am following.
I know there’s a number of complaints about the ‘dark band’, but can’t say I’ve noticed it myself.
And I certainly don’t have the problem you describe with auto headlights. I would get the dealer to check out whether there is a fault. It should be detecting tail lights ahead and maintaining dipped beam accordingly

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Should the headlights auto-level continuously while driving, or just at engine start?

I see movement at start, but not while driving for example over speed bumps.

I have not got nor ever had auto levelling headlights, but it occurs to me that setting beam level only at start seems very unlikely, because if you are parked on a slope the lights will self level to compensate, and stay there for the rest of the journey. I don't think this would be at all helpful.

To those who see self level move to uppermost and stay there - does your driveway or normal parking space slope downwards? What happens if you park facing the other way?

To those who do not see adjustment while driving, I am sure that the levelling response will be damped to avoid the poor thing wearing itself out by continuously attempting to adjust for every bump and hump. Also I have tried moving the manual adjuster on my car while driving and it is impossible to see the movement - can see it when stationary but when moving there is not a visual reference point you can gauge the beams against.

·
Registered
2 Posts
https://youtu.be/at0GMh2HEmA

Another video on a flat surface with the automatic headlight adjustment at the start then high beam on. I reversed for the second part.

As you can see. The dark banding is on the right hand side of the beam just above the cut off line. Doesn’t look much but is a problem. The high beam seems to need lowering a foot or so.

The auto levelling works when the car is stationary. I.e start the car, traffic lights etc.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Update on my first winter with the replaced units on my i30 - the mains are correctly aligned relative to the dips but the light output of the replacement main beams is not really up to scratch. They look rather like halogens competing with the led dips. Still, at least they point in the right direction now.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts