Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a Kia Ceed and I suspect the car has been involved in a collision in its life....

1. The drivers side rear door and quarter panel has been resprayed in the past.

2. The rear wheel on the same side seems to sat further into the arch. There seems to be a bigger arch gap.

3. I've had a 4 wheel alignment done and the steering wheel is straight. However on some roads the steering wheel will turn to the left when I let go and the car will veer in that direction. The passenger side alloy does a flat spot however.

With these things does it sound likely that something isn't right, maybe bent frame or suspension?

Philip

·
Registered
302 Posts
if the tyre has a flat spot change it or fit spare wheel and see if the fault still occurs.

·
Registered
677 Posts
1. Probably just cosmetic damage, or minor damage.
Can the previous owner or seller shed light on this?

2. The rear wheel on the same side as what? The front? It's normal that front & rear are different.

3. So on some roads it runs straight ahead?
Unequal tyre pressures or uneven roads cause wandering to one side.

Does the wheel itself have a flat spot, not circular anymore? If you don't want to replace it, you could put it on the rear to see if that helps.

Does the ride height look correct at all 4 corners?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
If the 4 wheel alignment is good then the suspension geometry is basically correct, regardless of the shape of the body.

UK roads have a camber to allow for drainage and on most roads that camber is to the left. The car will naturally want to turn that way. The amount of camber varies and some roads are very nearly flat.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
HPI check show anything like a write off?

What age car?

Anyone else remember the old days when you could follow a (proper) Mini down the road and watch it crab it's way along the road and think to yourself...
That's had a shunt up the backside...

For a modern car to exhibit such traits would mean a very serious crash to deform the chassis to such a extent. Then it would only be fit for the crusher and never be put back on the road.

Could be that someone has done some bodywork replacement on one side and not got it all back in line. Hence the rear wheel looking sat further in. But you need to compare the rear wheels on each side (bit of wood & measure to see if they are set in the same amount. Rather than compare front to rear on one side.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If the 4 wheel alignment is good then the suspension geometry is basically correct, regardless of the shape of the body.
uneven ride height can indicate a broken spring which on a ceed wont make that much difference but is worth checking. Compare left and right carefully as it's not always obvious that a spiral is missing, usually at the bottom of the spring.
Check the tyre pressure when they are all cool, preferably first thing in the morning prior to driving. Sun light on one side and shade on the other is enough to create uneven pressures.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. Probably just cosmetic damage, or minor damage.
Can the previous owner or seller shed light on this?

2. The rear wheel on the same side as what? The front? It's normal that front & rear are different.

3. So on some roads it runs straight ahead?
Unequal tyre pressures or uneven roads cause wandering to one side.

Does the wheel itself have a flat spot, not circular anymore? If you don't want to replace it, you could put it on the rear to see if that helps.

Does the ride height look correct at all 4 corners?
1. I did actually email the garage I brought the car from but never got a reply.

2. The arch gap seems to be different to the rear wheel on the other side.

3. On some roads it does veer to the left so like you said it could be uneven road/camber, makes sense. I do intend to replace the alloy, I've seen a brand new one on ebay.

When the car is parked on a level surface the height does look equal.

Hopefully it's just cosmetic damage and it required that side to be resprayed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HPI check show anything like a write off?

What age car?

Anyone else remember the old days when you could follow a (proper) Mini down the road and watch it crab it's way along the road and think to yourself...
That's had a shunt up the backside...

For a modern car to exhibit such traits would mean a very serious crash to deform the chassis to such a extent. Then it would only be fit for the crusher and never be put back on the road.

Could be that someone has done some bodywork replacement on one side and not got it all back in line. Hence the rear wheel looking sat further in. But you need to compare the rear wheels on each side (bit of wood & measure to see if they are set in the same amount. Rather than compare front to rear on one side.
HPI was all clear and the car is 2012 '62' reg.

Good point about the possibility of the bodywork not been in line...🤔

1 - 10 of 10 Posts