Kia Owners Club Forum banner

281 - 297 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Went i had a Ford Kuga it drove me mad, ended up having bits of tape stuck all over it found problem in the end took me months :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
100% agree. I'd much rather have a stiffer car and no sunroof. A big hole in car body is always going to be a problem. It's not only Kia that have this issue, it's a problem across all brands.
I do agree they aren't needed and have rarely used mine but in my Kia Ceed before the roof was perfect and never heard a single sound. This rattles and creaks from the moment I got it but as there doesn't appear to be a definitive fix I have never mentioned it to them and learned to live with it. Will be interesting to see how Dunc gets on with a new seal.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just heard from Kia. Roof seals replaced. Test driven yesterday in the sun, rattle had returned! 🤦

They have asked Kia Technical what to do next.

Obviously not happy. I am now asking myself what I will do if this is unresolved?

Put up with it or move on?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Oh no, how annoying! Difficult to say what to do next without hearing it to know just how bad it is. Of course, everyone has different tolerances to what they are willing to put up with.

You're dilemma would be what to replace it with!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Oh no, how annoying! Difficult to say what to do next without hearing it to know just how bad it is. Of course, everyone has different tolerances to what they are willing to put up with.

You're dilemma would be what to replace it with!
Exactly that!! Nothing for the same money that comes close......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dunc - sorry to hear about your continued problems!

The rattle in my sunroof was getting progressively worse for the past few months to the point where I was looking for any chance to open the roof to stop the noise (heated seats come into their own!)
I found I could make the noise happen when the car was stationary by pushing up on the glass in the front passenger side corner.
The car was in the dealer this week and it seems they have solved it. When I push up in the same corner the glass doesn't move as it did before, it all feels more solidly mounted in place. Apparently, the technician adjusted a "foot" that the mechanism rests on. They clearly used a lot of white grease!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that solves the issue...

·
Registered
575 Posts
I hope that solves the issue for you!

Mine is currently in bits at the dealer. Roof dismantled, headlining off etc. Seems they are determined to solve it. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

If not, I may have to move on. I’m that fed up with Kia and Kia Technical...... Some of the things Technical have asked the Master Tech to do are ludicrous. But, if he doesn’t follow their exact instructions, they are not paid for their warranty work by Kia.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I’ve spent half the evening looking at 540i xDrives with VDC and Harman Kardon......

🙄 hangs head in shame!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’ve spent half the evening looking at 540i xDrives with VDC and Harman Kardon......

🙄 hangs head in shame!
That is upsetting for you but if you do decide to leave the Stinger the 540i xdrive is a fantastic car. My dad has a 67 plate and it is so refined and quiet. He has never once put it into Sport mode or planted his foot so can't say how it feels in speed compared to the Stinger but I believe they are a touch faster to 60 without me googling specs.

Everybody views car ownership different but I would buy a 540i used. My dad paid £36k and it was 18 months old with 14k miles. New was £58k. That's one hell of a depreciation hit if buying new!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I also think the 540i xdrive is a lovely car, and here is the but , I would be worried about the servicing costs and god forbid it goes wrong outside warranty :unsure:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I also think the 540i xdrive is a lovely car, and here is the but , I would be worried about the servicing costs and god forbid it goes wrong outside warranty :unsure:
Haha, I haven’t gone there yet guys. Specced up as I’d want it (roof, VDC, HK, Apple CarPlay etc) they are a near £60k car new. So, I’d be 2017, 30k miles, £28-29k. A lot of car for the money.

But, I hope I get my car back next week. Need to get it cleaned up inside and out (I have told them not to wash it as usual), properly checked over and give it good run. So long as the roof is better, I’m sure I’ll love it again!

If not, we’ll have to see.

·
Registered
769 Posts
540i would be excellent. I'd not own one without a warranty though. I used to pay £55 per month for my warranty on the 330d one the 3 yrs was up. Well worth it, claimed many many times!

·
Registered
575 Posts
540i would be excellent. I'd not own one without a warranty though. I used to pay £55 per month for my warranty on the 330d one the 3 yrs was up. Well worth it, claimed many many times!
I’m rapidly going off the BMW idea...... reliability is very poor compared to Kia. The more research I do, the more I remember why I chose the Stinger in the first place!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’m rapidly going off the BMW idea...... reliability is very poor compared to Kia. The more research I do, the more I remember why I chose the Stinger in the first place!
I am seriously contemplating an E92 M3 in a couple of years to replace my MX5 once the Stinger is paid off but the amount of blown engines is mind blowing! The prevention fix costs £1,500. But the sound of that NA V8 is glorious. BMW reliability doesn't seem to be what it once was.

A colleague at work has had his 320i less than 3 years and has been in numerous times with cylinders failing and constantly going into limp mode which they still haven't managed to fix. Definitely get an extended warranty for one.

My friend also has a two year old M8 Competition and it is currently with BMW for a failed gearbox. Stuck in neutral and it's done less than 5k miles.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am seriously contemplating an E92 M3 in a couple of years to replace my MX5 once the Stinger is paid off but the amount of blown engines is mind blowing! The prevention fix costs £1,500. But the sound of that NA V8 is glorious. BMW reliability doesn't seem to be what it once was.

A colleague at work has had his 320i less than 3 years and has been in numerous times with cylinders failing and constantly going into limp mode which they still haven't managed to fix. Definitely get an extended warranty for one.

My friend also has a two year old M8 Competition and it is currently with BMW for a failed gearbox. Stuck in neutral and it's done less than 5k miles.
Nuff said. I just need my car back now so I can get it cleaned up and fall for it all over again!! (Sunroof fix-dependent of course)

My daughter (14) said today, “The stereo in this Stonic is crap, Daddy, I miss the Stinger. I want to go fast again too!”

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone have rattles from the sunroof glass? I decided to see if there was any sun today ( there wasn't.....) by sliding back the sunroof cover only. What I found was that the roof rattles appallingly - was like heavy rain falling on the roof glass (surprisingly it was not actually raining at the time). Seems it's a problem Kia have had with other models.
Hi Matt

My 2018 roof rattled in the summer months. Dealer greased front of rails at last service. All appears good so far.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Nuff said. I just need my car back now so I can get it cleaned up and fall for it all over again!! (Sunroof fix-dependent of course)

My daughter (14) said today, “The stereo in this Stonic is crap, Daddy, I miss the Stinger. I want to go fast again too!”
Spoke to Kia today. “Car still stripped down, roof fixed, but now waiting for warmer weather to test it out and check the fix” (tightened welds anyone?)
Sceptical but hopeful.

Audi S6 Avant c. 2017/8 now tempting me...... V8, 450 bhp, all the toys, space..... this car enthusiast game is never-ending.

If the Stinger isn’t fixed this time, gonna move on.

281 - 297 of 297 Posts