Kia Owners Club Forum banner
321 - 340 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
I hear you chaps. I am losing patience with my Stinger too. I love pretty much everything about it, but can’t deal with the creaking roof.
I just don’t think you should have to be lubing doors and sunroofs every month in a £40k car.

I’m looking at other cars almost every day now……

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm looking a fair bit, but there's nothing else which fits the bill at the moment, that would make financial sense. The only cars I fancy are a long range or perf Model 3, or a Polestar. Both of these are too expensive. What do you reckon I'd get trade in on a 2017 GTS with 20k miles? I'm thinking not much over £20k?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm looking a fair bit, but there's nothing else which fits the bill at the moment, that would make financial sense. The only cars I fancy are a long range or perf Model 3, or a Polestar. Both of these are too expensive. What do you reckon I'd get trade in on a 2017 GTS with 20k miles? I'm thinking not much over £20k?
I think you would be surprised, the used market has gone mental in the last 2 months because of the semi conductor shortage and unavailability of new cars. I track the value of mine every month and as a rough guide through Auto Trader my Stinger has another 2k miles on it since May and increased by £1.8k in value in 2 months. Create an account for free and add your reg and mileage and it gives you a rough indicator of part ex and private values. It updates every time you log in too.

My wife's 1 series is also worth £1k more than she bought it for last July. It's gone crazy with dealers and auctions pushing the price up as they are desperate for stock.

Wow - just logged in again, so I updated my Stinger 3rd July @ 11.15k miles and private was £28,110, part ex £27,190. Price for today is £28,510 private and £27,580 part ex. Another £400-£500 in a week. As I said - the market has gone mental!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Although your car may be worth more than you expect, however the car you may want to buy has ALSO gone up, possibly by more if it's newer, so cost to change may be little different.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Although your car may be worth more than you expect, however the car you may want to buy has ALSO gone up, possibly by more if it's newer, so cost to change may be little different.
This is very true. Just like houses, you make £25k but you can guarantee the house you're buying next has also gone up the same.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Just rechecked mine as I may have a private sale next Month, if not will be traded (Hopefully new car should arrive beginning of August) and it has gone up by £1500 since I last checked, over £30k private and about £30k trade in - This makes a difference as there are NO discounts or dealer contributions on my new car as they are new into the market.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Realistically, unless I want to lump a load of cash in, I'm not going to get anything else which is better overall than the stinger, despite a sometime creaking roof, and leather seats which no longer match. In exactly the same way as I wish I never told the dealer about my wearing bolsters (as it didn't annoy me much before, and now their 'fix' really annoys me), the same thing may well happen if I change the car and end up regretting it! All my cars have had problems, so by changing I'd most likely just be changing one issue for another issue!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Realistically, unless I want to lump a load of cash in, I'm not going to get anything else which is better overall than the stinger, despite a sometime creaking roof, and leather seats which no longer match. In exactly the same way as I wish I never told the dealer about my wearing bolsters (as it didn't annoy me much before, and now their 'fix' really annoys me), the same thing may well happen if I change the car and end up regretting it! All my cars have had problems, so by changing I'd most likely just be changing one issue for another issue!
Similar thoughts to mine, but I also wonder if it’s the time to strike a deal.

I’m looking at fast-depreciating luxo-barges at about 2018. Amazing what you can get for £33-35k.

Add to that the fact that my (creaky but otherwise fantastic) Stinger is probably worth more now than it was 3 months ago and the fact that I keep adding miles to it!

I am also finding it increasingly hard to resist the urge to change …….. 🤦🙄🚗

·
Registered
130 Posts
The S8 and 750i's depreciate an obscene amount from list price. You get a hell of a lot of car for the money. My worry would be that they have so much tech crammed into them what are they like out of warranty?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Still a lot of money for a 6 year old car god knows what a service would be :eek:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi both, the S8 is a huge amount of car for way less than half price.

I’m looking slightly newer and slightly less powerful - but with toys. Will keep you guessing for a bit.

Service on the Stinger due on Friday. If I’m looking at big money on brakes, 25k miles on mine now, or anything else, I may decide to move on.
Whether Mrs Dunc agrees is, of course, another matter! 🙄

Still love the Stinger though, so nothing decided yet!

·
Registered
856 Posts
The S8 and 750i's depreciate an obscene amount from list price. You get a hell of a lot of car for the money. My worry would be that they have so much tech crammed into them what are they like out of warranty?
This is the big worry! My mate had a CL600, 2004. Paid £14k for it. It was immaculate and low mileage (40k I think). He put some bigger AMG wheels on it, added a throttle response adjuster thing, lowered it with software (air suspension) and remapped it to 500 bhp. For the money, it was incredible - silent, stupid fast, and looked really OEM+. But, it did go wrong - he had issues with the suspension which cost a lot. But still, probably cost him less than the depreciation on something newer. He sold it in the end and got a SL65 which ended up running 720bhp - that was only £40k. The good thing about that one was that he recently sold it for £50k, so wasn't a bad buy in the end.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't count on it …. there are a lot of various make cars with this issue, seems to be a common issue across the board :/
2 cars I previously owned I considered ordering with the sunroof, but changed my mind for fear of rattles.
I went to a Cupra showroom, got advised not to order a sunroof in with any car in a VW group. So the dealers are talking buyers out of an EUR1000 option lol.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sunroofs are a fundamentally difficult thing to get right. It's not really surprising if you think about the flex that must be going on all the time in the body of the car. I went in Bentley Bentayga fairly recently and that had a really bad sunroof.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sunroofs are a fundamentally difficult thing to get right. It's not really surprising if you think about the flex that must be going on all the time in the body of the car. I went in Bentley Bentayga fairly recently and that had a really bad sunroof.
Furstratingly my previous Kia Ceed had the pano sun roof and it was completely silent and rock solid for 4 years. Until the Stinger I had no idea they could ever be an issue. The Stinger being a much bigger car with more power it is not surprising that there must be some body flex but I still think that it should have been designed better for it to not creak and rattle like it does. On a really hot day and over a rubbish road it sounds like hailstones hitting the roof it is that loud. The fix is to just open it up and let that sun in :LOL:

·
Registered
Stinger GTS '17 (Ceramic Grey, Red Napa Leather)
19 Posts
Sunroof rattle attempt no.4: Left my car with Kia Bolton for 10 days when I took in for a service. Spoke to the service manager and told him this is a recurring problem that is doing my head in! Apparently Kia have sort of recognised the issue and asked the techs to apply some sort of solution to treat the rubber seals for the sunroof and doors. Which is what they did. Car was the quietest its ever been when I test drove it. Fingers crossed it works!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yes, it's not only the roof, in some weathers it seems like the seals on all the doors are making a huge amount of noise too. I'm still not convinced Kia know how to fix it. I was told there a fix using a spot weld, where as others are being told about the application of a 'solution'. There could be two issues here I suppose. My issue is more of a creaking than a rattle. I can see a creak being sorted with lubrication (although so far it's not worked). A rattle might need more structural strength added with a weld. Who knows. Personally, I don't think it will ever be fixed. I'm just going to turn the stereo up!

321 - 340 of 358 Posts