Kia Owners Club Forum banner

241 - 260 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
The rattle is now such that I am prepared for them to take the roof apart. If they break or scratch anything, they will have to fix it.

I wish they hadn’t fiddled with it at the 3rd service. It was pretty much okay before that.
It is currently spoiling my enjoyment of the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fixed mine myself and it's been quiet for nearly 3 months. I adjusted the bolts along the edge of the sunroof which killed most of the noise then used some adhesive 6mm closed cell foam along the rear of roof frame where there's any chance of metal on metal contact when closed & complete silence since. The only noise I have to find now is the ticking from the dash.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Fixed mine myself and it's been quiet for nearly 3 months. I adjusted the bolts along the edge of the sunroof which killed most of the noise then used some adhesive 6mm closed cell foam along the rear of roof frame where there's any chance of metal on metal contact when closed & complete silence since. The only noise I have to find now is the ticking from the dash.
When you say adjusted, was this tighten, or loosen? Do you need any special tools?

·
Registered
56 Posts
When you say adjusted, was this tighten, or loosen? Do you need any special tools?
I could push up on the front of the glass and replicate the clicking noise, so I loosened the front bolts pushed up on the glass and retightened until there was no longer any movement. Torx T25 to adjust.
omAAAgL7I-A-960.jpg

·
Registered
575 Posts
So, Kia called today as I brought the kids home from school in the X-Ceed 1.4 7-speed Twin-Clutch (well-specced car with the new large touchscreen, but a touch slow!)

“Your Stinger is ready, Sir

Me, “So what have you done to the roof?”

Kia lady, “I’m not sure but Jon and ‘Dave’ (can’t remember the second name) are happy with it.”

Jon is the service manager. I hope ‘Dave’ is their master tech.

Me, “I can’t collect it tonight but will swing by in the morning. Can you please find out exactly what has been done to the roof?”

“Of course Sir!”

So, we’ll see. I was hoping the problem would have been diagnosed (they said they were going to take the whole thing apart) properly.

Will update after collection tomorrow. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Intrigued to see if it has been sorted. Had my Stinger for 3 weeks now and it definitely rattles. Not enough to annoy me (yet) but I never had a peep from the panoramic roof on my Kia C'eed in 4 years and 64k miles. Definitely seems to be a fundamental issue with the design/manufacture on the Stinger.

·
Registered
575 Posts
So, update......

Into Kia. “We have taken the glass off, loosened the rails, made sure they are spot on, lubed all the contact points, re-tightened the rails and we are happy with it.”

Me, “Okay, thank you, but you have done all that before!”

“Yes, but we can only report what we find to Kia and they will then recommend what we do.........”

Me (slightly resigned and exasperated), “Okay, let’s see how it goes..........”

When I got into the car then blind was back. A good sign. The roof is silent so far. Well, one tiny very quiet creak over a big road imperfection which I took slowly. Silent again since. I haven’t dared open the roof yet as I’m enjoying the rattle free drive...... I have closed the blind and intend on forgetting it for a while and just enjoying the pace, engine and exhaust sounds and HK tunes.

if the roof starts rattling again, I’ll cross that bridge then. But, I will be speaking to Kia UK CS directly for sure.

Everything remains crossed 🤞🤞🤞🤞

·
Registered
575 Posts
Still creak and crack free....🤞

i haven’t opened it yet. Has been a little cold and wet, and also spent the weekend trying to diagnose (I think successfully) the water ingress in the boot of Mrs Dunc’s Golf 7.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Cheers buddy.

The Golf is a fantastic car. It’s the 1.4 GT Petrol 150bhp DSG. My wife loves it.
Quickish and easy to drive. 40+ mpg

Nav, DAB, does the job without fuss. Bought it early 2019, VW used approved. It’s a ‘64 ‘plate and had 19k miles. Now at 30k.

Usual water pump leak issue sorted by VW under warranty, done at the same time as the belt, all FOC.

Having had issues with VW in the past, have been impressed this time.

The water ingress is from behind the VW boot badge that doubles as the handle. The tube from that, which take the water away, comes loose / perishes. Known issue.

Having it sorted on Friday at the local VAG Indy. Good lads, they looked after my previous Skodas brilliantly.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Roof remains shut and silent. Totally silent. Oh, you can’t imagine how good a silent, rattle free car is, even over very poor surfaces.

I am scared to open it, but it’s wet and cold, so no need for now.

No rattles (my HuD was recently replaced too), happy kids, HK sounds and occasional Sports mode acceleration blasts on the school run...... happy days and long may it last!! 🤞🤞

·
Registered
Stinger GTS '17 (Ceramic Grey, Red Napa Leather)
8 Posts
I'm taking my GTS into Bolton next week to get the sunroof looked at again (3rd time). Here's to hoping I get lucky the third time!

·
Registered
575 Posts
So, the rattle has just started to return. Gentle, quiet noises started 3 days ago. Sadly my brain is so tuned in to them.

I opened the roof (for the first time since the fix) and closed it whilst travelling at about 20 mph.

It went quiet. For a day or so. Now gently chuntering away again.

So, what next? My dealer has had at least three attempts to fix it.........

@Kia Customer Service any thoughts?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Oh damn it. That's really annoying. I'm starting to think this issue is not one which can be solved.

No harm in using Cust Services I guess. Only takes a few mins to write an email.

241 - 260 of 297 Posts