Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have rattles from the sunroof glass? I decided to see if there was any sun today ( there wasn't.....) by sliding back the sunroof cover only. What I found was that the roof rattles appallingly - was like heavy rain falling on the roof glass (surprisingly it was not actually raining at the time). Seems it's a problem Kia have had with other models.

·
Registered
973 Posts
All new models will have teething issues.

The real test is if the manufacturer then steps up and takes ownership of the problem and resolves it for the customer.
Rather than fobbing them off with lame excuses.
Lets see.......

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
MattBrown said:
Anyone have rattles from the sunroof glass? I decided to see if there was any sun today ( there wasn't.....) by sliding back the sunroof cover only. What I found was that the roof rattles appallingly - was like heavy rain falling on the roof glass (surprisingly it was not actually raining at the time). Seems it's a problem Kia have had with other models.

I tend to drive round with the blind open most of the time and the odd few days that it hasn't been raining I have had the sunroof open or Tilted open

I have had no problems, No rattles or noises at all, I have not had any rattles from the Boot area that a few people have had either, I wonder if Kia have sorted the problems on the later build cars ?

It's quite a novelty for me as I haven't had a sunroof in a car for over 30 years.

The last one I had was in a Ford Granada Estate, which was a manual Folding Vinyl Roof and it was Beige - I loved that car

Phil

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm like msimega .... I have the screen back lot at the moment as the sun isn't too hot and the extra light is nice, and no lt one squeak. I don't have the glass section open much though, but that's not you or problem anyway.

Get it to a dealership and checked out.

Welcome to the world of early adapotors

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a Kia Stinger in January 2019 ,after about 3 months it developed a rattle ,particularly noticeable at slow speed . Kia admitted it had been reported by other owners and a warranty repair was available . Car is currently at the dealer for repair (2 day job )

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got a slight rattle when the blind is open but i can live with it. My bro-in-law suggested a silicon lubricant (sparingly) that might help. He works for Eurocar parts and says it's what a lot of body shops and garages use to eliminate squeaks and rattles on door shuts, boots bonnets and sunroofs and other areas. I did use some on my boot rubber and it worked a treat but not yet applied the the sun roof blind as can't see where to apply it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I too always drive with the blind open. My sunroof creaks more than rattles, especially on poor surfaces. If I shut the blind I get relative silence. I'm not sure whether the blind also has a slight rattle. Interestingly during wet weather the creaking stops, I imagine the water is acting as a lubricant. I've used a silicon lubricant on all of the rubbers that I can get to, this helps for a while.

As a previous person said, it's probably the early models that are affected, I too had the infamous tailgate rattle that was fixed using the TSB that Kia issued. Not convinced about the dealership being able to fix the sunroof though as another Stinger owner tried this route, they removed the sunroof and actually made it worse!

I feel it's not bad enough to worry about.

·
Registered
145 Posts
After fixing my tailgate rattle I now notice the sunroof noise (which I thought was from the tailgate). It stops the instant I open the sunroof. It's much worse when the car has been in the sun. That's not too often as it's usually under cover when not being driven (and I live in Glasgow).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too always drive with the blind open. My sunroof creaks more than rattles, especially on poor surfaces. If I shut the blind I get relative silence. I'm not sure whether the blind also has a slight rattle. Interestingly during wet weather the creaking stops, I imagine the water is acting as a lubricant. I've used a silicon lubricant on all of the rubbers that I can get to, this helps for a while.

As a previous person said, it's probably the early models that are affected, I too had the infamous tailgate rattle that was fixed using the TSB that Kia issued. Not convinced about the dealership being able to fix the sunroof though as another Stinger owner tried this route, they removed the sunroof and actually made it worse!

I feel it's not bad enough to worry about.
That was mine. I now have a case open with KIA but am still waiting to hear back, I'm hoping for a replacement of the sunroof. I know on the US forum some people are waiting on replacements and one who has had his replaced and completely cured.

·
Registered
39 Posts
KIA Called back today! Initially KIA Bolton were told that the roof could be cured by adjusting it, which they explained they had already tried so KIA are sending out a technician to them to inspect the car & we have to take it back in on the 8th July and leave it with them.
The noise happens whether the sunroof is open or closed in any position and has now become while not loud a constant irritation and just ruins the enjoyment of the car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine needs some attention as you can hear it rattle with the blind open. It's the only thing that does make a noise though so generally I'm a happy bunny and just either keep the blind shut, open the roof or turn the stereo up a bit more. I definitely want to get it rectified at some stage but some of the tales in this thread have put me right off ha ha!

I'll keep watch with interest and when a solid fix appears to be nailed down I'll drop mine in for a look. Cheers all! :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Agreed, I can live with it until I'm certain they'll know how to fit it! At the moment my attention is focused on getting rid of the horrid refurbished wheels the dealer put on my car :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well it seems like both me, my partner & the guys in the service bay are a bit peeved off! The technician turned up took it for a drive agreed that there was a problem & proceeded to have them tear the roof apart and do the exact same thing they did last time despite being told that's what had already been done and fixed the alleged tail gate issue which we didn't even have or notice, then went on to tell us "Your car is now one of the quietest" Oh ok, so they all make noise but ours is now quieter, makes me wonder how many issues they've had.
So it's ready for us to pick up in the morning and I'm not convinced the issue is going to be fixed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Keep us posted!

No change! The technician has signed off the work as done & says he's done what he can. Really not happy and they've just had a grey one in for the same thing(apparently fixed) & a white one that's come in for the 2nd time, this from a guy that phoned us back from the service dept, so they know there's a problem.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ah, that sucks. Really annoying. I think this is a wait and see job - I expect there'll be a solution in due course. For the time being, I'll drive the blind closed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wouldn't count on it …. there are a lot of various make cars with this issue, seems to be a common issue across the board :/
2 cars I previously owned I considered ordering with the sunroof, but changed my mind for fear of rattles.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts