Kia Owners Club Forum banner

201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
My dealer was only doing essential maintenance when it went in a couple of weeks ago so didn't look at the roof. I'll be trying a different dealer next time probably, so I'll see what they say.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I haven't read all 11 pages but just out of curiosity do the guys who have rattles go over speed bumps to one side and not over the centre. Just thinking it might be twisting the frame slightly?

·
Registered
642 Posts
No, happens even when driving on a straight road, but it does get worse on chassis flex, but doesn't have to be flex anyway near as much as going over a speed bump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ditto. Nothing to do with speed bumps.
I'm getting the roof looked at next Wednesday by Kia Chippenham when the car's in for a service. I mentioned a TSB & was told there wasn't one on their system. This doesn't match with other people's comments on this forum which is a bit concerning. 🤔🤔
Oh well see what happens next week.🤞

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fixed. 🤞
No rattles on the 100mile trip afterwards. 👍
Kia Engineer said he tried regreasing the seal first but that only made a slight improvement. Then he loosened the sunroof frame and reset it after doing a number of test operations.
That was the fix. 😃
Also note he confirmed Kia do not have a TSB for this.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Good news!

But, I have had my frame reset twice. Last time two weeks ago. Has made it worse.

Kia did say that ‘slight rattles’ would not be sufficient for a new sunroof under warranty.
I sense I may have to challenge that assumption soon. I love everything else about the car so much, I am willing to persevere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agree. The car has so many positives. 😉
The hot weather is due to return this weekend so that'll be a test of the fix. 🤞

·
Registered
696 Posts
I am sorry I have a good dealer, but unless there is a cast iron fix no one is touching it, I've still got air buffeting sound talked to dealer about it they have never heard of it, its in for service sat will tell them if nothing loose underneath leave it i can live with it, only does it 1st thing when engine or exhaust cold , I don't want it coming out with any rattles :mad:

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you can unclip those plastic covers on the inside of the sunroof, don't force them off & you can make adjustments yourself, mines a lot better but it still needs some tweaking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fixed. 🤞
No rattles on the 100mile trip afterwards. 👍
Kia Engineer said he tried regreasing the seal first but that only made a slight improvement. Then he loosened the sunroof frame and reset it after doing a number of test operations.
That was the fix. 😃
Also note he confirmed Kia do not have a TSB for this.
There is a TSB for sunroof rattles but its restricted which means its classified info that cannot be shared outside the dealer network

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is a TSB for sunroof rattles but its restricted which means its classified info that cannot be shared outside the dealer network
Seems the new fix is by lifting the rails and putting in material between them and the body, some people have had luck by forcing a gap and placing a washers under the bolts at the front of the rails.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seems the new fix is by lifting the rails and butting in material between them and the body, some people have had luck by forcing a gap and placing a washers under the bolts at the front of the rails.
Thanks guys. I'll ask Kia Chippenham about the TSB again.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Okay, so I’m at the dealer this morning for a new HuD as the current one rattles a lot on uneven roads.

However, since my service on 10th September, where they once again greased the sunroof rails, the roof has been worse than ever. Before this last service, it was acceptable, rarely rattled, and I had decided to live with it.

But I decided last week that enough was enough. The dealership (who have been very good) have tried four or five times to sort it without success. I have told them this morning that this is unacceptable for a luxury car, that I am happy with their service and repeated attempts to fix it, but that I have had enough and want them to approach Kia again for a solution.

Will report back later...... wish me luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Okay, so I’m at the dealer this morning for a new HuD as the current one rattles a lot on uneven roads.

However, since my service on 10th September, where they once again greased the sunroof rails, the roof has been worse than ever. Before this last service, it was acceptable, rarely rattled, and I had decided to live with it.

But I decided last week that enough was enough. The dealership (who have been very good) have tried four or five times to sort it without success. I have told them this morning that this is unacceptable for a luxury car, that I am happy with their service and repeated attempts to fix it, but that I have had enough and want them to approach Kia again for a solution.

Will report back later...... wish me luck.
I get the rattle from the HUD sometimes as well. I give it a good whack, like you would an old TV, and it stops for a while! ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I get the rattle from the HUD sometimes as well. I give it a good whack, like you would an old TV, and it stops for a while! ;)
Sure, I have pushed, whacked and tried to fettle mine to no avail. Decided to use the warranty.

Hopefully they don’t take the dash apart, or other rattles may follow!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Back at dealer. Car just being tested to check new HuD not rattling 🤞

Regarding the sunroof, the next stage, in order for them to escalate to Kia, is to have the car in for 2 days and take the whole thing apart, inside and out, headlining etc included. Makes me nervous, but as I intend to keep the car long-term, I think it’s worth it to get rid of the sunroof rattle once and for all.

This will likely be in November as I will need a courtesy car.

I seem to have spent too much time here at Kia recently. I love the car and am telling myself it is worth it to get the car sorted once and for all. At least it is costing me nothing more than my time........

201 - 220 of 232 Posts