Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had mine a month or so now, enjoying it so far apart from MPG and the headlights

Anyone driven one in the dark? I mean proper dark, not street lit dark?

Mine has a shadow about a foot tall where the dipped beam meets the high beam, along the whole width of the road. I know they are LED lights and are more focused than standard lights but surely this can't be right?

Main dealer pretty useless - they took it to an MOT testing station and put it on their beam alignment and said that it's OK. I got them to line it up on their workshop door and showed them the line position, and the Up / Down adjustment marked on the trim under the bonnet but they think that will adjust the whole light, not just the individual beam

UK spec RHD BTW

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Rod9669 said:
Any thoughts?

Yes 'Rod9669', I know what you are talking about.

I have the same model and overall, I think the lights produce pretty good night-time illumination out in the sticks away from other vehicles and ambient lighting.

There is a shadowy area as you describe but it's a whole lot better than on my previous car, an i40 Tourer with Xenon dips (brilliant) but HD projector bulbs on main beam - the shadowy part on main beam was awful on that model. Even after some adjustment (limited) as the system has dynamic levelling and swivel properties, I could never get it right. The local dealership couldn't improve them at all.

The sad part is that I was driving cars from the first decade of this century with brilliant bi-Xenon lamps so I can't understand how these more modern cars can be signed off by someone as fit for night driving.

The LED system on my SW, although affected in the manner you have described, is much better than my last car so I can live with it. If you can't get used to that factor and don't want to put the vehicle back into the dealer's hands for further examination/adjustment - (there's a day gone!) - then when the next service is due, book the car in primarily for the lights with the due service as a secondary item on the workshop menu.

Edited by: Indalo

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Indalo - by the time it goes in for it's first service it'll probably be about April, so the nights should be getting shorter.

I'm going to mark their current position and have a go on a dark night at adjusting them myself

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Managed to get pictures which show the issuequite well. Imagine that black line bouncing up and down in front of you when you're driving along

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick up-date

Brought this up with Kia UK on twitter, the said to take it back to dealer. Dealer sent Kia UK these photos and a video ant they reckon it's OK

Now - can anyone else take photos to

1 - confirm that theirs is the same so therefore it's a design issue

2 - theirs is ok so a manufacturing problem on mine

Thanks in advance - will be tackling Kia UK on Monday

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Rod 9669,
I have had the exact same problem of noticing an offputting black band when the main or hi-beam comes on. I live in the New Forest and do a reasonable amount of night driving in the pitch black. I too took mine back and was taken into the workshop where the tech showed me thedipped beam being spot on the setup line. Heexpalined there is no adjustement for the high beam. Now dont try this yourself but I had the misfortune to hit a patch of spilt diesel entering my road a slow impact at approx 10mph into a sodden mud bank on my front near side made a mess of my front bumber below the lights. A rather expensive rebuild of the frontwas the result and the car was off the road for ages waiting for apollycarbon panel that had to come from Korea anyhowmy front lights are now perfect I havethe smallest overlap between the hi and low beam and no offputting blacktickshaped patch.
The issue appears to have been fixed on mine by the units obviously having to have been removed and refitted probably onlycausing the hi beam to be angled lower by a degree or two but enough to resolve the one small gripe I had about the car I am still loving it and although it has to go back in to have all the radar recalibrated afterthe repair it's great.
My dealer saidwhen I originally moaned about the lights that they only have calibration for the low beam which is aUK legal requirement the hi beam can quite happily blind piolets in aircraft as they point skyward.
You could ask them to remove and refit them as the issue is the hi beam is to hi and needs to aim a little lower (tell them to insert a washer on the lower fixings) the low beam can then be tweaked to the legal requirement and the issue will hopefully be resolved it may cost you a couple of hours of labour but it could be well worth it.

Good Luck Kind regards - Kenny

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for this Kenny - exactly the sort of thing I was looking for

They are trying to get a dealer to take photos similar to mine to compare them - I have told them that depending what these photos look like I will either go to DVSA or the motoring press - not heard anything since last Friday

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of yours once they are fixed so that I can show them that it can be adjusted, just not using the standard method. I tried adjusting the lights myself but it all seemed to move as one unit. If you could take a photo of where they've "shimmed" it that would be greatly appreciated - I'll probably do that myself as my dealer don't have what I would call a workshop

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rod9669 said:
Thanks for this Kenny - exactly the sort of thing I was looking for

They are trying to get a dealer to take photos similar to mine to compare them - I have told them that depending what these photos look like I will either go to DVSA or the motoring press - not heard anything since last Friday

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of yours once they are fixed so that I can show them that it can be adjusted, just not using the standard method. I tried adjusting the lights myself but it all seemed to move as one unit. If you could take a photo of where they've "shimmed" it that would be greatly appreciated - I'll probably do that myself as my dealer don't have what I would call a workshop
Hi ROD, I am not saying mine has been shimmed, the front end has been rebuilt new front bumber etc. which has improved the headlights it was my opinion that the high beam was set too high when I bougt the car and returned it to the dealer to have them checked and I gotthe same responseyou did it was set up to the legal requirement. Since the accidentand front end rebuild I do not appear to have the area of no ilumination.
My car is being dropped back tonight for the RADAR to be set up as it has significantly changed andthus most of the features are not usuable such as the adaptive cruise control. I am hoping it will be back tomorrow night and so I hope I will be able to get some pictures for you of the main beam pattern over the weekend. I do not have any before pics so I wont be able to do a direct comparison.
Good luck at getting it resolved

Kind regards Kenny

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I've just swapped my Cee'd for a Hyundai i30 and this has the same issue regarding the led headlights. I drove it in the dark for the first time yesterday and there was the black shadow. In fact it's more than a shadow; the light control of these led lights is so precise that it's pitch black between the dipped and the main beam. Worse, it is only on the right half of the beam (just where the oncoming traffic to) as the left half is filled in by the raised portion of the dipped beam. It's extremely off-putting and spoils an otherwise great car.

It's going in to the dealer for him to sort out (I hope!) on Tuesday. I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if it's because it's a right hand drive - the headlight units, I assume, would be different on LHD cars.

TBH I only notice it on dark narrow lanes when it is really distracting and off-putting - luckily most of my night-time driving is on dual carriageways

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
My Hyundai i30 has the same led headlights and, currently, has the same problem. Took it to the Hyundai dealership last Tuesday and was unsuccessful in curing the problem. However, their customer service girlie called on Friday to see if I was satisfied. When I said I wasn't she gave me the Hyundai Customer Service number and they were very helpful. Today I received an email from them saying they have been in touch with the dealership, telling them to claim on my warranty on my behalf, as they have modified units in stock to specifically cure this problem.

Why not pass the Optima light problem back to KCS - it is clearly not right and is probably a design fault.

Feel free to refer to my experience both regarding led lights and the fact that hyundai have a solution (apparently).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have had discussions with KCS - they have said that there's nothing wrong!

Any chance you could take before and after photos of your Hyundai please?

·
Registered
82 Posts
So I had the front of my car rebuilt and the problem appears better the right hand dipped beam had been adjusted a tad high that apparently masked the problem an inbalance on the two low beams had me take the car back for teh headlights to be checked and they adjusted them to be spot on again. Result the black unlit zone is back but not quite as bad as before. I agree this is distracting but I do not think it to be necessarily dangerous and the gap is certainly not as bad as before the front end rebuild. I have also noticed that on certain roads that undualte up and down the gap can increase and even disappear as the angle of the car changes, so the self leveling lights appear to be constantly self adjusting, I am not sure if they move left and right on turning or if some other mechanism comes into play but I noticed that right hand turns also suffer significantly less black tick as well. The country lanes in the new forest are not the easiest to get pictures but I will try and do my best to get some video I may purchase a dash cam for the sole purpose.

Kenny

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Saxman62 said:
So I had the front of my car rebuilt and the problem appears better the right hand dipped beam had been adjusted a tad high that apparently masked the problem an inbalance on the two low beams had me take the car back for teh headlights to be checked and they adjusted them to be spot on again. Result the black unlit zone is back but not quite as bad as before. I agree this is distracting but I do not think it to be necessarily dangerous and the gap is certainly not as bad as before the front end rebuild. I have also noticed that on certain roads that undualte up and down the gap can increase and even disappear as the angle of the car changes, so the self leveling lights appear to be constantly self adjusting, I am not sure if they move left and right on turning or if some other mechanism comes into play but I noticed that right hand turns also suffer significantly less black tick as well. The country lanes in the new forest are not the easiest to get pictures but I will try and do my best to get some video I may purchase a dash cam for the sole purpose.

Kenny

A static photo in a narrow lane would be fine Kenny - thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ok it has taken a while but I got my wife to take some pictures last nigt they are not the best but hopefully they show the black tick, I have noticed that the lights move when turning and going up or down hill so it only becomes prominent on straight level roads.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Have to say your lighting problem is not as bad as mine on the i30.

I'm waiting, a week later, for my Hyundai dealer to come back to me with a date to replace the lights under warranty. I suspect I'll be having to chase them - they don't seem to be as good as the Kia dealer I used previously. ˜¬

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for that Saxman.

Thet don't look as bad because you're on a two lane road, with wide verges. If you're on a narrow, single carriageway road with close hedges, it is a lot more prominent

·
Registered
82 Posts
it certainly is worse on single track roads and is considerably better now almost acceptable after the front of the car had to be rebuilt. to me there is a simple fix aim the whole unit down a bit and then bring up the dipped beam lights to the correct place again you would then get an overlap between the two light patterns but this can't be done apparently.Lets hope there is a fix for this soon.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts