Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the Ceed 1.6 CRDi SW Auto has a conventional sump gasket or is it sealed to the engine block using some other method?
Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Why would you want to muck about with the sump. Is it not covered under warranty.
Had a look at parts diag and its not showing a gasket so its possibly a bead of sealer is used instead.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is in Dealers now for an oil leak and they are trying (without much success) to cure using a sealant. I would have thought a new gasket was the requirement. Or is a sealant repair the official Kia Warranty Bodge?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Davy.
You are right, there is no normal gasket.

I have found instructions for refitting the sump (oil pan) and this is what should be used:-

Three Bond 1217H

RTV-Silicone Liquid Gasket, High Elongation Type

I will be paying a visit tomorrow armed with full instructions for refitting and see what they are doing wrong. They have had at least 3 attempts (that I know of)over the last week to sort this.

I want my Ceed back, don't want this Picanto any more, thank you very much.

Can you tell that I am not happy?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just checked in a pdf document I have for the 1.6 petrol engine that specifies the same sealant you have listed to be applied inside the inner line of bolt holes and installed within five minutes of application.

The obvious question is has the sump been grounded at some time causing it to be distorted?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I know there are no signs of grounding.
I have a feeling that they are trying to seal just the area of the leak instead of removing properly and replacing complete sealant bead.

Should find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i know its weird when you are used to seeing gaskets to move from that to what is used frequently now these are the new silicones and high modulus sealants they are as good if not better than a joint but you have to have a spotless surface totally degreased and the mating surfaces have to be assembled in a set sequence and to the correct torque or the joint
will not seal at all there will also be a tightening sequence of the peripheral bolts this is to esnsure the sump pan is bolted down evenly and in a controlled manner
if the above is not followed its really game over, waste of time ,start again! sorry but its that simple !

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just looked again at my engine manual and realise there are two possible places for the oil to leak 1st the lower half of the engine that they call the ladder frame and would have been the sump on most of the cars I have owned, this uses the sealant you described to be around the inner edge of the bolt holes. There is then a very specific tightening sequence done in three stages each stage with a specified torque.

Then there is the oil pan again using the specified sealant applied inside the bolt holes but in addition it says some sealant should be applied to the inside edge of the threaded holes for the bolts. The oil pan only has a simple tightening sequence.

So where is your oil leak from e.g. the joint between the lower part of the engine and the aluminium ladder frame/sump or lower down still at the joint between the steel oil pan and the aluminium ladder frame sump.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's the oil pan joint that is leaking. It shouldn't really be so difficult to seal if they follow the instructions correctly. Will let you know of progress tomorrow.

·
Registered
662 Posts
ok my money is on the front crankshaft seal seen these leak and they look like the leaks coming from the front edge of the sump the seal is not available as a seperate part and comes as part of the oil pump assy

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi

Over an 8 month period I had a marathan oil leak on my 05 plated Mini Cooper S, now long gone thank god. I suspected it was a driveshaft/diff leak all along but the dealer initially insisted it was the sump plug, they removed and replaced it (together with the oil) and it still leaked. Took it back and they changed the sump gasket (together with the oil) and it still leaked. Took it back and they had it a week and changed the rear crank seal (together with the oil), it still leaked. Finally they agreed it was the diff/driveshaft but I part chopped it before bothering to get it sorted, all under warranty. It had very clean oil in it.

Hope your saga is quicker than mine was.

Paul

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I have actually got my car back, after 7 days, but don't yet know if it iscured.
Will find out over the next few days I suppose. Need a cold morning or two to test for starting and a clean patch of road outside home and in car park at work to check for oil.

It's so nice to have my own car back.

·
Registered
111 Posts
sorry couldnt post but been away for a day or so! hows the leak ? gone i hope ! if you are having difficulty keeping an eye on it bcause of the tray a small inspection mirror is a real bonus, we used to use them a lot in my old job for checking in hard to get at spots the ones on a telescopic wand with a swivel can help lots with stuff like bulb changing as well , they are about in the diy outlets pundland etc, if we really were struggling to source a leak it was steam cleaned and the allowed to dry and talcum powder was slung about over the area , it was pretty clear after that as the leak was pinpointed at its source by the black tell tale on the talc ! bit tricky on a car engine but sprays are avaliable that do the same thing , could be as previously written a bogus one that isnt the sump at all! a favourite was the cam carrier gasket on the fiat engines of old( tipos , unos etc) it was really tricky to identify the leak at its source.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yeh but it will eventually leak onto the clean cardboard. Obviously if you have an undertray it wont show up exactly where it is dripping from but will still show up as a leak.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got my car back after 6 days. (Service, oil leak and poor starting)
So far so good. I cannot see any signs ofa leak (yet). Though it could be collecting in the undertray? as the level has dropped slightly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well credit where it's due.
When car went in for cruise control and starting problem, I asked them to check for oil leak.

Good news is that oil leak is cured.

Wish they would hurry up and cure starting and cruise control too.
Edited by: lovemysportywagon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts