Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sportage GTlineS 1.6 CRDI 2wd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post on here but would like peoples experience or opinions. In May I noticed the rubber seal between the two glass panels in the sunroof (2018 Sportage GT Line S) had a couple of small holes in it. I couldn’t see how it had happened as there is no sign or perishing or rubbing. I thought maybe an animal (bird?) had pecked it and caused the hole. To stop any leaks I covered the holes with some black electrical tape and it was such a good patch you could barely see it. I booked my car in for its 4th service in July and mentioned the sunroof issue, but expected them to say not covered under warranty.
To my surprise they have said it is covered, but now I’m worried how intrusive the replacement might be. I really don’t want to introduce any leaks in through the roof of my car but also don’t want to get stung at resale time or if a separate issue comes up later and they say it’s not covered because of this issue
Looking for info if anyone else has had an issue with their sunroof rubber seals perishing and being replaced, and if it caused any later issues? Or if anyone knows if the glass needs to come out to replace the rubber seals?

Here is a pic of the holes
Cloud Hood Sky Gesture Automotive tire

It looks like the rubber trim runs along the centre of the roof, and down each side of the back glass panel.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2018 Sportage GTlineS 1.6 CRDI 2wd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for your replies. It could have torn if I opened it when it was frosty I suppose. I use it fairly regularly.

My main concern now is the replacement, and if anyone else has had theirs replaced by a dealer? It’s a rubber strip that goes from the centre and down both sides of the back glass panel. I don’t want them to introduce any leaks and I’ve read for earlier Sportages it required the whole glass panel to be removed which sounds like a potential for problems in the future if not refitted perfectly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts